BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined this forum last year and asked some general questions about the Rnine T. Currently I do not own a motorcycle and the last time I rode one was 25 years ago. Today I am 43 years old and have financing approved for the scrambler or RnineT. A few questions I have for you experienced motorcyclist is:

1) 2016 R nine t with a 2500 dollar rebate vs the scrambler which makes it cheaper. What are the pros and cons of each for virtually a beginner?
2) Is this too much bike for someone such as myself
3) I do plan on taking the MSF course however the last time I was on an air head it was my dads a very long time ago.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Which one do you like the look of best? That's probably your answer

(although I'm sure if the geometry of one or the other favours taller / shorter riders)

I'm a born again biker with a 20 year gap. It'll be fine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've had an r nine t 3 years now, coming to the end of 3 year PCP, that I'll not be renewing.

I'd say just get whichever one you look me the look of. I've only been on the Ducati Desert Sled, and have to say I loved it, despite thinking that it would be underpowered compared the nine T. Only my personal choice, but I'd take the Desert Sled over the nine T, but this being a nine T forum I'm guessing I'd be in a huge minority.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the R nine T scrambler compared to the base model R nine T. Just wanted to get some opinions form owners now who may have chose between the two and why. The 2500 dollar rebate is hard t pass on. Both bikes look incredible and if I could afford both I would purchase both of them. My dad had old air heads and I thought about going that route but then decided at this point with a family I need something that I do not have to spend much of my time in regards to maintenance but rather just riding. An older bike in the future would be great but just not realistic right now. 318 are you on a nine t or a scrambler?

·
Banned
79 Posts
I joined this forum last year and asked some general questions about the Rnine T. Currently I do not own a motorcycle and the last time I rode one was 25 years ago. Today I am 43 years old and have financing approved for the scrambler or RnineT. A few questions I have for you experienced motorcyclist is:

1) 2016 R nine t with a 2500 dollar rebate vs the scrambler which makes it cheaper. What are the pros and cons of each for virtually a beginner?
2) Is this too much bike for someone such as myself
3) I do plan on taking the MSF course however the last time I was on an air head it was my dads a very long time ago.

http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/bmw-ninet-general-discussion-forum/114242-2016-regular-2017-scrambler.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You for the link I see you chose the scrambler. I am 5'11 and when I sat on the r nine t I felt a little more forward. If I order the scrambler it will have the same tire and rim set up as yours.

·
Banned
79 Posts
How is the low speed maneuvering on the scrambler.
I have no problem with the scrambler's handling at any speed...the fact that you have nothing recent to compare it to...you'll quickly learn the bike, it's an easy and forgiving bike to ride with the 19" front and road tires. IMHO

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was having the same internal debate

Originally I was all for the R nineT. I'd not really considered the scrambler.

Then I saw the scrambler in the flesh and thought it looked amazing.

I test rode one with off-road tyres and hated it. Steering was awful and cornering felt downright dangerous.

Tested the standard 9T on the back of that test ride and it felt fantastic... but I love the look of the scrambler, so I arranged a test ride on a scrambler with road tyres. IT was night and day difference!

Really loved it and so much so that I picked up a new one on a PCP deal yesterday :)

Really easy to ride, a bit less 'sporty' feeling than the 9T and I just love the looks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blurry and Stinkerbill did you pick up a 2017 and if so what type of incentives did you negotiate for. This is my first bike purchase what can I expect for markup or should i wait a few months to pull the trigger. The scrambler as it sits has a price tag of $14,645. Heated grips, spoke wheels, ASC and the destination fee is $495.00 is this inline with your bikes?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was having the same internal debate

Originally I was all for the R nineT. I'd not really considered the scrambler.

Then I saw the scrambler in the flesh and thought it looked amazing.

I test rode one with off-road tyres and hated it. Steering was awful and cornering felt downright dangerous.

Tested the standard 9T on the back of that test ride and it felt fantastic... but I love the look of the scrambler, so I arranged a test ride on a scrambler with road tyres. IT was night and day difference!

Really loved it and so much so that I picked up a new one on a PCP deal yesterday :)

Really easy to ride, a bit less 'sporty' feeling than the 9T and I just love the looks
Would be intresting to know the tire pressure on the the bike you rode with off-road tires. I have Karoo 3 on mine and I have no problem cornering at all, super easy and confident all the way to the edge of the tire. The sound alot more on aspahalt but the steering feels perfect. Perhaps me driving bad but I like thoose tires. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Any help would be appreciated thanks!
I got mine in november. I went for heated grips and LED turn signals. I like the look of the standard rim and have had a bike with ASC, I rather use my wrist for that. When I started to ride it I missed the rev counter but not now :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I went for the Scrambler X - wire wheels, ASC, heated grips, Alu tank....

Cost a shade over £12k here and not really any deals to be had, but I went the PCP route (personal contract hire) so £1500 deposit and £200/month over 3 years... then trade it in for something new :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Would be intresting to know the tire pressure on the the bike you rode with off-road tires. I have Karoo 3 on mine and I have no problem cornering at all, super easy and confident all the way to the edge of the tire. The sound alot more on aspahalt but the steering feels perfect. Perhaps me driving bad but I like thoose tires. :)

I can only assume the pressures were correct, but when turning into a corner it just kind of 'drops in' scaring the crap out of me. Hated it.

Road tyres made a huge difference.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I can only assume the pressures were correct, but when turning into a corner it just kind of 'drops in' scaring the crap out of me. Hated it.

Road tyres made a huge difference.
OK. Would be interesting to try a Scrambler with road tires. Try to do that :)

·
Banned
79 Posts
Blurry and Stinkerbill did you pick up a 2017 and if so what type of incentives did you negotiate for. This is my first bike purchase what can I expect for markup or should i wait a few months to pull the trigger. The scrambler as it sits has a price tag of $14,645. Heated grips, spoke wheels, ASC and the destination fee is $495.00 is this inline with your bikes?
That is in line with what I paid about 5 months ago for the same package....you can always try to deal, depends on the dealership...

I think that the scrambler will become an overlooked model when the Urban G/S comes out next month...so maybe if you wait a few months there might be a good deal to be had.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is a great point but I have had the itch to ride now for over a year. Maybe they will deal somewhat or give me the first service.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I had a similar story too. I did my MSF course and learned a great amount, certainly worth doing. The next day I picked up a Ducati Scrambler 800 and got to know it pretty well, but a few weeks went by and I never was very happy with it. So I went and did a test ride on an R9T. I was in love. I found the 9T easy to ride as a beginner. One thing you should think about is the sensation of weight.. having the boxer's low CG makes maneuvering very easy and confidence inspiring. Even though the BMW weighs about 70lbs more than my Ducati I can tell the difference immediately from one to the other. So this will certainly make you feel more confident than say another kind of engine set up. Another thing to think about is the lower seat height. The regular 9T has about a 2'' lower seat height than the 9T Scrambler. Enjoy the hunt, and I HIGHLY recommend doing a TEST RIDE! It could save you a bunch of money.

Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts