BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Hello. I’ve never been a fan of Sargent seats and have always been fine wiith the stock seat of all my bikes except this one (‘15 Classic). At this point I need to try something and so I just ordered the Sargent pleaded seat and hopefully I will like it!
I have the exact same seat. Whilst (IMO) not perfect, it is easily the best bum perch I've sat on for my bike. I've sat on the stock one and boy that wasn't comfy for more than an hour, equipping the seat with a gel pad got me to 90 minutes before my ass called it quits With the Sargent I can ride for over 2 hours before slight discomfort kicks in and almost 3 before I need to stop for a break.

Reactions: Pepe1111

·
Registered
85 Posts
Which moto-skiveez do you have? Which ones are bettter for the R9t?
Thanks.
The adventure padding as I tend to sit upright. It works well (for me) with the slightly wider Sargent seat. The combo has literally saved my ass on 500-600 miles days. I still stop and stretch every hundred miles, but enjoy the long days much better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello. I’ve never been a fan of Sargent seats and have always been fine wiith the stock seat of all my bikes except this one (‘15 Classic). At this point I need to try something and so I just ordered the Sargent pleaded seat and hopefully I will like it!
I got my Sargent seat and went on like 100 mile ride for my first impressions. I thought it was quite comfortable! I just need to get used to the shape which feels a bit different than the stock and will do a longer ride but so far I’m happy! I like the looks of the pleaded seat.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just finished my third 2000+ mile road trip on my 2017 Pure over the past 18 months, the most recent excursion being the northern Rockies (US and Canada). With a few mods it makes a creditable touring bike. I’ve done the usual...Sargent seat, Daytona fairing and sport shield, H-B tail rack, Unit Garage bags with an small Filson duffle, tach...and have not been disappointed. Yes, there have been times I wished for more weather protection and electronic cruise control, but the R nine T retro/heritage style is appealing and generates a lot of favorable comments on the road.

It’s a sweet ride whether chasing horizons or just the next coffee shop.
Hello member 56370?. I’ve done three close to 2000 mile trips in the last few months and have been considering a Sargent seat upgrade myself. My question is the width of the seat. I’m looking for a wider width for better comfort and wonder if the Sargent is similar to oem or wider to make a difference. I’ve had a Sargent seat on a previous f700 but wanted to first check with a real world rider for advice. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've probably put over 1500 kms on my Sargent seat so far. I've stopped thinking about it so it must be pretty good! A couple hours is no problem now, but the real test will be a 2000km round trip in October for the MotoGP.
Well it did get uncomfortable after a few hours non-stop. I wouldn't call this a comfortable saddle, just a bit more comfortable than the stock seat.
Worth it if you won't want to go custom.

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Hello member 56370?. I’ve done three close to 2000 mile trips in the last few months and have been considering a Sargent seat upgrade myself. My question is the width of the seat. I’m looking for a wider width for better comfort and wonder if the Sargent is similar to oem or wider to make a difference. I’ve had a Sargent seat on a previous f700 but wanted to first check with a real world rider for advice. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Speaking for myself (Sargent seat owner) the seat is significantly more comfortable than the stock seat and is wider and slightly dished around the tail bone area. I wouldn't personally say it is now "all-day" comfortable but certainly it is an improvement over stock by a fair margin.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I guess you won't know for sure until you try it!

Speaking for myself (Sargent seat owner) the seat is significantly more comfortable than the stock seat and is wider and slightly dished around the tail bone area. I wouldn't personally say it is now "all-day" comfortable but certainly it is an improvement over stock by a fair margin.
I was really hoping for this level of improvement from the Sargent seat but…

Well it did get uncomfortable after a few hours non-stop. I wouldn't call this a comfortable saddle, just a bit more comfortable than the stock seat.
Worth it if you won't want to go custom.
…this was more like my experience.

I really didn't notice a massive improvement over stock and find the extra width at the front annoying.
I'm now considering going back to the original with a custom cover and gel inserts. o_O

·
Registered
2017 R Nine T Scrambler
482 Posts
I really didn't notice a massive improvement over stock and find the extra width at the front annoying.
I'm now considering going back to the original with a custom cover and gel inserts. o_O

LoRez, I noticed the same thing when I first got the Sargent seat, but now after 18,000 miles, the seat is all broken in and I don't notice the extra width at the front. At first it really bothered me but now, it's the most comfortable seat I've ever had on a bike.

·
Registered
445 Posts
LoRez, I noticed the same thing when I first got the Sargent seat, but now after 18,000 miles, the seat is all broken in and I don't notice the extra width at the front. At first it really bothered me but now, it's the most comfortable seat I've ever had on a bike.
18 000 miles!! Now that's a test!
Good to know. Maybe I need to get some more time on mine before I switch. (y)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Some time ago, at the US national rally in New York I bought a Sargent for a F700 GS. The salesman thought so much of his product he told me to ride my 700 miles home from the rally and if I didn't like it, send it back for full refund. At the 200 mile mark where my I would have started squirming I still had a smile on my face. At 400 miles into the ride I was laughing, and at 700 miles straight I could have kept on going for an bun burner1000 miler. Needless to say I was happy, after trying many other solutions. The Sargent seat for my Niner Turbans in the budget for sure......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fitted a sargent single seat a couple of days ago after having my arse pummelled into submission on too many occasions with the standard seat, I ordered it with the rear seat cover and strap but I'm not going to fit them at the moment as, for me, the sargent is a great match and doesn't look out of place at all or like an aftermarket piece. So after two 3hr rides for me the seat is nearly as comfortable as the seat on my fjr1300 and I could ride all day on that. Really impressed by it, it's exceeded my expectations. After a couple of hours it feels like it's about to get uncomfortable, numb bum time, but it never arrives and I can keep going, so for me a worthy investment and it turned up 2 days after ordering, so win win...

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,290 Posts
Just bought my Pure last weekend, and the 360-mile ride home was a great way to learn the new bike. It was also a great way to find out I need a better seat for long rides. :(

I've had a Sargent on my Honda VFR for many years and loved it. So naturally I've been thinking about a Sargent for my new Beemer, too. (Actually, I started thinking about it before I even test rode my bike, as most reviews I read said the seat wasn't all-day comfortable, and I do many all-day rides.) I've read through this thread and it only cemented in my mind a Sargent is the way to go, so thanks to the members who posted their thoughts and photos above.

My only question is whether there is a cushioning difference between the standard seat and the pleated model. Is the padding exactly the same, and the pleating is just for looks? Even if it's for looks only, the pleating might be worth it, as I think it looks great - though I'd worry about the looks mismatch between the rider and pillion seats, as I'm leaving the rear seat as-is. (It will never be used.) Does anyone know if there's a difference between the regular and pleated seats?

Also, just an FYI, in case anyone else is in the market for a Sargent, I've been seeing ads for a Labor Day sale on Sargent's website. When I plugged in the promo code a few minutes ago the discount was 12%. I was hoping for more but it's still better than paying full price.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts