BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dont panic, I'm not asking about the pros/cons of exhaust flapper removal. I've decided to find out for myself what the pros/cons are. Removing exhaust valve took minutes so its simple to put back on, if I need to.

Today I installed the Remus exhaust flapper removal pipe. Everything went well until I started the bike up. I have a small amount of exhaust gases escaping from the joints around the Remus connector. I've pushed the remus connector in as far as it will go in both pipes but it still looks like it's not seating correctly. The exhaust clamps are tightened up as far as they will go. Should I be using any exhaust sealant or should I expect it to be air tight without the sealant.

I have the BMW low Akro installed, which shouldnt make any difference.
IMAG0737[1].jpg

·
Administrator
12,389 Posts
When I fitted a flapper removal link pipe I put a smear of exhaust paste around the circumference of both ends of the link pipe before reassembling the exhaust system. Worked a treat.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You may need to get new exhaust clamps if the sealant does not work. I believe the Remus is thinner-walled than OEM so the OEM clamps don't tighten enough.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that would figure. Shame non of suppliers mention this when you buy the product. I'll try the exhaust sealant first and update the post.

Thanks for the excellent feedback.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dont panic, I'm not asking about the pros/cons of exhaust flapper removal. I've decided to find out for myself what the pros/cons are. Removing exhaust valve took minutes so its simple to put back on, if I need to.

Today I installed the Remus exhaust flapper removal pipe. Everything went well until I started the bike up. I have a small amount of exhaust gases escaping from the joints around the Remus connector. I've pushed the remus connector in as far as it will go in both pipes but it still looks like it's not seating correctly. The exhaust clamps are tightened up as far as they will go. Should I be using any exhaust sealant or should I expect it to be air tight without the sealant.

I have the BMW low Akro installed, which shouldnt make any difference. View attachment 128342
It doesn't look like it's pushed in far enough, there shouldn't be any gap between the raised centre section and the pipe; they should butt together flush.
As for sealant, clear silicone bathroom sealant works a treat, I picked up that tip from an endurance race team manager. Cheap, light, fast and effective, easy to peel off too.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Thanks Stinky that a good one ! Those are the sweet treats this forum is all about for me.
Cheers Mate. StayUpOn2

·
Banned
660 Posts
Mine is the exact same set up as yours and doesn't leak, the clamps do up tight enough on mine no problem, I think @Stinky is right, mine sits flush on both sides.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good news, the Remus connector pipe is installed. I measured the Remus connector and its about 0.5cm longer than the BMW exhaust valve connector, which explains why it doesnt seat further into the pipes. Because the exhaust hanger has room for adjustment, I could still do up the pipes with the Remus installed. To stop the small amount of exhaust leakage I used a smear of exhaust paste and it cured the issue. I did temporarily put the original exhaust valve back on the bike and when there was a slight amount of exhaust leakage I figured that exhaust fitting paste was going to be needed anyhow, so why not take the plunge and see what difference, if any, the Remus makes.

So the conclusion is, use exhaust fitting paste, if there's any exhaust leaks and check the size of the Remus connector prior to fitting.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Can I not just grind the ends down by that .5mm? Would that also work? Won't the silicone solution just melt?
Speedorchild2020, good question. If you machined the end by a 1/2mm exactly I’m sure the result would work but grinding is not an exact science and no matter how careful you are it’s unlikely going to have a perfect edge. It’s going to leak. If it does and it’s not a bad leak you can use 100% silicon caulk for a temporary fix. Eventually the bond will begin to break down and not stick (it won’t melt) it can be replaced with new caulk when needed and maintained in this way .... or machined correctly and sealed correctly. 100% pure silicon caulk will start breaking down around 500° So use on the lower part of the exhaust is feasible. Obviously the closer you get to the cylinder head the hotter it’s going to get. Silicon is a temporary fix. There are other compounds designed for high heat that would work better but getting the mechanical method, ..a good tight physical fit ...is the best answer ......Blitz

·
Registered
2015 R nine T
13 Posts
Thanks pal for the reply. I'm thinking it is just easier to order one. I looked online but mostly in UK. Any thoughts on a company in Canada that would ship it?
thanks again.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Thanks pal for the reply. I'm thinking it is just easier to order one. I looked online but mostly in UK. Any thoughts on a company in Canada that would ship it?
thanks again.
Sorry Mate, I know little about north of the Mason/Dixon line in my own country let alone into Canada. Check the FS (for sale) sections here, who knows, it could happen ... otherwise I guess your left with Amazon drone drop or an Uber snowmobile. ...... I understand that the Canadian Police are strict on emission regulations ... Yes? If not ... what’s a little leak going to hurt, just remember not to run it in the bike shed with the door closed ... Have you tried any local muffler or pipe shops, shouldn’t be that hard to find or modify a short piece of steel tubing, and probably cheaper too. Give it shot ... Good Luck / Keep Warm ......Blitz

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
thanks again.
Look at Chris’s thread ... Local Resource Listing ... it’s all about Canananada. 👍

1 - 15 of 15 Posts