BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched a video that explains that, when designing the new F1000XR, in order to minimize vibrations, the guys at BMW added some rubber bushings at the handlebar clamp.

My question. Is It possible to do something similar to the NineT? Has anyone already done It?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
1,125 Posts
I watched a video that explains that, when designing the new F1000XR, in order to minimize vibrations, the guys at BMW added some rubber bushings at the handlebar clamp.

My question. Is It possible to do something similar to the NineT? Has anyone already done It?
Definitely this is possible to do. There are only two obstacles, time and money.

I personally have not seen this attempted...........yet.

If you're suggesting putting a bushing where the bar meets the clamps, the clamps will have to be machined larger to accept the bushing. I haven't looked, but I'm not sure there is enough room considering where the bolts are in relation to the bore for the handlebars. You made need to make an adapter in this case, but it's all do-able.

·
Registered
2018 RnineT Racer
32 Posts
Weight in the bars always worked for me. Some old school guys even put lead shot in bars.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Ciao Luigi,
look up flexx bars. It’s a dampened bar often used for off-road.
alternativelly I have used slip on grip covers.
Both will help a lot taking away vibes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, haven´t think in this option but it´s a very good idea @Broll, last time I checked the weights on the Pure are kind of light.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ciao Luigi,
look up flexx bars. It’s a dampened bar often used for off-road.
alternativelly I have used slip on grip covers.
Both will help a lot taking away vibes.
Wow, saw some real cool products on fasttco site. Gonna take a close look at he Flexx handlebar.

I put a pair of Puppy grips on my bike and they are fine but the video of the 1000XR made my mind start working.

·
Administrator
11,369 Posts
A slightly left-field possible solution to the problem, and not for everyone - there are bar risers that have rubber bushings installed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would spend a little more time determining the cause of your vibration instead of trying to use aftermarket parts to eliminate it. Generally speaking the r nine t has very little handlebar vibration. If yours are vibrating enough to be uncomfortable you might want to loosen the handlebar clamps and tighten them in proper order and make sure they are torqued properly. Also make sure your bar end caps aren't loose and the mirrors and controls are securely mounted.

The next step would be anti vibration inserts. Adding weight should help lower any vibrations. Hand protectors, Throttlemeister bar ends, bar end mirrors, etc. should all help but determining why yours seems to be generating more vibrations than other bikes would be where I would start.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would spend a little more time determining the cause of your vibration instead of trying to use aftermarket parts to eliminate it. Generally speaking the r nine t has very little handlebar vibration. If yours are vibrating enough to be uncomfortable you might want to loosen the handlebar clamps and tighten them in proper order and make sure they are torqued properly. Also make sure your bar end caps aren't loose and the mirrors and controls are securely mounted.

The next step would be anti vibration inserts. Adding weight should help lower any vibrations. Hand protectors, Throttlemeister bar ends, bar end mirrors, etc. should all help but determining why yours seems to be generating more vibrations than other bikes would be where I would start.

Thanks for your advice. Certainly, the bike doesn´t vibrate too much, my goal is to lessen the feeling of numbness on my hands after a 2-3 hours ride. As I said earlier, I slaped a pair of Puppy Grips but I keep feeling that numbness.

Anyway, I'll be checking the heavier bar end weights option first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts