BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Though I have a lot less experience than you obviously have with motorcycles, I've appreciated ever since I first rode a Nine T that it had the personality and charm of a real old bike, with none of the usual trouble associated with the ownership of an old bike.

I remember quite vividly riding some other retro bikes (which have the benefit of being way cheaper to insure than more modern looking equivalents) and thinking that they really were sanitized new machinery dressed up for a fancy dinner in town.

The first mile on that Nine T however...

Felt closer to a wingless plane than a bike to me.

It sort of makes me wonder what it would be regarded as if it was styled differently. Some people can be put off by the retro styling, I know that I wasn't attracted to the tweed-clad hipster crowd that one most often sees riding such bikes. I don't buy bikes to fit any kind of stereotype though, so I didn't care, but I can understand why someone would pass by it and not give a second look. That'd be a shame though.
I understand Euler, I too had an image problem with BMW right up to the moment when I test drove the 9T, twisted my wrist and watched the speedometer climb up thru the clouds with this never ending band of torque that only started to taper at well over 100mph. I love to fly my bike. Are you aware that BMW pre-WWII exclusively made airplane engines, that the boxer was designed as an airplane power plant? There’s your wingless plane vibe. I ride motorcycles primarily because flying powered aircraft (which I’ve done many times) is way to expensive. Getting UpOn2 is as close to flying while still on the ground as you’ll ever get. I fully understand why an airplane engine must be ultra-dependable but until I owned my first BMW did I realize they put that fabulous dependable engine on two wheels. What a concept, I could leave all my tools at home. When I rode pre-BMW I always had a screwdriver and a pair of pliers in my pocket at all times. You had to or your going to get stuck somewhere trying to use your pocket change and a pen knife as tools. No more! I went to a gathering of BMW motos back in the 70’s and by the time I left I was sold. The stories they told of these machines was no less than amazing. I now concur wholly. Nicest most dependable engine I’ve owned, last count was 14 motorcycles. I’ll never go back. I love the retro look of the 9T Classic ... at the same time, the fuel injection is amazing and nothing like what I experienced on other actual Classic bikes. You can ride as a mild mannered tweed-clad hipster ...or as a confident man of means in big damn hurry on a gorgeous and expensive piece of equipment. I prefer the later. I get more jealous looks from young men in BMW automobiles than anyone else. They know what I’m riding. The Harley crowd wants to kill you but they can’t catch you and the hip kids just want to trade rides for a few hours. The crotch rockets and rice burners just seem like a fad to me, for the really young go-fast moto heads. They’re all stuck making payments trying to figure how they can trade up to what you and I are riding today. You’re in the cat/bird seat Euler .. Enjoy the ride my friend. Pat yourself on the back. StayUpOn2 .... Vive la différence ........Blitz

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
584 Posts
Are you aware that BMW pre-WWII exclusively made airplane engines
That is completely false. BMW started making airplane engines for WWI and after the end of the war stayed in business making motorcycles while aircraft manufacture was banned. The first BMW motorcycle rolled off the line in 1923 followed closely by cars 1928. The company focused only on aircraft engines and motorcycles during WWII. Once again the company survived by making motorcycles post WWII when the manufacture of aircraft and automobiles was banned.

the boxer was designed as an airplane power plant
Most aircraft engines in the early era of BMW were inline 6 engines. Airplanes require high RPM and high torque to keep a propeller spinning with force. A two cylinder engine back then, especially a relatively small one wouldn't provide enough of either. The boxer twin itself was designed as an all in one, portable industrial engine meant for multiple purposes. It could be used as generator, to run farming or mining equipment or indeed put in a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
That is completely false. BMW started making airplane engines for WWI and after the end of the war stayed in business making motorcycles while aircraft manufacture was banned. The first BMW motorcycle rolled off the line in 1923 followed closely by cars 1928. The company focused only on aircraft engines and motorcycles during WWII. Once again the company survived by making motorcycles post WWII when the manufacture of aircraft and automobiles was banned.

Most aircraft engines in the early era of BMW were inline 6 engines. Airplanes require high RPM and high torque to keep a propeller spinning with force. A two cylinder engine back then, especially a relatively small one wouldn't provide enough of either. The boxer twin itself was designed as an all in one, portable industrial engine meant for multiple purposes. It could be used as generator, to run farming or mining equipment or indeed put in a motorcycle.
Thank you for clarification, I struck the “I” one to many times ... I’ve personally flown a number of ultra-light aircraft that were all less than 50 horse power and the RPM’s you spoke of are obtained through torque and ordinary pulley ratios. See Rotax engines. The prop is spinning around twice as fast as the engine, tip speed is just under the speed of sound. I fully realize the technology and material science was not present back then but today the two piston 110hp would actually by quite sufficient. The problem is the weight limitations would exceed the government limitations to qualify as ultra light but the RPM and horsepower would actually be plenty for flight, you’d have to license and be subject to maintenance regulations thus no one is interested, you could buy a small commercial air craft that is much more comfortable than open cockpit ..... so part of my statement was chronologically incorrect but the premis was not “completely false” It’s good to hear from you again if0rg0t2remember ....it’s been a while since you tried to spank me, I missed your cheery repertoire ......Blitz
P.S. Euler he’s right, I’m wrong. He is the keeper of facts ... but I’m still glad you got your new 9T .. you’ll never feel sellers remorse again, ride like the wind, just like a plane with out wings. By the way... The BMW logo (Badge) on your motorcycle evolved from a propeller, an airplane propeller, not a tractor or generator. I’ve yet to see a tractor in the TT, have you ?
StayUpOn2 my friend ... most tractors have three or four. SmileBig! ✌😎

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
1,310 Posts
It sort of makes me wonder what it would be regarded as if it was styled differently. Some people can be put off by the retro styling, I know that I wasn't attracted to the tweed-clad hipster crowd that one most often sees riding such bikes. I don't buy bikes to fit any kind of stereotype though, so I didn't care, but I can understand why someone would pass by it and not give a second look. That'd be a shame though.
I like the styling of the entire R9T lineup, but I prefer the cast wheels over the spoked wheels, partially because I think the cast wheels make for a cool combination of old and new, retro and modern. I felt the same when I first starting looking at buying a motorcycle 15+ years ago, focusing early on the Suzuki M50, a bike which had classic cruiser elements, but also had mag wheels.

Truth be told, however, I didn't buy my R9T Pure due to any retro vibe. It was the whole package that drew me to this bike. Now that I've personalized it a bit, with more to come, it looks even better to me. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Hello everyone !

I took delivery of my new Nine T just yesterday.

For some strange reason I did feel a little sad leaving the RS at the dealership. One day our paths may cross again, who knows.

Although the fuel reserve sensor has gone mad, and should be fixed soon enough, it has been rather plain sailing. I was surprised by the very high idle on cold starts.

What pleases me most thus far is that creamy smooth throttle pickup, as it was my fear that leaning the mixture down to clear EU5 regs might have created some jerkiness. There was nothing to fear, it's actually smoother than I remember my Pure feeling, and a lot smoother than the 1250 RS.

I do miss the sonorous, extroverted personality of my EU4 Pure however, a slip-on might find its way to my doorstep.

I'll post some pictures of the bike once it's modified enough to justify doing so. The top case and panniers racks should be delivered to me next week.

It's really rather lovely, I must say. That gold fork is growing on me.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
1,310 Posts
Congratulations on getting your brand new R9T!! :)

I think I've read the same thing about the new bikes and their throttle response. The throttle by wire seems to have smoothed out off-throttle response.

By the way, you may need to wait a while to order an aftermarket slip-on. Apparently the pipe diameter has changed for 2021. There is probably a workaround, but you should know up front a different older exhaust might not fit 100%.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Guilty here too... 🙄

I loved to ride my Rine Nine T Urban G/S. Then my eye fell on a F850GS... The idea of going to tour in the Alps in all comfort got me... I was sold on the TFT dash. The adjustable shock absorbers, Whizwheel at the steering bar to operate all shits and giggles and Adjustable windscreen... Then Covid Hit. Right amid the soaring pandemic, the garage came and delivered my GS, took good old Pumba with them... Meanwhile. I've done some domestic touring on the F850... It's pretty good. It does all very well... But it just lacks the oomph and the emotion of the previous UGS.
So last month, on the way back from my Zeeland trip (South Holland) I stopped at my dealer... and ordered the same UGS... (well, it's got golden rims this time, and a double exhaust like on the scrambler) I'm going back to smelling like a garage when I'm done riding. I'm going back to taking a hairpin turn in 'oh shit' 3rd. I'm going back to trembling when I'm at a red light. Back to listening when I should switch gears. Back to peering at the glass weekly to see if my oil runs low. But foremost: Back to throwing my leg over good old Pumba, my German Twin Boxer Warthog... any time I feel like it. Because it's just puts a smile on my face. That never happened with the F850... So I'm back. In August. 😎

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Guilty here too... 🙄

I loved to ride my Rine Nine T Urban G/S. Then my eye fell on a F850GS... The idea of going to tour in the Alps in all comfort got me... I was sold on the TFT dash. The adjustable shock absorbers, Whizwheel at the steering bar to operate all shits and giggles and Adjustable windscreen... Then Covid Hit. Right amid the soaring pandemic, the garage came and delivered my GS, took good old Pumba with them... Meanwhile. I've done some domestic touring on the F850... It's pretty good. It does all very well... But it just lacks the oomph and the emotion of the previous UGS.
So last month, on the way back from my Zeeland trip (South Holland) I stopped at my dealer... and ordered the same UGS... (well, it's got golden rims this time, and a double exhaust like on the scrambler) I'm going back to smelling like a garage when I'm done riding. I'm going back to taking a hairpin turn in 'oh shit' 3rd. I'm going back to trembling when I'm at a red light. Back to listening when I should switch gears. Back to peering at the glass weekly to see if my oil runs low. But foremost: Back to throwing my leg over good old Pumba, my German Twin Boxer Warthog... any time I feel like it. Because it's just puts a smile on my face. That never happened with the F850... So I'm back. In August. 😎
I hear you. The smell is one of the things I missed most, along with the vibes at idle.

It's easy to get seduced by gadgetry when what really matters are the fundamental elements of a bike's character.

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
293 Posts
Well... I've ordered a '21 Nine T.

Spoked tubeless wheels (I would've preferred cast wheels but none were readily available), all electronic bells and whistles and a cradle for my SP Connect wireless charger.

Some modifications are planned, almost all of them being of a functional nature. Please do cover your eyes, as this Nine T will carry a top box... :)

Delivery should happen next week.
I would keep the RS as I find there is a time and place for both. When conditions are tough and challenging I prefer my 1250 gs, simply because of improved handling, more comfort than my Racer, more visible to other riders, etc. There are times when owning the gs is very satisfying. The ninet is still old school. You do the riding and it is satisfying. If possible I will even add a ninet Urban to my collection or maybe a 1000XR or.....................

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
1,310 Posts
I haven't experienced any remorse after selling my beloved VFR last fall. After 14 years and 97,000 miles I was sad to see it go, but I don't regret selling it. Only time will tell how I'll feel when the R9T is sold or traded in, probably years from now.

I'll add that I considered several different bikes last year, including a few I tested out, before deciding on the R9T Pure I bought. I sometimes wonder how happy I would have been with one of those other bikes. All I know for sure is none of them put a smile on my face during the test rides like the R9T did. ;)

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I enjoyed this thread as it confirms that I did the right thing. Purchased the R9T to keep my R1200RS company in my garage. They have different purposes that somehow compliment each other. Next to each other in the garage they are certainly different sized machines. The R9T is a dream to take out for a couple of hours on a warm evening whereas the R1200RS is a good looking tourer to eat miles and carry a useful load, including the occasional passenger. There is quite a lot of difference between the performance and riding style of the oil cooled and the oil/water cooled boxer engine and I love the quick shifter on the RS. They both have their place ......... for sure!!
The more back to basics simplicity of the R9T makes me smile and it is such a fine looking motorcycle.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I enjoyed this thread as it confirms that I did the right thing. Purchased the R9T to keep my R1200RS company in my garage. They have different purposes that somehow compliment each other. Next to each other in the garage they are certainly different sized machines. The R9T is a dream to take out for a couple of hours on a warm evening whereas the R1200RS is a good looking tourer to eat miles and carry a useful load, including the occasional passenger. There is quite a lot of difference between the performance and riding style of the oil cooled and the oil/water cooled boxer engine and I love the quick shifter on the RS. They both have their place ......... for sure!!
The more back to basics simplicity of the R9T makes me smile and it is such a fine looking motorcycle.
You're absolutely right. They make for a great two bike garage, I'm jealous :)

·
Registered
2021 R Nine T Classic
58 Posts
Has anyone here gone back to Nine T ownership after a comparable hiatus ?

Yea, I had a 2015 model for three years, but life got in the way and it went....
Fast forward 3 more years and I'm back, well sort of, the bike has turned up at the dealership, but they're waiting on a delivery from Nippy Normans, hope to take delivery of it next week, Can't wait to get back out riding again. Yes I did look at a few other bikes when I was looking, but i came back to what I liked best.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't know if this helps as with everyone else who has commented it's always personal, So I've owned six R1100's, a 1200GS, and probably fifty other bikes Jap, Italian and British, I almost fell out of love with bikes until the R9T came along and it reminded me what riding bike's is all about, you probably do need to tweek suspension and other bit's but the R9T makes you feel part of the ride and not a passenger I really think BMW got this one bang on, I get on and feel seventeen again, there's an R9T for every occasion and I fully intend to get another one,so that's just my sentimental take for what it's worth

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Don't know if this helps as with everyone else who has commented it's always personal, So I've owned six R1100's, a 1200GS, and probably fifty other bikes Jap, Italian and British, I almost fell out of love with bikes until the R9T came along and it reminded me what riding bike's is all about, you probably do need to tweek suspension and other bit's but the R9T makes you feel part of the ride and not a passenger I really think BMW got this one bang on, I get on and feel seventeen again, there's an R9T for every occasion and I fully intend to get another one,so that's just my sentimental take for what it's worth
Though I haven't had such a long riding path behind me, I've tested perhaps a dozen other bikes at this point and have yet to find another that so deliciously involves the rider in the entire process of riding.
Not the most comfortable nor maybe the most practical out of the box (though it can certainly be tailored to that end), and not the fastest or more exotic option either, but certainly a charming day-to-day companion that easily gets to one's heart.

As such companionship often goes however, its value is never as appreciated as when paths diverge.

It all makes me think that Moto-Guzzi was absolutely foolhardy to drop the Griso from its range.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hear you. The smell is one of the things I missed most, along with the vibes at idle.

It's easy to get seduced by gadgetry when what really matters are the fundamental elements of a bike's character.
And here it is :cool: finally returned the F850GS to the dealership and took my new Urban G/S home.
My god, have I enjoyed the first ride back home again...

And here it is 😍

I've installed my Quadlock, and may dealer installed the GPS. Bracket and risers are from UNIT Garage.

Now I still need to install the 2 little rings to attach my tailbag, while I'm waiting for the delivery of my
Aluminum Koboldcases.

Cheers 🥳

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
And here it is :cool: finally returned the F850GS to the dealership and took my new Urban G/S home.
My god, have I enjoyed the first ride back home again...

View attachment 145126

And here it is 😍

View attachment 145127

I've installed my Quadlock, and may dealer installed the GPS. Bracket and risers are from UNIT Garage.

View attachment 145128

View attachment 145129

Now I still need to install the 2 little rings to attach my tailbag, while I'm waiting for the delivery of my
Aluminum Koboldcases.

Cheers 🥳
Congrats ! That's a gorgeous steed... Looks like a beautiful dealership as well.

What are those kobold cases ? I've never heard of them, and a quick google search didn't bring any result.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congrats ! That's a gorgeous steed... Looks like a beautiful dealership as well.

What are those kobold cases ? I've never heard of them, and a quick google search didn't bring any result.
Here's the link to their website

I've ordered the scrambler-model: with the smaller case on the left.

I should be getting them in august. I'll post a pic as soon as they're installed :)

Cheers

21 - 40 of 45 Posts