BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,290 Posts
Swapped on the Sargent, but didn’t ride for a few days. Rode 60 miles yesterday. Completely forgot about it despite the extra width. Finally remembered when my ass didn’t hurt afterwards like it normally did! Looking forward to long rides now.
Glad to hear it's a big improvement for you. I'm still waiting on mine to arrive, hopefully in the next few days. Would love to get it tomorrow and install it for this weekend's rides, though they won't be long distance treks.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,290 Posts
My new Sargent rider seat was delivered a couple days ago. I waited until today to install it since I was on my Honda all day yesterday.

The packaging was perfect and included a Sargent ballcap, too, which is a nice PR move by the company. The new seat's fit and finish is excellent, as expected. It's cool that Sargent thinks to put the BMW colors on seats for BMWs on their company's name tag. Instructions were clear, and the package included the small Torx wrench you need to swap the seat bracket from the OEM seat to the new one. I had an issue at first installing the new seat, but then checked the owner's manual and saw there are two sets of tabs you have to fit the seat under for it to latch into place. Once I positioned it correctly, the seat went on and clicked into place easily.

I was curious as to what the covering would look like. I've included a photo below which clearly shows the difference between the seat coverings. I didn't choose a special seat cover style, so this is Sargent's standard for this model. I'm fine with the difference, but be forewarned, if you're more concerned than I am about the appearance of your motorcycle (and your R9T has separate seats) you'll want to purchase the pillion seat covering, too, as the difference is quite obvious. You can also see the stitching doesn't really match, but that difference isn't as noticeable as the covering.

I did short "before and after" rides to see how much of a difference I could tell between the OEM and Sargent seats. Comfort-wise, just sitting on the bike or riding on a smooth road, the difference isn't huge. The OEM saddle isn't uncomfortable for shorter rides, but you can tell the padding is kind of thin and more pliant. The Sargent's padding isn't bulkier, meaning you're not really sitting any higher, but the padding feels more dense. There is still adequate cushion, but you can tell it's a little firmer. The "after" ride showed the biggest difference to me, at least for a short ride, and that is shock absorption. Little bumps in the pavement that I would have felt in my back were still there, but without the shock traveling up jolting up my spine. The new seat just mitigates those shocks much better. I'm confident the Sargent will be much better for longer rides than the OEM, and I hope to find that out soon!

The other noticeable difference is the covering is a little grippier than the OEM seat's covering. This isn't a pro or con, just something prospective buyers should know, especially if you move your rear end around or off the seat when sportriding. It will probably wear in over time and miles anyway, or maybe you can specify a different, more slippery cover material when you order a seat.

One other thing. When I bought my new R9T Pure a month ago, under hard acceleration it felt like I was being pushed backward and the seat was not going to stop a rearward slide. But that sensation has lessened as I put some miles on the bike, so I guess the OEM seat has broken in. The new Sargent seat has a little of that sensation, but not as much as the OEM seat did when the bike was new. I'm hoping the Sargent breaks in a little, too, as I don't like that feeling at all.

Overall I'm very happy I got this new seat, and that I bought it during a sale and saved 12% (plus got free shipping). I didn't have that many miles on the VFR when I bought that bike's Sargent during an owner's forum group buy. I bought the seat because I thought I'd probably get one eventually, and made the purchase at a discount while I could. The OEM seat might have been fine, but this was an upgrade. (It also looked great, with the faux carbon seat cover material and red welt.) I've loved that seat, which has held up very well over 13 years and 90,000 miles. This time, however, I knew I needed a different saddle, and was fortunate to time the purchase during a sale. I expect I'll be just as happy with this new Sargent as I was the last one.

New seat installed:

Seat coverings: OEM vs. Sargent

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Great report @TimC and along the lines of what I experienced with my new Sargent rider seat. You will find that the seat does break in and gets more comfortable. My personal opinion is that the Sargent seat is a lot better than the stock seat bur for me still gets uncomfortable after about 90 minutes in the saddle but it wasn't even half of that with the stock seat. Might just be my bony behind that's the problem! LOL

Reactions: TimC

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I had the Sargent seat, it was really comfortable. Much better than the stock Scrambler seat, but it was a bit taller and I needed a lower seat. A friend bought it and loves it. I sat on the /5 seat at the dealer and it felt great. I was tempted to get one but the height was still a problem. I ended up with the BMW custom rider seat. It's a lot lower than the Sargent and not as comfortable, but it's a decent compromise for me.

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Anyone could give me their input on a seat for R nine T looking at Sargent, wunderlich one piece seat or bmw /5
A quick search on "Sargent" turned up 425 posts. You might find some very good information doing a basic search.
@GapRunr is right, there's a lot of information on the forum, try the search function, mate.

To give you an initial assist I've moved your enquiry to a big Sargent seat thread. You will also find other info on the other seats you have mentioned in the forum too.

Enjoy! :)

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Thanks I'm 6"2 so hight would be better for me so which did you like better /5 or Sargent
They both felt great to me, but I didn't ride the /5 seat, only sat on it at the dealer. I put about 1,000 miles on the Sargent and it's one of the most comfortable moto seats I've owned. I think you can go either way, which do you like better- a full length single seat like the /5? (BMW also has a tall brown single seat option for the Scrambler, a friend your height has that and likes it, much more comfortable than the thin stock seat) Or a 2 piece seat with the Sargent mated to the BMW rear seat?
The Sargent has a broader seat base, more tractor like (?), so it changes the slim profile of the bike. But there's more comfort/support in that shape.

You don't want the hump, at your height it would cramp you, keep you pushed too far forward.

Reactions: TimC

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
5,565 Posts
101 - 120 of 136 Posts