BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how comfortable are the standard seats?

I realise that I may be opening a festering wound of a topic for some people, there seems to be a fair spread of folk who like and loathe the bench seats in equal measure.

What about aftermarket seats, are they any better?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I will just say there are some aftermarket seats out there, some have options to add gel pads built into them but they are costly. I have the scrambler and it has been very comfortable for me for up to 3-4 hours of riding in a day. Others say they don't like the stock seats. I just traded my scrambler seat for the Pure 2 piece seat so I'll know the difference when that seat shows up on Friday.

Roland Sands, Sargent, Corbin, Wunderlich, and many other companies make seats for this bike but in every case, they are costly. The real question is, what is the cost of comfort for you?

Here's a thread for aftermarket seats for these bikes.

http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/accessories-gear/67169-what-custom-seat-options-available-r9t.html

I personally plan to rebuild the stock Pure seat to add a gel pad and change the cover to a brown leather. There are many options including local seat builders who can modify or rebuild the seat you have.

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,601 Posts
You aren't looking for a definitive answer, are you? ;)

Along with oil and fuelling threads, seat threads generate masses of opinions.

My 2c is that the stock R nineT classic seat is borderline and shows its limitations after riding for 45 mins or so. Modifying my riding stance with different bars and rearsets doubled that time to make the seating experience decent. I'm going to be adding a gel seat insert when I can find some time and I hope that'll give a further improvement.

Sargent seats seem to get a good name for themselves, but there are seats from Corbin, RSD and others to consider too.

Very subjective topic, this!

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 2c is that the stock R nineT classic seat is borderline and shows its limitations after riding for 45 mins or so. Modifying my riding stance with different bars and rearsets doubled that time to make the seating experience decent. I'm going to be adding a gel seat insert when I can find some time and I hope that'll give a further improvement.
i also agree.... buddy had that mustang seat which he swore it was a life-changer, and when i tried it, it felt horrible.... so there is no one "perfect seat" for the masses. i feel lucky i dont care too much about seats... but fyi, i did add a handle bar riser, and pretty much wear by Kreiga backpack all the time, (the bag helps the wind flow better around me, at least i feel like it is) and on the verge of swapping out the pegs so i can move them back a bit.... so ergo really makes a big diff.... u dont sit on ur tailbone all the time while ur riding so try fiddling with ur riding position also, u maybe surprised...

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hi Steve,
did you replace the seat with the scrambler single?
or with the RSD single ?

just getting info to see which one may be a better buy.
I feel that anything I get will need some updating
I too think the single seat especially the RSD s really nice looking but most likely will hurt :)

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Hi Steve,
did you replace the seat with the scrambler single?
or with the RSD single ?

just getting info to see which one may be a better buy.
I feel that anything I get will need some updating
I too think the single seat especially the RSD s really nice looking but most likely will hurt :)
Its the BMW one. I had my dealer order it for me once they became available. Wasn't cheap, but its really sweet!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha! There are no definitive answers, there is no normal.

All I'm trying to do is get an appreciation of whether people are happy with the standard seats. I'm going to be riding one through europe, so I wondered whether my first aftermarket purchase should be a different seat, or that gel seat kit everyone's raving about.

I'll PM you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you want more comfort, change the rear shock!
If you’re still uncomfortable after that change the seat
Or get a GS
That being said, I really like the looks of the RSD Flat Out seat.
I myself am waiting on the release of the new Wünderlich one piece seat.
They have a pic on their website but you can’t order it yet.
Wünderlich
Unfortunately there is no release date yet but I hope it will be any time soon.
My dealer told me he’ll let me know when they are available.

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,601 Posts
Actually that is a good call re the rear shock. I forgot about that but although it did make some improvement on the comfort, most of the improvement the shock made was in handling over rough surfaces. I found the riding position change (for me) made a bigger difference. We are all different though, what will work for one person possibly won't for the next....

·
Registered
137 Posts
The stock rear shock is killing my back so I hope changing it will not only improve handling but also comfort.
Btw, I’m really interested in hearing about how you changed the riding position Dave.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The Sargent seat was a game changer for me. I went from numbness and pain after 60 miles to no problem doing 300 miles

·
Registered
449 Posts
The Sargent seat was a game changer for me. I went from numbness and pain after 60 miles to no problem doing 300 miles

That is really good to hear, I'm considering going with the tan Sargent seat on my scrambler or rebuilding the stock 2 piece seat and adding a gel pad. The slightly wider Sargent seat sounds better though.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
That is really good to hear, I'm considering going with the tan Sargent seat on my scrambler or rebuilding the stock 2 piece seat and adding a gel pad. The slightly wider Sargent seat sounds better though.
I see you ride a Scrambler – the low seat is not rideable for me, the high seat is a bit better but still won't get me through a full tank. Haven't decided yet on which aftermarket seat.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I see you ride a Scrambler – the low seat is not rideable for me, the high seat is a bit better but still won't get me through a full tank. Haven't decided yet on which aftermarket seat.
Interesting, I had the low scrambler seat and had no issues riding up to 4 hours in day trips out to the coast. I just traded it for the 2 piece Pure seat and it has softer seat foam but I'm looking into the Sargent seat because I want to take multi day/week trips on my bike. Maybe it would have been smart to get the GS or RT. I do love my R9T.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I do 300 mile days on my Racer and the stock seat hasn’t been an issue. Maybe I’m too distracted by my neck occasional fatigue from the clip ons to notice though.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
...I'm looking into the Sargent seat because I want to take multi day/week trips on my bike...
Please keep me posted on this, would you? Sargent has a very good name, and it's on my short list as well.

From what I can see, Sargent's website has three options:
1) front seat only,
2) front seat and cover of existing rear seat (starts at $400+s/h, includes a 30 day money-back guarantee - good!)
3) front seat and storage pod.
Read: they don't upholster the existing bench, for #2 the rider has to supply a rear seat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
the stock ones for me are ok - in any case coz I want a better look I got the RS one and still comfortable problem is that took almost an inch out on the height, so went back to the stock one and put the Roland Sand on sale

·
Registered
76 Posts
I, too, was unhappy with the stock 9T "thong", so I popped for a used Mustang. Reasonably priced and IMHO better constructed than the OEM. I like the fastening system, too. Very secure without the silly plastic thingy. Anyway, with crap weather out East here, I finally found a window today to try the saddle out, and though it is much firmer than I expected, I think I'm going to like it. Only put 55 miles on in 35 degree temps (might soften in the sun?) but I'm definitely squirming less and if I scoot all the way back to the dished "pocket" it's pretty nice (though that means a steeper forward lean than I like, and I'm running lowered pegs and 20mm risers.) For comparison sake, I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam. Some say they don't like the look, I kinda, do. It's somewhat different (but then, so am I). With even higher, more pulled back bars, it would be the bomb. But then that would be a R1200R ergonomically, wouldn't it?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts