BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Pure
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In researching how to make my 2017 Pure more capable when riding fire trails and the like, I was looking at part numbers comparing the Pure to the Scrambler. There is a version of the Scrambler with lowered suspension/seat height, and it's basically a Pure with a high pipe. Shocks, forks, wheels, everything is the same part numbers. The Scrambler low has the 17" Pure wheels front and back. This may be common knowledge to the rest of you, but I just had the Ah-Hah moment right now.

Best,
-Tim

·
Registered
135 Posts
:unsure: If It has 17" wheels I think it is a Pure, Probably with double Exahust pipe from Scrambler but in the end is Pure.

In data technic you can see more differences than height of seat, suspension length or wheels etc.

The most important diferent is chassis.

Scrambler :

Distancia entre ejes (distance between axis)
1527 mm
Avance (advance)
110.60 mm
Ángulo del conjunto del manillar (steering angle)
61.5°

Pure:

Distancia entre ejes
1.493 mm
Avance
105 mm
Ángulo del conjunto del manillar
63.4°

My English is not very good and I am not sure if translation is good. To make sure see Bmw Motorrad web data technics.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
391 Posts
Those tricky Germans. They do the same when they sell you a Lamborghini, which is basically a pimped up Audi R8. Or a Bugatti Veyron, which is indeed a Volkswagen. Or a Rolls Royce, which shares a lot of BMW parts.

But back to bikes: have you considered more suspension rather than less, and spoke wheels instead of those cast iron ones? A raised UGS maybe? Or, if you’re really serious, I can highly recommend the KTM 890R. That’s a whole other ballgame.

·
Registered
2017 Pure
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Norbi,

I'm trying to straddle the fence here. I want to keep as much of the handling characteristics of the Pure that I can, as most of my riding is on pavement. But there are a number of trips I hope to take in the next few years where the riding will be on pavement, dirt roads, and sometimes fire trail type situations. And I'm on a budget. The Pure is paid for, and I've got the tools and stands and GS-911 and manuals and everything where I can work on it myself, so I don't want to sell or trade it. Just want to make it more capable for the situations where I need to be offroad to reach a destination.

Best,
-Tim

·
Registered
157 Posts
When I bought my scrambler they had a lowered suspension scrambler next to it, other than the mag rims and lowered suspension it had a 19" front just like my cross spoked scrambler.

·
Registered
2017 Pure
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's interesting, what year is your Scrambler? According to the BMW parts fiche, the lowered 2017 Scrambler has a 17" front wheel (like the Pure) and the same part numbers for the front forks and the rear shocks.

Best,
-Tim

·
Registered
2018 r nine t pure
34 Posts
That's a tough fence to straddle, but the glaring issue is obviously the suspension. To your point, I agree that there ultimately isn't all that much separating the pure and scrambler.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey Norbi,

I'm trying to straddle the fence here. I want to keep as much of the handling characteristics of the Pure that I can, as most of my riding is on pavement. But there are a number of trips I hope to take in the next few years where the riding will be on pavement, dirt roads, and sometimes fire trail type situations. And I'm on a budget. The Pure is paid for, and I've got the tools and stands and GS-911 and manuals and everything where I can work on it myself, so I don't want to sell or trade it. Just want to make it more capable for the situations where I need to be offroad to reach a destination.

Best,
-Tim
I also usually ride dirty roads etc. I think for "easy trail" you only need to improve suspensions and put TKC70 tires or similar. Obviously we assume never were be able to ride faster than Tenere 700 but at least we can reach "Off-road" zones.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
969 Posts
When I first started considering buying an R9T last summer, I focused at first on the Scrambler because I loved the looks of the bike. As I learned more about the lineup, I switched to seeking a Pure due its tighter fork angle and shorter wheelbase, shorter seat height (I have short legs for my height), and because more Pures came with the cast/mag wheels than spoke wheels (I didn't want spokes). I just wanted the more agile bike, plus I knew I would never be riding off-road.

So besides the wheel size difference, you are likely looking at steering difference, too. But I don't think these differences are monumental. I would think -- and this may be the voice of inexperience talking -- for gravel and dirt roads, tires would make the biggest difference, followed by suspension, depending on how good or bad those roads are. I also wonder whether a lowered Scrambler also has reduced suspension travel. I'm not positive, but I think on the big GS bikes they do have shorter travel.

As for the standard Scrambler, I just checked the 2021 specs, and here are the differences between it and the Pure:
Wheelbase -- Scrambler 60.1" vs. Pure 58.8"
Steering head angle -- Scrambler 60.1 degrees vs. Pure 63.4 degrees
Suspension travel - front/rear -- Scrambler 4.9"/5.5" vs. Pure 4.7"/4.7"

·
Registered
2018 r nine t pure
34 Posts
Hi Lelc2

I'm thinking I'll probably just put on a skid plate, crash bars, and TKC70's and call it a day. I'll eventually upgrade the suspension as well.

Best,
-Tim
That'll mostly do the trick, and with a 17" front wheel you'll probably still have better road handling than a scrambler. Spoke wheels would be a good idea at some point also if you're still on the pure cast wheels, definitely on my list of future mods.

·
Registered
2017 Pure
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As for the standard Scrambler, I just checked the 2021 specs, and here are the differences between it and the Pure:
Wheelbase -- Scrambler 60.1" vs. Pure 58.8"
Steering head angle -- Scrambler 60.1 degrees vs. Pure 63.4 degrees
Suspension travel - front/rear -- Scrambler 4.9"/5.5" vs. Pure 4.7"/4.7"
That's interesting Tim. They must have changed that over the years, because the specs on my 2017 Pure, compared to the 2017 Scrambler, they both have 4.9" of suspension travel on the front, although the Scrambler has 5.5" of travel on the rear compared to the Pure at 4.7"

Best,
-Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts