BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have to confess...

Two months ago a very tempting opportunity to buy an R1250RS came about.

I sold the Pure and learnt my way around my newer, considerably different bike.

Competent and dignified though it is, I started a few days ago to miss my Nine T.

You see, the RS doesn't have that whiff of hot oil when one steps off it, nor does it ever feel quite so mechanically interactive as the Pure used to.

I got a wonderful deal on the RS, so trading it in wouldn't involve parting with much (or indeed any) money. Besides, the Nine T is cheaper to insure for whatever reason.

The main reason behind my decision to swap bikes was that I wanted something akin to a mile cruncher for future touring endeavours. One might argue that I couldn't have chosen worse a time. The Nine T isn't that, though it may be accesorized to resemble one, but does it even matter ? I've seen many tales of world crossing trips done on 125s, so surely the steed is of a lesser importance.

Am I going berserk ?

The RS has many qualities : its suspension breathes with the road in a way that I had never experienced before ; it's quite dynamic and it obviously shields one from the elements reasonably well but...

It just doesn't involve me very much.

Though I remember many moments of riding pleasure, I don't remember any of true juvenile glee. The Nine T used to give me those.

I've looked around. Nothing quite fits my requirements :

Has to be more Fun than the RS

Has to offer a way (whether OEM or aftermarket) to securely carry around helmet ; rain gear ; and about 2 to 3 kilos of school books. I don't fancy going back to rucksacks.

I don't like ADV bikes, and the other retro bikes that I had tried before buying the Pure left me cold.

Could I have missed an option ?

Has anyone here gone back to Nine T ownership after a comparable hiatus ?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I’m sad for you Euler, don’t know what to say or how to console you. I’d start looking for another 9T if I were you. Not many leave once bitten by the torque Queen so I don’t think many will respond or associate with having separation anxiety. Most are here to stay... we all look at the new crop each year and when you own the best it’s hard to find better........Blitz

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
1,310 Posts
Sorry to hear about the regrets. I dreamed of owning an R1200R for years - first the old air/oil-cooled model, then the newer liquid cooled one. Almost bought one in January 2020 but didn't and kind of regretted it. Fast forward several months and I've decided an R9T Pure was probably the bike for me, but test rode a newer R1200R the same day - and bought the R9T due to its character and the grin it put on my face. The naked R bike was terrific, but almost too refined for my taste. So I understand what you're talking about comparing the RS to an R9T.

My friendly suggestion would be to look for a late air/oil-cooled R1200R, like a 2011 to 2014 "Camhead" generation bike, which has basically the same engine as the R9T. Plus the R1200R has available factory hard bags and luggage rack. Some of those older bikes here in the US even include the luggage with the bike. Buying an older R like that would give you a bike with a more visceral riding experience, but more comfortable to crunch many miles, and if it has the OEM luggage you can easily pack the bike for commutes and trips.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had a few japanese bikes before getting my R nine T.. not a single bike gave me the feeling my R nine T does.

You say you bought the 1250 for the ease of use and panniers (i assume) so you can carry stuff around.
I also bought previous bikes with only "easy of use" and "practicality" in mind and i always regretted buying bikes with that reason in mind. It held me from buying the bikes i loved looks / character wise.

The R-nineT is a great bike; and can also be made pratical. For example if you buy an Urban G/S (or any other type) and throw on a Topcase or sidecases (just released by Unit garage) it can be a very pratical bike that you can carry stuff in.

An other option is getting two seperate bikes.. one for pleasure and one for work.
If you are getting a workhorse as extra bike that has storage; i would sugest you look at an NC750X. It has a storage space instead of a tank for a full face helmet.
In time (and when i get my own place) i am also going to re-buy a NC750X just for this practical reason. I plan on skipping the step you took by selling my R-nine T ever.

Good luck on your journey!

·
Registered
BMW R NineT 2021 (Black Storm Metallic, Comfort Pack, Adaptive Headlight, Option 719 Classic Wheels)
67 Posts
"Has anyone here gone back to Nine T ownership after a comparable hiatus?"

Yes, over here! I had my first Nine T from 2017-19, had some great times with it but unfortunately the clutch started slipping so I decided to cut my losses and trade it for an R1200GS TE with full luggage and nav as I had some longer trips planned. Great bike, very competent, but ugly (to my eyes) and utterly dull. Traded after 8 months for a Ducati Supersport S to try and get back to something with a bit more character - which it does have, but it's still missing something for me, and the ownership experience so far hasn't been great (much like the residuals!).

After a lot of chin scratching and a test ride to confirm my thoughts I've got a 2021 Nine T on order. To my mind nothing else comes close in terms of the overall riding and owning experience, and there isn't really anything you can't do on a Nine T (touring, sightseeing, scratching, track days, the list goes on) - except maybe off road, and I have my DR350 for that.

You can work around luggage (there are loads of options), you can get them with tubeless tyres now (a major practicality issue for me) and it'll provide that little "je ne sais quoi" that so many other modern bikes are missing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear @BlitzSchnell ; @TimC ; @FSEngineer and @Chris.,

Thank you all for your considerate replies.

I tend to overthink things, and that's surely what brought me to buy the 1250RS. A desire of greater ease of use (clip-on panniers) and for a degree of weather protection were at a root of the thinking process that led me to it.

It always felt quite benign, rather than truly lust inducing. Always reassuring in its display of great ability, rather than ever truly exciting in its delivery. A tentative to liven it up a bit with the purchase of a slip-on proved vain, which led me to think that really nothing could bring out any real kind of that juvenile joy I was rambling about. I looked at it, complete with its recently-purchase MRA screen, and thought that it perhaps was a bike best suited to someone else. I'm in my twenties and here I was giving serious brain time to the best setting on a bike's windscreen...

My bikes are used year round, as I have no car and commute everyday. The Pure had some real deficiencies, awful weather protection (water spray from the rear wheel in my boots!), even worse lighting, and at a point it made sense in my mind to call it quits whilst it was still relatively new and get a bike that had perhaps been designed around function more than form. I now realize that most of these flaws could have been fixed with accessories (in a funny turn of fate, I had to purchase a rear mudguard for the RS as it too suffers from that same design flaw).

My Pure had a top-box fitted, a kit from Hepco and Becker which always looked a little frail, and though it brought some funny comments from other bikers and BMW dealership employees (which had never seen one fitted to any R NineT) I now can't imagine living without it. It's just great to have somewhere locked to store one's stuff away when exploring or simply running errands. Couldn't care less about the looks really, just squint one eyes whilst approaching the bike from the side and it vanishes.

Tubed wheels were a concern, I was pleased when I heard that BMW offered tubeless options on its latest iteration.
Cruise control is also a nice addition.

@Chris. : Thanks for the Unit Garage recommendation, their stuff seems to be really well built and I didn't know that they had released such a kit. All three boxes can receive BMW cylinder locks, which is great !
Sadly, about your second recommendation, I can't have two bikes. Not enough garage space, and insurance would ruin me or at least prevent me from actually using the bikes on tour, which I plan on doing quite frequently once lockdowns lift.

@TimC : I considered that option, and it's an enticing one, but my heart doesn't agree with my mind regarding the looks of the R1200R...

@FSEngineer : Great minds think alike, I had set my heart on a SuperSport S for a while, the new one looks stunning. Sadly, that's a step backwards in terms of practicality and I feared, like you seem to have discovered, that it might still lack something in terms of mechanical enjoyment compared to the Nine T.
What did you think about the EU5 nine of your test ride compared to your previous bike ? I'm especially curious about how ride-by-wire has affected it, if indeed it has at all. I like pulling cable, but I also found the throttle action really quite long on my EU4 Pure. It felt like 270° of rotation were needed to fully open the butterflies...

·
Registered
375 Posts
The R9T is a sledge hammer, the 1250RS is a scalpel. Both require involvement and discipline, you're just not used to the finer levels of involvement the RS needs. The RS's lack of brute force input leaves you quite a bit more mental and physically free to observe your surroundings.

At least the 1250 has a center stand.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The R9T is a sledge hammer, the 1250RS is a scalpel. Both require involvement and discipline, you're just not used to the finer levels of involvement the RS needs. The RS's lack of brute force input leaves you quite a bit more mental and physically free to observe your surroundings.

At least the 1250 has a center stand.
It's not so much about the way they handle than about how they make me feel. The 1250RS is a great bike, don't get me wrong, but it is dull. It's stable as a large ship, and is a joy on long open curves, but my definition of a "scalpel" when it comes to motorcycle handling involves a certain degree of agility that the RS doesn't possess. I used to own a STriple 765RS and that was indeed a scalpel. That's not the point though, the point is that I don't feel as good riding the RS as I did the Nine T.

I agree about the Center-Stand, I had one for the first time on the RS and I used it a lot more than I thought I would. That said, Wunderlich sells one for the Nine T.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
It's not so much about the way they handle than about how they make me feel. The 1250RS is a great bike, don't get me wrong, but it is dull. It's stable as a large ship, and is a joy on long open curves, but my definition of a "scalpel" when it comes to motorcycle handling involves a certain degree of agility that the RS doesn't possess. I used to own a STriple 765RS and that was indeed a scalpel. That's not the point though, the point is that I don't feel as good riding the RS as I did the Nine T.

I agree about the Center-Stand, I had one for the first time on the RS and I used it a lot more than I thought I would. That said, Wunderlich sells one for the Nine T.
Vectorbug / Euler.. ..Sledge hammer ? perhaps a gold plated ball peen would be better put considering what it cost. ....center stand, what for? My bursig lift raises both tires off the ground ....at the same time. If you want to commute take the train. If you want to raise your heart rate and put a smile on your face ..ride your 9T. No where in the branding or name ... BMW R9T 1200cc twin cylinder 110hp 140mph good looking motorcycle does it say or imply practical. Euler my friend, It’s for thrills and fun and jealous looks from other riders .. that’s it ! ..Isn’t that enough ? Take it to the bar for a pint ..... real real fast, they’ll hear you coming .. then you’ll remember why you bought it, and why you love it too ! StayUpOn2 Mates ..BeWell .....Blitz👍

·
Registered
BMW R NineT 2021 (Black Storm Metallic, Comfort Pack, Adaptive Headlight, Option 719 Classic Wheels)
67 Posts
@FSEngineer : Great minds think alike, I had set my heart on a SuperSport S for a while, the new one looks stunning. Sadly, that's a step backwards in terms of practicality and I feared, like you seem to have discovered, that it might still lack something in terms of mechanical enjoyment compared to the Nine T.
What did you think about the EU5 nine of your test ride compared to your previous bike ? I'm especially curious about how ride-by-wire has affected it, if indeed it has at all. I like pulling cable, but I also found the throttle action really quite long on my EU4 Pure. It felt like 270° of rotation were needed to fully open the butterflies...
For me the EU5 served only to improve the bike. For context I added the "RRRapido" quick throttle cam to my previous Nine T for exactly the reason you mention, along with a remap from Hilltop and Remus decat headers (and flap delete) to liven it up a bit. The new bike with ride by wire felt to me like my old bike after the throttle cam and remap - a reasonable amount more shove in the midrange, and a bit more responsive. I imagine using "Dynamic" throttle mode would improve that even further, and the cruise control is a fantastic addition for ease of use on fast boring roads (even if it is arguably not in character for the rest of the bike). It's a little quieter and the baffles are apparently welded in, but that didn't bother me - it was nice not having to wear ear plugs to make my own exhaust bearable.

The e-throttle has the added bonus of not needing to re-sync the throttle bodies manually as the cables stretch, the perfect sync means it's smooth as can be all the time :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well... I've ordered a '21 Nine T.

Spoked tubeless wheels (I would've preferred cast wheels but none were readily available), all electronic bells and whistles and a cradle for my SP Connect wireless charger.

Some modifications are planned, almost all of them being of a functional nature. Please do cover your eyes, as this Nine T will carry a top box... :)

Delivery should happen next week.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

Spoked tubeless wheels (I would've preferred cast wheels but none were readily available), all electronic bells and whistles and a cradle for my SP Connect wireless charger.

Some modifications are planned, almost all of them being of a functional nature. Please do cover your eyes, as this Nine T will carry a top box... :)

Euler, there’s not a thing wrong with a top box, where else are you going to put your stuff ?
The picture shows frame mounts for saddle bags too but I have since removed them since my long distance traveling days are over. If I can’t get there in a day (10 hours at 80mph) then I’m not going so I’m no longer carrying an overnight kit but I’ll always keep my top box or everything ends up in a pack on my back .... no thank you. Post lots of picks. StayUpOn2
.......Blitz

·
Registered
67 Posts

...are you me? 😆

Sounds exactly the same spec as my '21 Nine T, hopefully collecting tomorrow!

·
Registered
414 Posts

I am really wondering how that topcase is going to look.. i plan om also putting one on my urban G/S for "pratical" use..
The unit garage rack that they have now looks like the normal rack, but also supports their topcase.

If the space is needed; slap on the case and you got a secure way of locking away your helmet / gear during an outing or business visit.
If you decide to ride without case; it still looks like a normal rack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I have to confess...

Two months ago a very tempting opportunity to buy an R1250RS came about.

I sold the Pure and learnt my way around my newer, considerably different bike.

Competent and dignified though it is, I started a few days ago to miss my Nine T.

You see, the RS doesn't have that whiff of hot oil when one steps off it, nor does it ever feel quite so mechanically interactive as the Pure used to.

I got a wonderful deal on the RS, so trading it in wouldn't involve parting with much (or indeed any) money. Besides, the Nine T is cheaper to insure for whatever reason.

The main reason behind my decision to swap bikes was that I wanted something akin to a mile cruncher for future touring endeavours. One might argue that I couldn't have chosen worse a time. The Nine T isn't that, though it may be accesorized to resemble one, but does it even matter ? I've seen many tales of world crossing trips done on 125s, so surely the steed is of a lesser importance.

Am I going berserk ?

The RS has many qualities : its suspension breathes with the road in a way that I had never experienced before ; it's quite dynamic and it obviously shields one from the elements reasonably well but...

It just doesn't involve me very much.

Though I remember many moments of riding pleasure, I don't remember any of true juvenile glee. The Nine T used to give me those.

I've looked around. Nothing quite fits my requirements :

Has to be more Fun than the RS

Has to offer a way (whether OEM or aftermarket) to securely carry around helmet ; rain gear ; and about 2 to 3 kilos of school books. I don't fancy going back to rucksacks.

I don't like ADV bikes, and the other retro bikes that I had tried before buying the Pure left me cold.

Could I have missed an option ?

Has anyone here gone back to Nine T ownership after a comparable hiatus ?
Same here. I sold my R nine T Pure 6 months ago to buy either a GS or a MStrada to go longer distances. But with Covid, bike imports are no hold and might get the new bike in 4 to 6 months more but will be winter here in New Zealand. Talk about seller's remorse.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...are you me? 😆

Sounds exactly the same spec as my '21 Nine T, hopefully collecting tomorrow!
We do seem to have quite similar tastes in bikes indeed ! If I hadn't thought it through I'd have gone for a Ducati SS as you have... Is yours in the classic black colourway as well ?

I am really wondering how that topcase is going to look.. i plan om also putting one on my urban G/S for "pratical" use..
The unit garage rack that they have now looks like the normal rack, but also supports their topcase.

If the space is needed; slap on the case and you got a secure way of locking away your helmet / gear during an outing or business visit.
If you decide to ride without case; it still looks like a normal rack.
I do like Unit Garage's solution, however it seems strange to me to have only one available capacity, especially quite a small one at 36L.

My Pure had an Hpeco and Becker rack fitted with a 45L case, which is just enough to contain a rather full rucksack along with gloves and a helmet.

Because I kept that case, buying a full UG rack+case system doesn't make much financial sense. What's really holding me back however is that capacity. Their aluminium panniers look great however, and it would be nice to have a coordinated set that would open with the bike's ignition key.

Same here. I sold my R nine T Pure 6 months ago to buy either a GS or a MStrada to go longer distances. But with Covid, bike imports are no hold and might get the new bike in 4 to 6 months more but will be winter here in New Zealand. Talk about seller's remorse.
That sucks. Have you had the possibility of riding any other bike since then ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
We do seem to have quite similar tastes in bikes indeed ! If I hadn't thought it through I'd have gone for a Ducati SS as you have... Is yours in the classic black colourway as well ?
Yep, classic black with the tubeless spoked wheels and all electronic options (comfort pack, adaptive headlight and the standard fitment tracker) :)

Already loving the bike and I only collected yesterday - so different to the Ducati, a much better road bike IMO. Seat isn't as comfy though, must get a Sargent on order...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m sad for you Euler, don’t know what to say or how to console you. I’d start looking for another 9T if I were you. Not many leave once bitten by the torque Queen so I don’t think many will respond or associate with having separation anxiety. Most are here to stay... we all look at the new crop each year and when you own the best it’s hard to find better........Blitz
I jump on other bikes,all the time.
I openly admit the newer motor is better in many ways.
I just keep going back to that 9T.
I simply dig her. Period.
Wire wheels,cable throttle,110 horse.
Whats not to adore?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I jump on other bikes,all the time.
I openly admit the newer motor is better in many ways.
I just keep going back to that 9T.
I simply dig her. Period.
Wire wheels,cable throttle,110 horse.
Whats not to adore?
2015 is as new to me as yesterday Steve, and I adore my machine as well. This is my first fuel injected anything ! I’ve never owned a machine new or used I didn’t have to tinker with twice every ride. That was just part of the routine, it’s what it cost you to ride hard and fast from point A to point B. It was part of the fun of it. This BMW just won’t quit. I turn the key and push her as hard as I can in every available opportunity and she just keeps coming back for more, nothing is loose, nothing rattles or falls off, I come back from a two hour workout with no oil or grease on my face, no grunge under my finger nails .... it’s wonderful. Bullet proof ! What a fine, fast, agile machine she is. I couldn’t be happier. She just big enough to scare the crap out of me every time I ride her. That’s why I keep mounting up! The thrill is always there waiting for me to twist my wrist .... zoomzoom. GoFast-HaveFun......Blitz

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2015 is as new to me as yesterday Steve, and I adore my machine as well. This is my first fuel injected anything ! I’ve never owned a machine new or used I didn’t have to tinker with twice every ride. That was just part of the routine, it’s what it cost you to ride hard and fast from point A to point B. It was part of the fun of it. This BMW just won’t quit. I turn the key and push her as hard as I can in every available opportunity and she just keeps coming back for more, nothing is loose, nothing rattles or falls off, I come back from a two hour workout with no oil or grease on my face, no grunge under my finger nails .... it’s wonderful. Bullet proof ! What a fine, fast, agile machine she is. I couldn’t be happier. She just big enough to scare the crap out of me every time I ride her. That’s why I keep mounting up! The thrill is always there waiting for me to twist my wrist .... zoomzoom. GoFast-HaveFun......Blitz
Though I have a lot less experience than you obviously have with motorcycles, I've appreciated ever since I first rode a Nine T that it had the personality and charm of a real old bike, with none of the usual trouble associated with the ownership of an old bike.

I remember quite vividly riding some other retro bikes (which have the benefit of being way cheaper to insure than more modern looking equivalents) and thinking that they really were sanitized new machinery dressed up for a fancy dinner in town.

The first mile on that Nine T however...

Felt closer to a wingless plane than a bike to me.

It sort of makes me wonder what it would be regarded as if it was styled differently. Some people can be put off by the retro styling, I know that I wasn't attracted to the tweed-clad hipster crowd that one most often sees riding such bikes. I don't buy bikes to fit any kind of stereotype though, so I didn't care, but I can understand why someone would pass by it and not give a second look. That'd be a shame though.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts