BMW NineT Forum banner

Riding in the hot seat?

7K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  blbace 
#1 ·
I have test-ridden the R9T twice now and the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on this fantastic bike is heat that I'm feeling from the seat. It gets toasty after 30 minutes or so and the top of the seat is warm/hot to the touch when I dismount the bike.

I cant see what could possibly be heating the seat from underneath...am I feeling hot air from the cylinder heads getting trapped between me and the seat? Is it the catalytic converter?

Do any of you have this experience? Any ways to make it cooler? I'm supposed to be picking up a new Urban G/S tomorrow and desperate to make this awesome bike work.

#36 ·
I have test-ridden the R9T twice now and the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on this fantastic bike is heat that I'm feeling from the seat. It gets toasty after 30 minutes or so and the top of the seat is warm/hot to the touch when I dismount the bike.

I cant see what could possibly be heating the seat from underneath...am I feeling hot air from the cylinder heads getting trapped between me and the seat? Is it the catalytic converter?

Do any of you have this experience? Any ways to make it cooler? I'm supposed to be picking up a new Urban G/S tomorrow and desperate to make this awesome bike work.
I also live in AZ, I rode my gs 4000 miles now on and off road . I wear klim pants and even in 100 plus degrees this bike did not get hotter than any other bike I had but the opposite. I remember driving with my 400 xr to Tucson in August and had to stop every 30 miles to let the bike cool because the seat would get too hot. I enjoy my gs a lot and the right pants should do the trick.(no shorts)

#40 ·
There is someone over at the mostly useless german NineT forum who had the problem of the hot seat after a service. He investigated and wrote cryptically that the issue was gone after he changed the position of a film / flap which had been dislocated under tank and seat. I suppose he was refering to the cover over the electrical terminals ?!
Anyway I was just on an 800 km trip through germany, from north to south, just using small roads, in for us sweltering ambient temperatures at 36°C.
Took some IR images at a stop, in the shade. The lightest colours are at 72°C the darkest at 27°C.
The seat is from Wunderlich, the adjusting knob from the old GS shock and the exhaust stock.
Bikes oil temperature at 134°C.
Purple Orange Graphic design Line Graphics
Purple Violet Orange Line Graphic design

I can't see a temperature problem there, for my TUrban at least....
regards from Germnay
Bernhard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.