BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
2018 r nine t pure
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to how many of you have done a Saddlesore 1000, and whether or not any of you have done it on an RnineT. I'm planning a trip from SF to SD in a couple of weeks to visit some friends and family, and though I'm probably not gonna try this time, I'm tempted to go for the 1000-in-1 and go down and back in 24 hours (@TimC your Saddlesore post has me inspired 馃槅馃槄).

I know the ergonomics of the NineT are far from ideal for such a long day. I've done 500 mile days, but it's hard to imagine doing double that. How far have you gone in one day on a NineT?

Registered
When I know I'll be riding 350+ miles per day. The first thing I pull out is my AirHawk seat cushion and install it on my bike. The secret to making the AirHawk comfortable is adding minimal air pressure, most guys over inflate the cushion and it becomes uncomfortable and slippery. I've tried custom saddles and the sheep skins, save your money and just buy a AirHawk.

Registered
It is Depending on what kind of roads I rode.

If Only Highway in summer with lots of sun light hours (I don麓t like ride during night) about 600miles (1000km). This is distance I ride when I want to go Alps from my home. But it is compelled because of the money/time available. I would rather prefer to ride half (400/300miles) and mix with panoramic road. Also I think when you ride long distance you get tire, sore and pain...It is bad thing. You lose concentration and ride is more dangerous. But first day to go Alps has to be in this way to achive destination. Avignon is the "Gate" to Alps. Second day of journey is when enjoy/fun actually began.

Come back home is different beacuse I take Ferry-Boat that save me lots of boring Highway miles. Also I can take a rest because I sleep all night during ferry navigation.

If I mix Highway with panoramic/twisty/tourist road 350/450 miles.

If only panoramic/tourist/twisty road 200 miles. They are my favorites. If I had enough time/money I ride/travel always this way. For example "9" of Andermatt+simplonpass was a good day trip. Also I avoid August or Saturday/Sunday...I prefer travel during Jun 15-Jul 15...and ride tourist/panoramic road on weekday. Less people. All road only for you.

In winter due to less sun light hours available I ride less. Ride at night It麓s not my cup of tea.

During riding day only stop to have fast-lunch, take pictures, fill gas, piss... My intention is to arrive hotel/motel/hostel early, on time to park bike, get off luggage, have a shower, change clothes...and have relaxing dinner with cold beer...Depending wich country you are riding you have to arrive earlier than others. Bars/Pub in Spain are open until late but in France/Switzerland close earlier. Some time I arrive late destination because some times there are incidentals/unforeseen during day: Bad weather, traffic jams due to work in progress on road, etc etc. So always I include/incorporate food in my luggage (Bread, Tuna tin, Cheese, sausage, nuts etc etc)

Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
Thanks for the shout out, @Benkos ! :)

I just did my longest day yet on my R9T -- 446 miles. It was a mix of 2-lanes, small cities, and some interstate. I was out about a total of 13 hours, but a couple hours were spent off the bike at my destination for the day. For me, at least 500 miles is doable, but any more than that will require a seat cushion, probably an Airhawk like @David37 mentioned.

I'm hoping to attempt a Saddlesore 1000 on my R9T Pure early this fall. My knees are my only real worry, as they get sore after a few hundred miles, especially the right knee. But I think it can be done.

Edited: A few days after this post I did a 500-mile day on my R9T Pure. Definitely doable, but you have to have some tolerance for discomfort and, in my case, some knee pain.

Registered
I can鈥檛 imagine that on the stock seat 馃槱
I鈥檝e done about 330 mi on mostly 2-lane on my Scrambler but I was feeling it! I think I could do 500 mi with a better seat and taking an adequate amount of breaks along the way鈥ut that鈥檇 probably be my personal limit on the 9T.

Registered
2015 Classic
I strongly relate to Lelc2鈥檚 response (interesting user name 馃) - for me the best days in the saddle are measured by number of corners rather than number of miles. 1000 miles is impressive on one level, and certainly a feat of endurance, but beyond 鈥榥eeds must鈥 I鈥檓 not sure why you鈥檇 want to?
Anyhow, I鈥檓 honestly not sure the furthest I鈥檝e been on the nine T but during a trip to Cornwall last year (800 odd miles total) I quickly concluded that the stock seat is the worst I鈥檝e experienced in over 30 years of riding! I ordered a Sargaent replacement whilst still on tour and can thoroughly recommend. 1000m would still be torture though!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts