BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,290 Posts
Update:
As written several months ago, I swapped out the OEM seat for a Sargent last fall. Yesterday was my longest ride (350 miles) on my R9T Pure since the day I rode it home from Michigan. I've been wondering how seat comfort would be with the Sargent on a long day, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't an issue. In the early days I had the new saddle, and for the first couple longish rides of 150-200 miles, I thought it might not work out. But things were good yesterday. It's not perfect, but it was better than expected, and of course far better than the OEM seat.

I should add I had a layer on under my jeans for warmth, so that might have helped a little. Also, I'll still probably add an AirHawk or something similar for 400-600 mile days, which I typically do a few times per year.

·
Registered
2014 R nineT
23 Posts
I recently purchased a new Sargent seat. I also sent in the stock pillion seat to Sargent fir them to put in their filling and replacement cover to match the rider seat. It is definitely more comfortable for me (5'9, athletic build, 165lbs). My wife said the passenger seat is more comfortable for her too.

I've been suffering from lower back/sacrum issues due to a deadlifting injury four months ago and a motorcycle accident from a two months ago. Riding on the stock seat or the Roland sands one piece Traction (last 2-3 weeks) aggregated it.

Since I got the Sargent seat, I've felt more relief and comfort and no issues in doing a 150 mile ride. It is not as padded as I thought it would be.

I'll update with a longer term review in a few months.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My sargant seat just arrived yesterday and I had the opportunity to test it today with a tentative 1 hours riding on some mountain roads today. Initial impressions:

1. Its not soft and squidgy. It's really quite firm and I thought it would be uncomfortable after a while but that moment didnt come. I do have the impression that this seat needs to be broken in a bit though.

2. It's noticeably wider under the butt and at the front. I dont mind this. For reference I'm 186cm and 94kgs

3. The butt seems better supported, your butt sits in a sort of bowl and seems more spread out over a wider surface. No more sitting with the butt bones digging into the side of the seat.

4. Because of the little bowl, you're nicely supported during the r ninet's acceleration. No more sliding off the back of the stock seat.

5. Because of the bowl support, you actually feel more balanced in corners, not feeling like you're sliding off the side of the bike. I realise that you might want that and if you do, you still can but for 90% of road riding, shifting your weight from one butt cheek to the other is sufficient. I'm not MM93.

6. I feel like, but have not measured, that I'm sitting maybe 10mm higher. Feel like my legs are less folded. Wasn't expecting that and it's nice.

7. There is a little groove cut away where your gutch (insert science name) would be. Takes the pressure off that area. It's niiice, my gutch is very sensitive :)

Some photos attached for those who would like them. I took a long time to buy this so maybe these will help someone. Old one is the one with the lines on it which is the luismoto cover. It was rubbish.

My next plan will be to ride for longer and see how it hold up on longer days and long periods of staticness, like motorways.

·
Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,962 Posts
On the scrambler does it fit with the BMW Luggage rack option? It looks like the single seat a bit?

Thanks
Robert
@Chopper_Bob
It is basically the single seat minus the Oem locking hardware. You will need that kit that attaches to the back of the single seat. About 50 bucks. By OEM rack do you mean the rack that replaces the pillion ?R65 (1985-88) | R65 (1985-1988) - BMW Motorcycle Parts
Single long seats have a “jumper” bar I believe you might need a seat brace #8 on single seat flèche.

·
Registered
2022 Scrambler, HD Rocker FXCWC;
991 Posts
@Chopper_Bob
It is basically the single seat minus the Oem locking hardware. You will need that kit that attaches to the back of the single seat. About 50 bucks. By OEM rack do you mean the rack that replaces the pillion ?R65 (1985-88) | R65 (1985-1988) - BMW Motorcycle Parts
Single long seats have a “jumper” bar I believe you might need a seat brace #8 on single seat flèche.
Thanks!!!

just the answer I was lookning for, and yes the rack that would replace the pillion seat. As I would likely to ride single it is easier to strap gear/bag to a frame:
Gesture Tool Office supplies Wire stripper Fashion accessory

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just placed an order for this sargent seat for my R9T standard model. They are quoting 2 weeks lead time. I don't go for super long rides. Usually 1-2 hours there, and 1-2 hours back... on the return trip i am constantly shifting and moving in pretty bad discomfort even with plenty of walking and stretching at arrival destination. I'll report back with my thoughts once I get the seat installed!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Update. The Sargent seat showed up a few days after I ordered. Quick turn-around. Initial impressions are similar to some previous comments. The seat doesn't feel overly soft at first impression... but you immediately feel there's more shape to it... as if you're sitting in a sculpted seat versus a generic cushion. The longest I have ridden so far is about 2-2.5 hours. So my final verdict is still TBD... however, as somebody mentioned previously, the seat feels like you might start getting sore... but it just never comes. I think the seat is just so subtly wider and more supportive that you don't notice a major different based on butt feel alone, but clearly as the minutes and hours pile on, it is much more comfortable and supportive. More to come but so far I like what I'm seeing from this Sargent seat!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had my Sargent seat for about 6K miles now and it's breaking in nicely. I've done a couple of 300 mi days on it without issue. If you buy one, it may seem hard at first and no better than stock. It definitely needs to break in for a few thousand miles until it really makes a difference (the same as I experienced on my R1200RT... I've had my seat on that for about 40K miles and I've done 600 mile days on that).

121 - 136 of 136 Posts