BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #41
Coincedentally , a well known youtuber Lamb Chop Rides just got his Kawasaki remapped recently.
This is useful to watch as the tuner describes the fact you can "ignore" the low down A/F numbers at the bottom of the rev range when they examine the dyno traces. Some useful descriptions about interpreting dyno graphs.
Watch here (I've jumped towards the end for the relevant comments)
Thanks Ian_H,
I have started watching and it seems they clearly know what they are talking about.
Best - Silaxe

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #42
That's pretty interesting results, thanks for sharing! I wonder why the A/F-ratio didn't change much in low rpm and it especially why it's infact little bit richer 馃. I think it might have something to do with the fact that you have the original air box still in place and it may have restrict the air flow to the K&N filters. When I made this modification to my bike I could definitely notice the difference in low rpm's, which was considerably worse running and kind of jerky to drive slowly. I got that fixed pretty nicely with the Powercommander and the basic tune downloaded from the Dynojet's webpage, but after the real tuning in dyno it got much better. I like the comparable results you have now, it doesn't make much of a difference in power, as was expected, but I always wanted to do it just because of the look of the filter pod's. Have you decided are you going to keep the air box or remove it and go with the K&N's?

I think the light smoke coming from the filters is normal, with the original air box in place you just don't detect it. I haven't really notice anything while riding, even in traffic.

One thing that I've seen now that the air box is removed is that the crankcase breather filter should be fitted even higher, because there's now little bit of oil on top of the swing arm and starter motor. I'll try to get some kind of fix for it, but maybe just after this riding season.
Hi TiM81,
Even though the airbox is still in place, the filters get air from the open holes of the airbox as I have not covered them so the airflow to the filters should not be constrained..
Did more riding yesterday and the bike was smooth - no hesitations in low RPMs.
I still have to fully make up my mind with regards to removing the airbox. It looks cool (actually very cool - see attached) and so far works fine but I still have second thoughts. I also wonder whether it is going to mess with the bowden cables. Also, thanks for the heads up re crank breather.
More thinking to be done :)
Cheers - Silaxe

Registered
It sure looks great as it is! 馃槂 (y) I have to say it looks better than I expected, with both K&N's and air box in place.
The airbox removal took some serious thinking on my own, even though a had planned to do it before I even bought R9T. It's a whole different situation when you're holding a saw and think where should I start hacking it in pieces 馃槄

Btw, Do you have the air intake temp sensor in K&N or still in air box?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #44
I agree that while the airbox still in place does not allow to lighten the bike, it actuals looks pretty OK with it still in place with the filters on. I am going to use it that way for a while and then will see.
The air temps sensor is still in the box and I have put a small rubber plug to close the hole in the filter for now.

Registered
I think that the air inside the air box will heat up pretty fast without the air flow going through it, so that probably has some effect to the A/F-ratio too. I think warmer air should lead to the ECU trying to lean the mixture, but I'm not exactly certain about that..

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #46
Well the holes on each side of the air box where the intake pipes were connecting are left open so there should be airflow and cool air coming in, no?

Registered
Oh yea, you're probably right about that, maybe there's not much of a difference in temperature.

Registered
I agree that while the airbox still in place does not allow to lighten the bike, it actuals looks pretty OK with it still in place with the filters on. I am going to use it that way for a while and then will see.
The air temps sensor is still in the box and I have put a small rubber plug to close the hole in the filter for now.
did you use a power commander 5 with your filters?

41 - 49 of 49 Posts