BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
11,766 Posts
If the same as the Classic 9T, the DB killers at the end of the silencer are easily removable (just a few screws) but the silencer internal baffles would at least need the rivets drilled out to be removed, perhaps they are even internally welded as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't opened the end of the Scrambler can. Was hoping someone had to date.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, ok then, I'll restate the question.

Has anybody removed the DB-killers from their Scrambler?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Stock Baffle Removal

Has anybody removed the baffles in the stock exhaust?

I have, See this thread: http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/49010-removing-baffles-thread-20.html

I drilled out the rivets on the cans and had a meticulous machine shop pull the end caps off w/o damaging the finish on the stock cans. You need a Dremel type saw to remove the metal screening a bit at a time. Some of it will remain. II replaced the rivets and now have completely hollow cans. Believe it or not, it's not super loud until you are at highway speeds with flapper wide open. I personally like the way the sound bounces in the stock cans prior to exiting.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks M&M - saved me from backing out the five screws and the resulting disappointment ... I guess playing cards in the spokes on this one for more noise ;-)

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's welded on the scrambler:

Would it be possible to just cut the last bit of with a an angle grinder. But by the why it looks like it should not do much difference.

·
Registered
887 Posts
It seems very complicated to get that db-killer out. I've been looking inside and can't find out where the db-killer is fixed on the exhaust.

Anyway, I love the sound the way it is.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think I am getting old... I like the sound as it is. First bike that I have done that with :)

Reactions: M&M

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's welded on the scrambler:

I just took the end caps off today and found this to be true..... I also like the stock sound, but I was hoping to get the killers out to get MORE of that sound!!!! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was looking this exhaust today and got an idea. Would it be possible to drill through welding and pull out the inner tube. I think I will try it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The stock sound of the cans is really nice actually. Not too loud and obnoxious, but throaty and characterful.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was looking this exhaust today and got an idea. Would it be possible to drill through welding and pull out the inner tube. I think I will try it.

I had thought about it but I'm not willing to be the guinea pig..... Let me know if you go through with it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts