BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from this absolutely stunning road in Austria - Großglockner.

Instead of investing a lot of time of trying to video this thing myself, I left it to the pros, and they did an amazing job... Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Yup - that's very nice piece of Alps.

Reactions: gristle

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wow! I wasn't familiar with that route and it's absolutely stunning - great video visuals. Sort of road you would ride and immediately turn around and repeat - just for the pure fun of it. Thank you for posting.

·
Registered
2014 Classic. Full Remus exhaust, Custom Paint, other bits
30 Posts
wow, an absolutely stunning road, and a video that does it justice.
Makes me question the logic of owning a naked bike... again.
thanks for posting!

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! I wasn't familiar with that route and it's absolutely stunning - great video visuals. Sort of road you would ride and immediately turn around and repeat - just for the pure fun of it. Thank you for posting.
... and that’s exactly what I did!!! Rinse and repeat. The High altitude adds some very nice temperatures, and even some leftover snow these days...

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
I just came back from this absolutely stunning road in Austria - Großglockner.

Instead of investing a lot of time of trying to video this thing myself, I left it to the pros, and they did an amazing job... Enjoy!
Absolutely breathtaking Norbert, thanks for the elevated heart beat and big smile on my face too .....Knowing you as I do ... how many times did you scrape the foot pegs taking all those wonderful curves as fast as you can ? Be well, Enjoy ! ...............Blitz

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
2,445 Posts
Wow @Norbi I just watched this video, and I have to say that you're a lucky man to have had the opportunity to ride this road. I never heard of Großglockner before, but now I'll never forget it.

It appears as though the road is in near perfect shape as well, I didn't see any cracks or heaves, and given the climate it must've been built extremely well, or is maintained rigorously.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow @Norbi I just watched this video, and I have to say that you're a lucky man to have had the opportunity to ride this road. I never heard of Großglockner before, but now I'll never forget it.

It appears as though the road is in near perfect shape as well, I didn't see any cracks or heaves, and given the climate it must've been built extremely well, or is maintained rigorously.

Thanks for sharing it with us.
Hey Ray, yes it is perfect indeed. The people who constructed it must have been bikers, for sure. The turns are a lot smoother than Stelvio. There’s a lot less traffic due to the fact that it’s a pay-for-play road which keeps the Dutch caravans out, and a lot of other drivers as well. Stelvio (Jeremy Clarksons favorite once) is a catastrophe during summer months, whereas Großglockner is relatively empty. Highly recommended, but also only snow-free from June-October! I’ve been to many great places on two wheels, but this one is special! Bucket list item! Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Absolutely breathtaking Norbert, thanks for the elevated heart beat and big smile on my face too .....Knowing you as I do ... how many times did you scrape the foot pegs taking all those wonderful curves as fast as you can ? Be well, Enjoy ! ...............Blitz
Hey Blitz, glad you enjoyed it. I wish y’all could experience this, it’s almost weird to be riding bikes during Corona, but the numbers are minuscule compared to the US, so life feels almost normal by now. But there are a lot less tourists on the roads, hotels and restaurants are almost empty, because most people stay at their home countries. I’ve heard that caravan demand is up 1500% and it looks as everybody is surrounding their home water holes only. Strange times...

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Hey Blitz, glad you enjoyed it. I wish y’all could experience this, it’s almost weird to be riding bikes during Corona, but the numbers are minuscule compared to the US, so life feels almost normal by now. But there are a lot less tourists on the roads, hotels and restaurants are almost empty, because most people stay at their home countries. I’ve heard that caravan demand is up 1500% and it looks as everybody is surrounding their home water holes only. Strange times...
Be careful my friend, but destiny awaits us, that ride for most anyone will be a once in a life time event. You are the sum-total of all your experiences and you just added a jewel to yours. I’m an old “Treck’ie” so ...Live Long and Prosper ... and RIDE Norbi, RIDE ! Thanks for the adventure, I felt every turn ... in fact I fell out of my bar stool twice. Amazing run.
Cheers Norbert ... We will meet again for that story, first hand. StayUpOn2 Mate ....Blitz

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,768 Posts
Thanks for sharing that wonderful video, norbi!

I can only dream about riding roads like that in Europe, for now anyway. Maybe someday. My only comfort is that amazing roads in Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee aren't too far away for me here in the US. Still, riding in the Alps would be extra special.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Thanks for sharing that wonderful video, norbi!

I can only dream about riding roads like that in Europe, for now anyway. Maybe someday. My only comfort is that amazing roads in Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee aren't too far away for me here in the US. Still, riding in the Alps would be extra special.
Ohhhh, Tim some of the most memorable moto trips I’ve done were in NC. The smokies are amazing twisties and vista’s that are heart stoppers. Some of the best the USA has and not near the oceans or the gulf. You have plenty of territory to explore. I agree that Europe is amazing but at my age it may as well be the moon. We probably have riders on this forum that have been there too .... ! Post you’re pictures R9T Astronauts ....You too Tim
Stay UpOn2 ....Blitz

Reactions: TimC

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hey @BlitzSchnell, check this one out: a fellow from Austin, TX who traveled the world a couple of years ago. This episode is here from the famous salt flats in Bolivia (where we’ll get most of our car-battery lithium from pretty soon, unfortunately) I’ll never forget riding on that surface.
Not the moon, but close to it. Gorgeous. Enjoy! I’ve checked, I don’t think he has been mentioned here in the forum. Travel, people, travel! It literally extends your horizon beyond belief!

·
Registered
107 Posts
My first time was on an Edelweiss Grand Alps tour (on a Ducati) and I returned last year on a rented R1250RT. As others mentioned, it’s a very expensive toll to ride so it’s not super busy.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
My first time was on an Edelweiss Grand Alps tour (on a Ducati) and I returned last year on a rented R1250RT. As others mentioned, it’s a very expensive toll to ride so it’s not super busy.
How did the RT go? I had one booked for an LA to NY ride this year in May until COVID crushed it. Still plan to do it at some stage but very disappointed as was really looking forward to trying the RT.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Ric O’chet , may I suggest to do this instead - with a GS type of bike.
LA to NY will bore you to tears. This (North-South, along the Rockies) is a much better direction of travel here in the US. There are a few great agencies, RawHyde being one of them, also RideADV, where you can book a group tour with support trucks etc.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts