BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2016 model with 1,200 on the ODO last week and I'm still learning about this bike. I've never ridden another R-NineT so I'm not sure what's normal and what's not.

1. When accelerating under 2.5k RPM the engine runs pretty rough and uneven. Is this normal for the boxter engine?
2. There is a ticking noise from the cylinder heads while idling. Is this normal? (it's not the clutch noise that goes away when engaging the clutch).
3. If I blip and rev the throttle too fast, the engine slightly chokes. Is this normal? This is a 2016 model with a cable throttle

I appreciate the insight! If these are normal quirks about the R-NineT then we're good to go. Just want to make sure I don't need to address anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After reading through some of the threads on here, it sounds like installing a BoosterPlug will help with the low RPM roughness and the choking during throttle blips?

Does anyone have the same experience?

·
Registered
2022 Scrambler
38 Posts
Before going to a lot of bother I'd check a couple of cheap things...

Try some new plugs, check for a clogged air filter, try some injector cleaner, check the tightness of the HT leads and associated LT leads, syphon the petrol out and fill with fresh.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The blip/throttle thing from point 3 i also experience.
Even when my bike got it's service with sync; it still had it. Be sure to warm up the bike before trying to blip the throttle. On a cold bike it's not happy if u do it.

I fitted a boosterplug on mine which fixed allot of the low rpm stalling-ish.. (never actualy stalled it but it felt like it was going to..)

·
Administrator
13,407 Posts
A booster plug is a great thing (IMO) but I don't think it will solve your immediate issue. I think your throttle bodies need synced first and foremost, and it might be worth while to do a throttle position reset too. @Foxster has some good ideas. Once you get the bike running more smoothly then by all means buy a booster plug, though you'll find opinions on them are divided on this forum (I like them).

·
Registered
282 Posts
You may have gotten a bad batch of fuel, meaning the gas might have some water contamination. To eliminate the possibility of bad fuel, drain the tank and put in fresh fuel. Look at the old fuel to see if there is any sign of water residue. I agree with the others that your throttle bodies need to be synced.

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
355 Posts
I just got a 2016 model with 1,200 on the ODO last week and I'm still learning about this bike. I've never ridden another R-NineT so I'm not sure what's normal and what's not.

1. When accelerating under 2.5k RPM the engine runs pretty rough and uneven. Is this normal for the boxter engine?
2. There is a ticking noise from the cylinder heads while idling. Is this normal? (it's not the clutch noise that goes away when engaging the clutch).
3. If I blip and rev the throttle too fast, the engine slightly chokes. Is this normal? This is a 2016 model with a cable throttle

I appreciate the insight! If these are normal quirks about the R-NineT then we're good to go. Just want to make sure I don't need to address anything.
Whenever I purchase a bike, I take it to a reliable dealer and have them give it a full service that include updating software, changing engine oil, brake fluid and all other fluids. When it is cold it is soften a little bit rough and you need to keep up the refs a little bit when pulling off, but within 2km it is sorted. I do not think anything wrong with engine, needs TLC.

·
Registered
403 Posts
OK! A six (6) year old motorcycle with only 1,200 mils on the clock tells me the bike has sat quite a bit. That indicates to me the strong possibility of spark plugs are fouled, stale gas in the bottom of the tank, old fuel deposits stuck to the intake track and injectors and maybe its a little out of sync. Start with the easy and relatively inexpensive stuff first. Once you start adding stuff like chips, booster plugs and fuel management systems you could very well be masking the real problem until one day it turns into along push or a tow truck ride to a shop. Go with "Fosters" advise but I would go further and remove and clean out all old fuel residue from the gas tank and let it air out for a day or two.

·
Registered
2022 Scrambler
38 Posts
...remove and clean out all old fuel residue from the gas tank and let it air out for a day or two.
That would be ideal as gunge and even water settles to the bottom of the tank.

However its a lot of trouble to go to. Its a lot easier to syphon the tank first and see if that does the job. If that and the other things don't fix it, only then would I start taking things apart.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just as a personal experience from a few years back, I did the syphon gas and refill on my 2014 Standard a few times and it always got back to running poor at low speed and idle. It would back fire and fart as well as stall sometimes. I had owned it since new, 1,700 miles, 2018, dealer hooked it up synced and found all was well but it still ran like shiRt. At one point I installed a Booster plug, that worked for about 200 miles then back to the poor low speed running as well as an occasional fart at higher revs. I pulled the gas tank, removed every bit of old fuel residue and aired it out a day or two. I stuck four new spark plugs in it and the bike was transformed back into that brand new Are Nine Tee that I bought and parked a few years earlier. Its got a few more miles on it now and it still runs like new. I also pay the freight and use only none-ethanol gas in it and my 3 other 9 Tee models.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts