BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the bike in for its initial service at 702 miles and after getting it home decided it was time to swap out the exhaust. This is the only bike I've ever owned that actually had a nice sounding stock exhaust so my motivation for the change was not really more sound but instead to get rid of the bulky cat and goofy flapper valve.

I ordered the Remus header and flapper delete but I did not like their silencers as they are IMO too angular and modern looking for the bike. Enter the SC Project Conic silencer, it was a perfect match for the rest of the system.

I also used the Heal Tech servo eliminator to totally remove the motor and cables. Install on this was easy and straightforward, Also after install it did not post a fault on startup.

Quality is outstanding on both products, I absolutely love the golden hue the head pipes are already taking on after about 60 miles of riding. The bike runs absolutely better in every way. The anemic stock dip at 4000-4500 rpm is all but gone and the bike pulls much cleaner and smoother off idle thru 5000rpm. It's not as tinny feeling down low, its much deeper and more business like. Sound is like beautiful music to the right ears, especially when you gently roll on/off the throttle at say 5000 rpm...:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
That looks amazing you have taken one of the best looking bikes available and made it even better.
Definition of cherry on top of a cake!
I did fit full remus system on my previous GS and the transformation was unbelievable, how the exhaust gases get past the cat is a mystery on its own.

·
Administrator
12,502 Posts
Definitely a visual improvement over stock. Glad you are happy with the results.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just had the bike in for its initial service at 702 miles and after getting it home decided it was time to swap out the exhaust. This is the only bike I've ever owned that actually had a nice sounding stock exhaust so my motivation for the change was not really more sound but instead to get rid of the bulky cat and goofy flapper valve.

I ordered the Remus header and flapper delete but I did not like their silencers as they are IMO too angular and modern looking for the bike. Enter the SC Project Conic silencer, it was a perfect match for the rest of the system.

I also used the Heal Tech servo eliminator to totally remove the motor and cables. Install on this was easy and straightforward, Also after install it did not post a fault on startup.
Where did you buy the header, flapper and servo eliminator? Does the Remus have the cross-over pipe?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Where did you buy the header, flapper and servo eliminator? Does the Remus have the cross-over pipe?
The header came from revzilla and the silencer/servo eliminator from Motivation USA.

The Remus does not have the crossover pipe and that's the main reason I ordered it. According to all the data i have seen the crossover does absolutely nothing as far as hp or torque on this particular machine.

I know they can be beneficial and I've had both H and X pipe crossovers on vintage Chevy hot rods and it does make a difference in sound.

I suspect on this machine the crossover is not far enough downstream to really make a difference and for me it kinda gets in the way aesthetically.

Also, i mounted up some new Michelin Power RS tires. All i can say is they are absolutely phenomenal tires. I've long been a fan of the Pilot Powers and have run them exclusively for the past 15+ yrs on several machines including a TL1000, Bandit 1200, and my 900SS Ducati. I love the profile on these tires, they fall effortlessly into a turn and hold a line like nobody's business. These new RS tires do that and more, they are absolutely the stickiest street tires i have ridden.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The header came from revzilla and the silencer/servo eliminator from Motivation USA.

The Remus does not have the crossover pipe and that's the main reason I ordered it. According to all the data i have seen the crossover does absolutely nothing as far as hp or torque on this particular machine.

I know they can be beneficial and I've had both H and X pipe crossovers on vintage Chevy hot rods and it does make a difference in sound.

I suspect on this machine the crossover is not far enough downstream to really make a difference and for me it kinda gets in the way aesthetically.

Also, i mounted up some new Michelin Power RS tires. All i can say is they are absolutely phenomenal tires. I've long been a fan of the Pilot Powers and have run them exclusively for the past 15+ yrs on several machines including a TL1000, Bandit 1200, and my 900SS Ducati. I love the profile on these tires, they fall effortlessly into a turn and hold a line like nobody's business. These new RS tires do that and more, they are absolutely the stickiest street tires i have ridden.
Thanks for the info, your setup looks great. Did you do anything with the air/fuel or ECU after adding it? From the pics it looks like you kept your OEM oxygen sensors.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No change to the ECU and thats the strangest thing of all to me coming off carbed bikes. My only other experience with a FI motorcycle was with a 2001 TL1000S where I installed Yoshimura slipons without a remap and it ran like a beast. Everything else I've played with has been carbed and everytime you do a full system its gonna require full rejetting. The old 16v air cooled Suzukis would pop and wheeze thru the airbox on stock jetting when running a full system.

It certainly doesn't have that lean falling on its face feel in any way in the current configuration. I suspect the ECU is keeping up, I did the first 50 miles or so after exhaust install rather easily under various load conditions in the event the ECU was lagging in keeping up and needed some learn time ; ).

The only abnormality was on the initial start after exhaust install it lit off and burbled once or twice and quit...I turned it off, hit the start button again and it burbled to life like it never happen...

Im at 950 miles after riding it today and have started to really get into the meat of the powerband and must say this machine has a nice swooping rush about it, its power delivery is so silky smooth and manageable as it just keeps building. Its not explosive or abrupt and at no time does the machine feel hurried in any way. I find the stock front Brembos excellent and easily up to the task of hauling this thing down from speed, especially with the Michelin's

Suspension is gonna be the next main upgrade.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quality is outstanding on both products, I absolutely love the golden hue the head pipes are already taking on after about 60 miles of riding. The bike runs absolutely better in every way. The anemic stock dip at 4000-4500 rpm is all but gone and the bike pulls much cleaner and smoother off idle thru 5000rpm. It's not as tinny feeling down low, its much deeper and more business like. Sound is like beautiful music to the right ears, especially when you gently roll on/off the throttle at say 5000 rpm...:)

I have the same application except I bought the Arrow headers and I installed the Rapid Bike Air/Fuel Module. I would recommend installing some sort of air/fuel module

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bike looms great man. I see the side license plate u picked up from my friend worked out. Hopefully ill see u on the road some time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
This solved my first question nicely, Thanks for the tips. Remus and Akropivic slip-on will by my likely choice. Great to know the crossover pipe isn’t necessary.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same application except I bought the Arrow headers and I installed the Rapid Bike Air/Fuel Module. I would recommend installing some sort of air/fuel module
Interesting, did you go with the EVO or Racing model and did you install it yourself?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No doubt a proper remap would be the best solution. My point was the ECU is apparently keeping up with the changes as the bike is not running any leaner than it was stock.

I'm not real enthused about the piggyback options and to me the Bren tune looks like the way to go. Improving the on/off throttle transitions and reducing engine braking is my main criteria and it looks like the Bren has that sorted nicely. Also moving the powerband up thru 8000 rpm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts