BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

week ago my bike was delivered.As it is in title of this post, it is the brand new model of Urban GS.
The only thing that is really spoiling my happiness is absence of rev counter. I want it for gear positions and general aesthetics, as most of people that chose this way.
However, my dealer is saying(and it was confirmed by another dealer in my country) that it is not possible to install rev counter on my bike.
reasoning of first dealer was, that the new screen around light is too slim to fit both gauges and that this new euro 5 models Control Unit does not support this installation and might malfunction(bike refusing to start etc.).
Second dealer knew nothing about this problem and said, they had installations in the past and they worked no problem. He promised to check the part and let me know.

What is weird is that my local dealer said to me, that the original BMW rev counter is fake and BMW does not provide factory rev counter and the cable, which is hidden under tank is not for the rev counter but for “other uses”.

My second dealer sent me message today stating only: “I was unable to find out, if it is possible to fit rev counter on your bike.”
So my question is-is it possible to install it, or should I forget about it?
thank you

· Registered
2018 Urban G/S
319 Posts
I do not have direct experience with this. However, when I ordered my 2022 UGS last fall, my dealer looked into it and said he thought they could install the tachometer (what we used to call a rev counter in the old days). It would require changing the mounting hardware from single to dual gauge, but he saw no impediment. I later cancelled my order, though, because he had no allocation and could not tell me when he would be able to tell me when I might get the bike, so I bought a slightly used one instead. I do wish I had the tach, but not enough to tackle the mod myself. I'd rather just go riding.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't think they changed anything from 21 to 22.

Do you know how easy is to install it myself? I watched some YouTube videos, does not seem complicated, most people are saying it is basically plug and play but I do not know.
it is weird, that BMW does not want owners to install the rev counter.

· Registered
70 Posts
I just put one on my 21 Scrambler and it was fairly easy. It's a bit fiddly to get the old bracket off and install the new one because getting to the screws between the cables is awkward. The rest is very easy but you will probably need to lift the tank to get the cable out.

Mine work as soon as I switched the bike on.

Cheers

· Registered
2020 RnineT/5 and 2022 Honda Navi
28 Posts
Check out the Devmoto plug-in. Love mine.

· Registered
2021 Urban GS 40 Years
7 Posts
There is no change to 22, just make sure it is the updated part number. The tach for our has the roundel and NOT the Motorrad text.

I did the install on my 21 Urban, no issues with the screen. The install took 15-20 with just basic tools. The harness is on the right side just in front of the tank, mine was zip tied to the frame.
Parts:
77538389483 - Mounting Kit 62111691265 - Tach

Ordered parts from europe-moto.com $440 for everything.

· Registered
138 Posts
Check out the Devmoto plug-in. Love mine.

I loved my DEVmoto until recently my gauge becomes very funky. It turns out the water/or moisture gets into the waterproof wrap and fungus grows on the broad. I personally think the waterproof design is not robust enough. I contacted them and they wanted me to ship it back to France. But they haven't said what they are going to do with it after I shipped it back to France and they can refund my shipping. The tone of how DEVmoto replied to me makes me feel not very confident to deal with them. I just feel very frustrated recently and haven't replied to them yet. The owner said they did have a waterproof coating on the electronics, I don't know, does that mean it was my fault or not🤣. I always kept my Urban/GS indoor and I didn't ride it in rain.
The item is very good, but I don't think this add-on has excellent reliability from my own experience.
Hand Guitar accessory Finger Electronic component Audio equipment

White Light Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part

Tire Light Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting

· Registered
2022 Scrambler, HD Rocker FXCWC;
1,138 Posts

· Registered
Urban G/S
105 Posts
I loved my DEVmoto until recently my gauge becomes very funky. It turns out the water/or moisture gets into the waterproof wrap and fungus grows on the broad. I personally think the waterproof design is not robust enough. I contacted them and they wanted me to ship it back to France. But they haven't said what they are going to do with it after I shipped it back to France and they can refund my shipping. The tone of how DEVmoto replied to me makes me feel not very confident to deal with them. I just feel very frustrated recently and haven't replied to them yet. The owner said they did have a waterproof coating on the electronics, I don't know, does that mean it was my fault or not🤣. I always kept my Urban/GS indoor and I didn't ride it in rain.
The item is very good, but I don't think this add-on has excellent reliability from my own experience. View attachment 154502
View attachment 154504
View attachment 154503
Thanks for sharing real life experience of living with DEVmoto, I was tempted to go with with this but I'm having doubts after seeing these pictures.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

week ago my bike was delivered.As it is in title of this post, it is the brand new model of Urban GS.
The only thing that is really spoiling my happiness is absence of rev counter. I want it for gear positions and general aesthetics, as most of people that chose this way.
However, my dealer is saying(and it was confirmed by another dealer in my country) that it is not possible to install rev counter on my bike.
reasoning of first dealer was, that the new screen around light is too slim to fit both gauges and that this new euro 5 models Control Unit does not support this installation and might malfunction(bike refusing to start etc.).
Second dealer knew nothing about this problem and said, they had installations in the past and they worked no problem. He promised to check the part and let me know.

What is weird is that my local dealer said to me, that the original BMW rev counter is fake and BMW does not provide factory rev counter and the cable, which is hidden under tank is not for the rev counter but for “other uses”.

My second dealer sent me message today stating only: “I was unable to find out, if it is possible to fit rev counter on your bike.”
So my question is-is it possible to install it, or should I forget about it?
thank you
2022 Scrambler with factory install:
Speedometer Odometer Motor vehicle Tachometer Vehicle

· Premium Member
255 Posts
I know you can add the BMW rev counter kit to any R9T, you just have to make sure you get the right year. My 2017 Scrambler is different than the new Euro 5 bikes ('21 & '22). But I read somewhere there was a problem adding it to the Urban GS because of the headlight cowling. I've been searching for that and can't find it now. It's easy to install the bracket and gauges and wires, but you need to find someone who is sure it will fit behind the stock cowl. It's a different shape than the aftermarket ones, like Rizoma. I have the Rizoma and it fits no problem.

· Registered
22 Cosmic Scrambler (K23)
163 Posts
I know you can add the BMW rev counter kit to any R9T, you just have to make sure you get the right year. My 2017 Scrambler is different than the new Euro 5 bikes ('21 & '22). But I read somewhere there was a problem adding it to the Urban GS because of the headlight cowling. I've been searching for that and can't find it now. It's easy to install the bracket and gauges and wires, but you need to find someone who is sure it will fit behind the stock cowl. It's a different shape than the aftermarket ones, like Rizoma. I have the Rizoma and it fits no problem.
Super good catch! I actually have a theory about that after another member posted instructions specifying triple clamp spacers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts