BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
2014 classic
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just thinking out loud here. As well documented the rear shock on my classic isnreally up to the job. Now the later s1000rr rear shock is also 370mm I believe and is multi adjustable. Any reason why this would not be a good shock upgrade or not work?

Registered
I'm really interested in the answer to this question too. I can't help but believe there is a wealth of parts that have been spec'd to different BMW motorcycles over time that would essentially be plug and play with components on our bikes, making for an affordable, quality upgrade or repair path. Anybody up for beginning to document what we know, or point us to a resource like this if it already exists? Here's what I'm thinking: BMW Donor Parts for R nineT

My first BMW was a car, and e30 325es. In my first Internet forum adventure, decades ago, I found an e30 M3 owner on an M3 forum who sent me his OE M3 suspension that bolted right into my car. It made an incredible difference in the ride, and I'd love to do something similar with my '14 R nineT.

Registered
What?? Compare yourself.

ninet

s 1000 RR
Those are handy links. It appears that the bolts spec鈥檇 for the s 1000RR also fit some of the r nineT models. You can see that when you click into the bolt part #. What would be really useful would be a drawing or photos with measurements If anyone has one of these in their spare parts bin 馃槈.

But, as I try to pretend I read German, I start to ask myself if this is telling us that the shock mounting bolt for the s 1000RR is the same bolt that鈥檚 used to mount hand guards on the R nineT?

Registered
You can chose engl upper right corner (flag)
Bolts
ninet 10x80 1x + 10x1,25x55 1x
s 1000 12x75 2x

btw-it's even impossible to install the actual E5 shock on a E4
Thanks Thomas, That make things easier 馃う鈥嶁檪锔. I'm trying to get my head around the different of "what was is spec'd with" vs "what other part #'s will fit". I just spent some time looking at the Wilbers site, and see that they definitely spec different part numbers for their 640 Road shock depending on which bike you're trying to fit. Looks like there would be no straight forward swap.

Administrator
What about the wire that seems to be coming from the shock? Is this an active shock?

Registered
2021 R nineT Option 719, Triumph Bobber
The other factor to consider is the dimensions of the shock bushings. On the 2021 models the bushing is narrower than on the earlier models. Since these widths are not (as far as I can see) shown in the parts microfiche you would need to actually measure one to confirm its the same width. Though if you can get one cheap enough I suppose it could be modified by an engineering shop. Though as Dave notes the illustrated one also appears to be an active shock so you wouldn't be able to adjust the damping anyway.

For me personally it would be more grief than its worth and I chose the Nitron shock option for my upgrade.

Registered
2014 classic
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have access to a lathe, so the bushings would be no problem. Not all the shocks have the electronic element either. I just see this as a cheap and easy solution as brand new ones are on ebay for 拢100. Can't really justify the cost of a new boutique shock at the moment.
Just wondering if anyone has tried it that's all, and it's in my nature to tinker 馃榿

Registered
Well, well, well - give it a try and keep us informed.
There are so many used S1000 RR shocks on the market, cheap - wonder why? Check their forum and you'll know.
Benefit for your 9T comparing the OEM ??? - imho not 馃槈
Good luck!

ed: and keep in mind, there's no homologation from BMW for that shock on the 9T. An accident means a lot of trouble...

Registered
2020 R9t Pure
Any new developments on this? I just sold my 2011 RR and kept the rear shock as it had an after market performance shock installed. Eyeballing the two it looks like it would fit. I haven鈥檛 tried it yet with the fittings but might over my xmas break. I鈥檒l let yall know if it fits my 2020 Pure.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts