BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
My bike normally runs around 250F. That oil cooler seems to be possible. The CAT does get really hot. Maybe a combination of things. All good thoughts.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My bike normally runs around 250F. That oil cooler seems to be possible. The CAT does get really hot. Maybe a combination of things. All good thoughts.
I've got a full Titanium Akra on mine so no cat to produce any heat. If I had to bet it would be on the oil cooler, it's job after all is to shed heat.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Like Blbace suggested, maybe put a layer of insulation under the seat.

I know the 1190 KTM's had a problem with heat from the rear cylinder.
Someone came out with plastic covers with vents, for the sides.
A lot cooler as the heat was sucked out the vents.
No time to sit around and heat up the fuel tank and seat.

·
Registered
64 Posts
what can be done to reduce the heat from the oil cooler?
Realistically I doubt much can be done that would be effective and not look totally out of place.

As I posted earlier, I notice more heat from the tank than from the seat. I’ve ridden much hotter bikes and it’s not really anything I’m worried about. When you sit on top of an internal combustion engine with no fairings there will be radiant heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Realistically I doubt much can be done that would be effective and not look totally out of place.

As I posted earlier, I notice more heat from the tank than from the seat. I’ve ridden much hotter bikes and it’s not really anything I’m worried about. When you sit on top of an internal combustion engine with no fairings there will be radiant heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Especially an air cooled one.
Ken.

·
Registered
92 Posts
what about a snorkel similar to the air feed to the motor on the right, placed on the left and direct it into your seat area. Would look 'cool' with twin intake snorkels !
You could maybe cut up and invert a spare intake snorkel somehow.
it would avoid the heat from the engine and oil cooler and direct it to where you need it. Put a fan in it and it would work when in slow traffic. Put a flap in it and you can control how much if its cold weather.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was riding today during some very hot weather. At one point, I noticed that my, ahem, anterior bits felt rather warm. It got me thinking about this thread. When not moving, things seemed very warm, but the moment I started moving all was well. That was when I noticed that the seat seems to hold a fair bit of heat. The tank and frame did not seem warm, and the seat itself was not terribly hot, but my body parts on the seat seemed to grow warmer than I recall on most of my other bikes. I tested several areas with my hands and the bike itself did not evidence unusual heat radiation.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I haven't experienced anything like that and I typically tend to do long rides (4-5 hours).
I ride all year long, including well....summer in Abu Dhabi 🔥

·
Registered
911 Posts
I saw that! Did you find a solution? I’m definitely looking for something to make this bike cooler!
Try a couple of cold beers ... or better yet, ride hard for about an hour while standing on the pegs then test the seat for temperature and see how hot it is. I’ll bet you’re surprised to find just how cool it is when you don’t sit on it. The heat is from your butt not the boxer..... try it, you’ll see. The majority of the heat generated on our 9T’s is from the cylinder heads and especially the exhaust system (That’s why the pipes are blue) ..all of which is vented down the sides of the motorcycle and not tucked up under the tank like most other machines. I ride for three or four hours consecutively on a fairly regular basis with no uncomfortable heat issues... although most of it is 80mph and above ...and I grant you that’s much different than stop and go traffic. Temperatures here in Texas this time of year are always in the high 90’s or better .... this machine runs much cooler than previous bikes I’ve owned. There is an insulation material called Kaowool available on Amazon that is amazing. Put a laver of it into a small cushion under your butt and I’m certain you won’t Ever feel the heat again. I hope you keep cool, Butt always StayUpOn2 .. Blitz

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have test-ridden the R9T twice now and the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on this fantastic bike is heat that I'm feeling from the seat. It gets toasty after 30 minutes or so and the top of the seat is warm/hot to the touch when I dismount the bike.

I cant see what could possibly be heating the seat from underneath...am I feeling hot air from the cylinder heads getting trapped between me and the seat? Is it the catalytic converter?

Do any of you have this experience? Any ways to make it cooler? I'm supposed to be picking up a new Urban G/S tomorrow and desperate to make this awesome bike work.
Huh. My rides average 300 US miles at a time, usually around 6-7 hours. I haven't noted a heat issue on my classic, now at 18k miles. My Bandit? Yes, but the R nineT has been cool up to 98º days. But (pun) your bum might be different from mine.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Put crushed ice in a zip lock baggie down your shorts. You’re good for a couple hours anyway. ✌😎

·
Registered
36 Posts
Heat is a possible issue depending on sitting position/posture.
If you sit slightly back, with legs loose off the tank, heat doesn’t build up.
If you sit far forward and clamp the tank, you’re likely to get a lot more heat build up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have test-ridden the R9T twice now and the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on this fantastic bike is heat that I'm feeling from the seat. It gets toasty after 30 minutes or so and the top of the seat is warm/hot to the touch when I dismount the bike.

I cant see what could possibly be heating the seat from underneath...am I feeling hot air from the cylinder heads getting trapped between me and the seat? Is it the catalytic converter?

Do any of you have this experience? Any ways to make it cooler? I'm supposed to be picking up a new Urban G/S tomorrow and desperate to make this awesome bike work.
I also live in AZ, I rode my gs 4000 miles now on and off road . I wear klim pants and even in 100 plus degrees this bike did not get hotter than any other bike I had but the opposite. I remember driving with my 400 xr to Tucson in August and had to stop every 30 miles to let the bike cool because the seat would get too hot. I enjoy my gs a lot and the right pants should do the trick.(no shorts)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Go ride a first generation FJR1300 or an ST1300 for a while, then get back on your Urban. You won't mind it anymore. Little known fact... the FJR stood for "Family Jewels Roaster" and ST was for "Sticky Testicles". I guess their marketing departments thought the acronym would be better than the full name.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I wear klim pants and even in 100 plus degrees this bike did not get hotter than any other bike I had but the opposite. I enjoy my gs a lot and the right pants should do the trick.(no shorts)
Can you send me a link to or the model name of your Klim pants?

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I've never noticed heat issues, as others have said. But as mentioned above, the early FJRs were a serious problem.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts