BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having ridden my new Scrambler for two days, I thought you might be interested to read my first impressions.

Looks - I just love the look of the bike. The heavy front end with the boxer engine and aluminium tank. The narrow rear end and tan seat. The little details all over the bike just make it stand out. I have the aluminium tank that brings the whole look together. Every time I’ve parked it people come to look and admire. It definitely draws attention.

Handling – I have the Karoo 3 tyres so it feels very different to ride. I wish I’d gone for Metzeler Tourance. After a day I started to get the hang of the Karoo’s and how to use them on road. They do turn in quickly and it takes more effort to steer on general cornering which can be disconcerting but I quickly adjusted to that. On twisties - anything over 30mph is OK and you can lean as if you had road tyres. The bike feels well planted and stable on the road even with the Karoo’s. I do notice the extra rake out front but it doesn’t seem to affect handling. The bike feels heavy at slow speeds when pulling away from junctions or turning very slowly. I haven’t got the hang of the slow speed stuff yet and it makes me cautious. Maybe it’s the tyres or the rake but I’m not confident when pulling away and turning at the same time. I’ve never ever had that with a bike before. It’s not the gearing, that’s spot on and maybe the best I’ve had on any bike for around town riding.

Dials – I’m really happy with simplicity of the dial. I don’t miss the gear indicator; you can work out roughly where you are from the sound of the engine and whirr of the gearbox. When I lose position the torque takes care of that. Occasionally I’m reaching for 7th gear but that’s not really a problem. Not missing the rev counter either because you start to tune in to the sound of the engine for revs. I am missing ambient air temperature though. The fuel warning light comes on when low on fuel and starts to count down on trip so that’s fine for a fuel gauge.

Riding position – you sit up high and upright and the pegs are forward. I find it reasonably comfortable but not as good as my F800R. The bars are wide, maybe an inch too wide. The pegs are a little bit too forward as well which means they are in the way when you try to put your feet of the floor. There is no fairing or wind shield but its clean air and not a problem until you get past 70mph.

Seat – I ordered the high seat so there is extra padding but it starts to feel uncomfortable after an hour or so. I think its because the seat is narrow so the weight isn’t distributed evenly across your buttocks and thighs as with a regular bike. I need to have a 10 minute stretch off the bike on longer rides.

So, it’s a great looking bike, no doubt about that. The engine has ‘good vibrations’! great ‘old school’ character and it makes a lovely sound. But it’s not the easiest to ride or the most comfortable. Im still glad I got it though.

I'll keep you posted because its early days and I may change those tyres. Will post pics as well.

·
Administrator
12,706 Posts
Nice mini review, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
I got the R9T GS and with TKC80s and I find the handling excellent (Considering the type of tire). They also look great and they have plenty of grip on the street. Maybe you should give them a try. Every single reviewer has pointed out that the Karoo's and the Scrambler don't play well together.

Be prepared to suffer though when you changed the tire. When mine went on they got some surface marks on the outside edge of the machine. They are not scratches but paint rubbed off. Apparently it is unavoidable with these wheels, especially considering you may change tires every 2K miles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would also recommend different tyres. I put on Anakee3's and the bike feels a lot more stable, precise and better handling in all situations.

The rest of I agree with. For me this is the best possible "second bike" for shorter rides and weekend trips. It's no tourer, but it doesn't need to be. I love ripping it around town, but spending more than a couple hours on it at a time quickly reminds me that it is no GSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Picked mine up today. Have got the Metzeler Tourances . Put 108 miles on and feels great. I didn't test a scrambler, it's not quite a nimble as the Pure I rode and you do need to manhandle a bit more at low speed but I think that I am just adjusting to the position and bars. I was a little worried about handling from reviews but after 3 hrs in the saddle today, no worries. Didn't have any issues with the seat but then I'm used to bicycle seats!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I am finding the lever too low - very odd position. Or maybe it's the Scrambler foot peg placement that's causing the problem?....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having ridden my new Scrambler for two days, I thought you might be interested to read my first impressions.

Looks - I just love the look of the bike. The heavy front end with the boxer engine and aluminium tank. The narrow rear end and tan seat. The little details all over the bike just make it stand out. I have the aluminium tank that brings the whole look together. Every time I’ve parked it people come to look and admire. It definitely draws attention.

Handling – I have the Karoo 3 tyres so it feels very different to ride. I wish I’d gone for Metzeler Tourance. After a day I started to get the hang of the Karoo’s and how to use them on road. They do turn in quickly and it takes more effort to steer on general cornering which can be disconcerting but I quickly adjusted to that. On twisties - anything over 30mph is OK and you can lean as if you had road tyres. The bike feels well planted and stable on the road even with the Karoo’s. I do notice the extra rake out front but it doesn’t seem to affect handling. The bike feels heavy at slow speeds when pulling away from junctions or turning very slowly. I haven’t got the hang of the slow speed stuff yet and it makes me cautious. Maybe it’s the tyres or the rake but I’m not confident when pulling away and turning at the same time. I’ve never ever had that with a bike before. It’s not the gearing, that’s spot on and maybe the best I’ve had on any bike for around town riding.

Dials – I’m really happy with simplicity of the dial. I don’t miss the gear indicator; you can work out roughly where you are from the sound of the engine and whirr of the gearbox. When I lose position the torque takes care of that. Occasionally I’m reaching for 7th gear but that’s not really a problem. Not missing the rev counter either because you start to tune in to the sound of the engine for revs. I am missing ambient air temperature though. The fuel warning light comes on when low on fuel and starts to count down on trip so that’s fine for a fuel gauge.

Riding position – you sit up high and upright and the pegs are forward. I find it reasonably comfortable but not as good as my F800R. The bars are wide, maybe an inch too wide. The pegs are a little bit too forward as well which means they are in the way when you try to put your feet of the floor. There is no fairing or wind shield but its clean air and not a problem until you get past 70mph.

Seat – I ordered the high seat so there is extra padding but it starts to feel uncomfortable after an hour or so. I think its because the seat is narrow so the weight isn’t distributed evenly across your buttocks and thighs as with a regular bike. I need to have a 10 minute stretch off the bike on longer rides.

So, it’s a great looking bike, no doubt about that. The engine has ‘good vibrations’! great ‘old school’ character and it makes a lovely sound. But it’s not the easiest to ride or the most comfortable. Im still glad I got it though.

I'll keep you posted because its early days and I may change those tyres. Will post pics as well.
Very, complete and also very nice review, congrats.
I also have the new scrambler with a bold yellow 23 , which I really never understood if it has any meaning ( if any one know please tell) , but with the same metzeler Karoo 3 and might say.... that they are different, but I’m loving even the sound they make 😄.
Yes you have to adapt yourself to the tyres , and take your time to feel confident , but of course,that there is expected few limitations...
about the seat and comfort... well, I was used to a GS ADV, and it’s a great, or to be honest a Huge and Understandable difference ... , but that’s the trade off, to feel the unique and authentic old school with class 🤩🤩🤩
I’m really having lots of fun While driving this good looking old school bike , and if I have to make pit stops more often, it’s always an opportunity to make one more call or to meet more people in between ✌
Thanks a lot and have always fun 💪
There is a song of waterboys - The Pan Within, that in a certain way ( for me ) expresses that feeling “ ... the wind is delicious sweet and wild with the promise of pleasure.... and all you gotta do is surrender ...” 🏍

·
Registered
HD Rocker FXCWC; Scrambler, to be bought
104 Posts
Tje Scrambler‘s model indentifier from BMW is K23, maybe it is related to that?

Robert

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
2,196 Posts
Tje Scrambler‘s model indentifier from BMW is K23, maybe it is related to that?

Robert
There is a thread in the forum which discussed the option 719 paint scheme on the R nine T Roadster that displayed the number "21", and there was various theories about historical numbers for racers that raced for BMW, etc. One theory was that the model number "K21" was the reason.

I believe this is the case because the Scrambler model is "K23", so this looks like it is holding true.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts