BMW NineT Forum banner

RP tuning Slip On

22K views 69 replies 23 participants last post by  Sigmund 
#1 ·
Well I decided this was the best option for the look I wanted in my Racer. Didn’t know much about RP tuning, not many reviews. But I must say it’s a solid piece. Well made, and sounds great. It has sound deadening material on the inside. And I kept my flapper installed to help with the noise level. Very responsive company and shipped quickly and well packaged. If you have a question about it I’m happy to answer.

See less See more
#18 ·
Got my RPTuning muffler yesterday. Looks like a quality piece. Took less than 2 min to fit. Had a very short ride and am worried it's a little too loud for my taste. Would need to wear plugs I think. That's with the dB killer in. Significantly louder than stock. No droning or noise at steady state but under acceleration it's pretty loud. Not sure if obnoxiously so. I wouldn't be running it with dB killer out that's for sure.

Need to ride it a bit more. May end up selling it.

Cheers, Dom

#19 ·
Got my RPTuning muffler yesterday. Looks like a quality piece. Took less than 2 min to fit. Had a very short ride and am worried it's a little too loud for my taste. Would need to wear plugs I think. That's with the dB killer in. Significantly louder than stock. No droning or noise at steady state but under acceleration it's pretty loud. Not sure if obnoxiously so. I wouldn't be running it with dB killer out that's for sure.

View attachment 136125

View attachment 136126

Need to ride it a bit more. May end up selling it.

Cheers, Dom
Hey, sucks you find it too loud. I wear plugs all the time. I honestly didn’t find it that bad.
Coming from HD’s and Buell. I very much enjoy mine. I thought with the dB killer in it would be even more quiet than mine. But I still have the factory exhaust and Cat in place. Do you?

#21 ·
Well I rode it again with the dB killer in and had my brother listed from the roadside. He said it didn't sound loud enough for him lol. He also didn't like the slightly tinny/metallic sound with the dB killer. He much preferred the sound of the muffler without dB killer but it's too loud for me. So i turned up an aluminium (7075) addition to the dB killer. 50mm long. This adds some mass to the dB killer and eliminates the raspy/tinny sound and also reduced the overall sound level. Sounds cleaner. I like it a lot now. Not sure if the added back pressure will affect Hp or Torque at all but I didn't notice yet. Will try back to back when i get the chance.

#27 ·
Yea, the RP tuning is definitely the safer bet where sound is an issue, as it is for me.
At 3x the cost of the Pro Race tho, I'm not sure I want to take the risk its still too loud.

#30 ·
Hey mate, that was a good question, but it's always best to search the forum to see if there is already a discussion on the topic before replying to a thread that will risk steering it off-topic. I've moved your post to an existing RP thread, why not have a read through it. Hopefully you might get replies here too. :)

#32 ·
Hello,
I have had this exhaust on my R9T for three months now. I'm very happy with it and it gives my bike a great look. The rear wheel is completely clear and that's what I wanted.
In terms of sound, it really has a dual personality: at moderate engine speed, it has a muffled and enveloping sound. As soon as you rev up the engine, it is unleashed and the sound goes up in the treble. The volume of the sound also rises a lot. I think it can be awkward for someone who does a lot of driving.
I live in France, and I'm not sure the Police appreciate the volume of this exhaust. I must admit that when I see police officers from a distance, I reduce my speed, so as to almost idle at their height.
I kept my original pot in case I had to put it back. By the way, it takes about 5 minutes to set it up and I kept the exhaust valve in place.
Have a good trip everyone.

Envoyé de mon hatch en utilisant Tapatalk

#34 ·
Hi,
I believe there is no other way but to order directly from the site. In any case, I looked well and I did not find any. The people on the site are very responsive and I had no problem ordering, tracking my package and receiving it.
Good road.
Thierry

Envoyé de mon hatch en utilisant Tapatalk

#45 ·
Couple updates for mine; it fell off a while back and I had a shop put it back on for me since I was at work. Noticed it was getting loose over time with it heating up and cooling down so I took it off and liberally applied exhaust sealant and since it has seem pretty good. I think the stock clamps are a touch to big to provide enough clamping force on the flapper delete pipe.

Second issue is the DB killer came loose and fell out, luckily I found all of it in my driveway. It's tight now but I'll add Loctite later for piece of mind.

As to sound after having it for a couple of months I'd have to agree it's loud. I wore earplugs before but I'd say they are required now. For me I wanted to reduce the weight and expose the rear tire so sound was a secondary concern. The Boxer engine to me doesn't have a great sound to begin with so I'm fine with how the RP unit is. I much prefer a 270 degree, CP crank, parallel twin or just a standard inline-4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.