BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently I had a trouble with dieing engine while running and hard restarting.
engine dieing while riding, hard restarting

Now the symptons are all gone and running very fine.
However, I got very suspicious that the cause of my trouble was that TPS wet inside. I disassembled and serviced it and wanted to share my experience.

This is the link of TPS service manual I referred to:
Repair of compact throttle-position sensor All BMW models, model-year 2004 onward

Above service manual describes how to disassemble and what to look for in good detail, so I will just write about my TPS.

This is when you disassemble the TPS from the throttle body. You can notice grey stuff on the mating surface of TPS. I presume it is assembly grease.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive design Automotive lighting

I disassembled the TPS as per service manual. The green O-ring and black rubber seal are the protection from water getting into TPS.
Audio equipment Gadget Font Auto part Circle

My brushes are shiny and clean.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

I found some white dust like particles on the rubber seal. I don't know what it is but it seems the white stuff managed to break the seal.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive design Automotive exterior

Ha! some trace of water
Camera accessory Machine Auto part Metal Circle

Not so sure but here, too.
Camera accessory Cameras & optics Gadget Material property Bicycle part

I dried it well and reassembled. I rode my bike few times and no symptons at all.
At this point, I became very convinced that it was the wet TPS. I washed my bike with high-pressure water before the first symptons and I rode in rain. I also washed my bike with high-pressure water before the second symptons.
The water must have got inside TPS and shorted the circuit and sent out wrong resistance values to ECU.
I checked the resistance value of carbon tracks and there was no sudden peak or drops. The circuit is so simple. The TPS should work well, as long as the carbon tracks and brushes on the white spindle are OK.

I re-disassemble the TPS, because I was pretty much convinced that it was the old rubber seal and maybe the O-ring that let water inside, so I had to reinforce the sealing somehow.

First, I cleaned the brushes and PCB surface with an electro contact cleaner and carefully dried with cotton swab.

Now, no water or dust should be inside the red line. (I forgot to take photos from this point)
Bicycle part Auto part Machine Metal Camera accessory

So I applied Klüber STABURAGS NBU 30 assembly grease on the black rubber seal carefully inside and out. Klüber STABURAGS NBU 30 is the grease you apply on shaft rubber boots. It is supposed to be good at water-proofing in even outdoor environment and can stand to some high temperature.
Line Bicycle part Circle Font Eyewear

I also applied the assembly grease on below red surfaces, too. Of course I cleaned the surface on throttle body first.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle brake

So far, I am experiencing no anything. My bike runs very fine.
I cannot be 100% sure but it seems that it was the TPS. Applying assembly grease on the seals may not be the solution. If water gets inside TPS again, I am planning to seal the TPS completely with high temperature resistance assembling silicon.

And below is possible substitue part numbers I found. Please double-check if they can be substituted before you purchase any.
I was told that some parts may not have the same resistance value as the original, so you have to reset the TPS and have the ECU learn the new TPS's resistance value (by resetting TPS).

BMW part description: Throttle Valve Potentiometer / Throttle Valve Switch
BMW Motorrad part#: 13 54 8 406 249 (old#: 13 54 7 696 412)
BMW vehicle part#: 13 63 1 721 456
HELLA part#: 6PX 008 476-111
TOPRAN part#: HP622 702
DELPHI part#: SS10562-12B1

If you see any wrong information, please let me know. Any opinions welcomed.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I went through the same process on my 2012 GS Adv, same engine as my R9T. Started cutting out at idle. I did some research and bought a cheap Chinese TPS that is used in a myriad of BMW cars from the earlier 2000's. That $25 copy worked perfectly and I ran it for a few weeks, in the meantime after doing some extensive googling I opened up the old TPS and ever so gently cleaned it's internals with cotton wool and solvent, re-assemble with vaseline on O ring etc, re-fitted the now cleaned old TPS, 3 twists of the throttle to reset and bike ran perfectly with it ever since. I keep the cheap chines one under the seat for a spare. I must add that since that little adventure over a year ago I have bought two more cheap TPS's on eBay and both were duds. My research showed me other riders have had success with the Hella unit posted above by Mr Orangebler, and that is Hella p# 6PX008476-111, I will be ordering one of these soon and keep as a handy spare, they are very small and easy to stow in the bike. On the topic of water ingress into parts of the bike, again prefer to the liberal use of aerosol silicone spray lube on areas such as this after the bike has been washed and dried, heads off a lot of potential problems. Excellent write up by Mr Orangebler, refreshing to see meaningful useful tech info on this forum as opposed to posts about loud exhausts and pretty bling!(y):cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went through the same process on my 2012 GS Adv, same engine as my R9T. Started cutting out at idle. I did some research and bought a cheap Chinese TPS that is used in a myriad of BMW cars from the earlier 2000's. That $25 copy worked perfectly and I ran it for a few weeks, in the meantime after doing some extensive googling I opened up the old TPS and ever so gently cleaned it's internals with cotton wool and solvent, re-assemble with vaseline on O ring etc, re-fitted the now cleaned old TPS, 3 twists of the throttle to reset and bike ran perfectly with it ever since. I keep the cheap chines one under the seat for a spare. I must add that since that little adventure over a year ago I have bought two more cheap TPS's on eBay and both were duds. My research showed me other riders have had success with the Hella unit posted above by Mr Orangebler, and that is Hella p# 6PX008476-111, I will be ordering one of these soon and keep as a handy spare, they are very small and easy to stow in the bike. On the topic of water ingress into parts of the bike, again prefer to the liberal use of aerosol silicone spray lube on areas such as this after the bike has been washed and dried, heads off a lot of potential problems. Excellent write up by Mr Orangebler, refreshing to see meaningful useful tech info on this forum as opposed to posts about loud exhausts and pretty bling!(y):cool:
Thank you for sharing your experience. What you are doing is exactly what I am going to do. I'm going to buy one of the substitutes and keep it with the bike for a handy spare for me and friend riders. Since you have already done some research and found Hella is a good substitute, I should buy that one, too. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts