BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 BMW RnineT Racer
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheel Tire Cloud Car Sky

First of all, I want to thank all forum members for sharing tips and suggestions on the R9T; and especially helping me spend thousands more on my bike than I ever imagined I would.

My wife and I are retired, and we (now) live in our motor home full time: traveling North America.

I have my 2017 RNT Racer that travels with us, and look for the best roads to ride through out N. America.

My riding Style is different than some, so I will outline what I look for:
-Curves, canyons, good road surface (clean, no/few chuckholes, frost heave, tar snakes, patching), curves, no interstates, curves…
I would consider myself a fairly aggressive rider, and have ridden for 50-years and over 200,000 miles.
I do not “tour” on this motorcycle. Harley riders are usually the “bane of my existence”, and I always pass ‘em.

Some of my favorite roads to date: Malibu canyons, CA., HWY 3 and 36 in N. CA. Mt. Hamilton (San Jose), The Santa Cruz Mountains, Sequoia National Park (S. Entrance) and Sequoia National Monument to Hwy. 395 (J41). Appalachian mountains from Georgia to the Virginias (anything that includes the word “Devil” in it, “most dangerous roads…”, etc.

Again, curves, corners, good road surface, few cars.

So, my reason for posting: if you have spectacular roads to share in N.A. please do.

Best to all.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,057 Posts
Sounds like you're living the dream. Kudos! :)

Some obvious ones in the east -- Tail of the Dragon, the Back of the Dragon, and The Snake. NC 28 (aka "Moonshiner 28") from Franklin, NC to Deal's Gap is excellent, and parts were recently repaved. (There are some tar snakes and rougher pavement in some sections though.) Cherohala Skyway is in the same area. Not really twisty but a fun road with good views. It's a good road if you want to ride fast sweepers.

Also of course there's the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway, but neither is a road where you can go very fast without fear of earning an "award" from a park ranger.

I'm guessing you've ridden most or all of those already.

US 250 from the WV border to West Agusta, VA is great, as are parts of US 250 in WV.

·
Registered
2022 R Nine T
247 Posts
I have never seen a rig like you have here in Europe. Probably, because of its size it would get stuck on our smaller roads. As you are retired you are not in a hurry to get anywhere, just out of interest how long do you stay in one place before you move on?

·
Registered
2017 BMW RnineT Racer
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To elaborate: I will try to “pay it forward” and do a better job of posting to the forum in the future.

With that in mind: we are currently in Yellowstone National Park.
My experience with National Parks (and I have visited most of them), is they are too crowded (lots of cars, all filled with tourists), and road conditions can be poor.

That said, Yellowstone is magnificent!

If you have never been, the geysers, wildlife and other natural phenomenon are worth the trip (This is my third visit).
However, Yellowstone attracts close to 5-Million visitors each year. Traffic jams are not unusual, tourists stop in the middle of the road to view squirrels, there are too many “Harley Herds”, and roads are usually in a state of disrepair (most of the park is at 8,000 feet elevation).

But, (as of this writing: recognizing road conditions change), there are 2-stretches of road within the park that are worth riding.
1) Canyon village to Tower Roosevelt (NE quadrant): very good chip sealed roads from Canyon Village to Mount Washburn; where the road surface changes to fresh blacktop. Excellent road surface, lots of 25-35 mph curves, clean, no tar snakes, frost heave, etc. This is also one of the less traveled roads in Y.S.
Counter clockwise from Tower Roosevelt the road quality diminishes and tourists abound.
2) Fishing Bridge to the east entrance: This section of road was great(in fact I turned around when I was done and rode it again). Very good chip sealed road surface, lots of 25-35 mph curves; clean, no tar snakes, frost heave, etc. You also go from 6,500 feet to 8,500 feet and then back down to 7,000 feet elevation.

·
Registered
2017 BMW RnineT Racer
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you're living the dream. Kudos! :)

Some obvious ones in the east -- Tail of the Dragon, the Back of the Dragon, and The Snake. NC 28 (aka "Moonshiner 28") from Franklin, NC to Deal's Gap is excellent, and parts were recently repaved. (There are some tar snakes and rougher pavement in some sections though.) Cherohala Skyway is in the same area. Not really twisty but a fun road with good views. It's a good road if you want to ride fast sweepers.

Also of course there's the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway, but neither is a road where you can go very fast without fear of earning an "award" from a park ranger.

I'm guessing you've ridden most or all of those already.

US 250 from the WV border to West Agusta, VA is great, as are parts of US 250 in WV.
Hi, Tim:

Thanks for the reply.
Yep, I have ridden them all, except for maybe the roads in the Virginia’s.
These are definitely repeaters! Some of the best roads in NA, and I will be back.
I was fortunate to be able to ride all of the roads you have mentioned with my 24 y/o son last year. We enjoyed ourselves so much we spent 2- months in this area riding.

·
Registered
2017 BMW RnineT Racer
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have never seen a rig like you have here in Europe. Probably, because of its size it would get stuck on our smaller roads. As you are retired you are not in a hurry to get anywhere, just out of interest how long do you stay in one place before you move on?
GT Martin:
I suspect you are correct. Roads in NA are definitely larger than some of the roads in Europe I have been on; and this rig is 60’ long with the dolly and car attached. It can really limit where you go.
We spent 2- months in Baja, MX. a few years ago (with a truck/trailer combo that was much smaller). I do not think I would take this rig down there because their roads are often only 10’ wide. (But, I might do it anyway…).

RE: how long do we stay: depends on the area and what there is to do. We are in Yellowstone for 8-days (lots of hiking and tourist attraction, as well as a good day of motorcycle riding). There are areas in CA (Aguanga/Temecula area where we spend a month). But we sometimes only stay a night if we are traveling from point a to b. So, that is an impossible question to answer. I can tell you though, the older we get the longer we stay in each location. Especially if there are good roads to ride.

·
Registered
515 Posts
So glad you mentioned CA36. It's a hidden gem. Come on up to the Seattle area and take a loop around Mt. Rainier, don't forget to check out Yakima canyon on your way back to i90.

·
Registered
2017 BMW RnineT Racer
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Vectorbug: Yep, born & raised in Seattle. You are right, the Mount Rainier loop(s) are very good.
I think I have done the Yakima canyon a few times (hwy 821 to Ellensburg?). In fact, talked my way out of a ticket on that road in 2019.

Some other worthy WA roads:
South:
-Mabton to Goldendale (Glade rd, Goldendale hwy.).
Goldendale to Glenwood (off) hwy 142

Northeast:
-McNeil Canyon road (takes off from Bebe bridge, Columbia River.) This is a relatively short road (that goes no where you want to be) but it is spectacular for 10-20 miles.
-I’m sure you have ridden the N.Cascade road (hwy 20); which is very nice from Newhalem to Mazama.
Before you get there, the Baker lake road to Concrete (Via Burpee Hill rd) Is great.
South of there (other side of the Skagit) is the Old Day Creek road, from Hwy 9 to the South Skagit hwy.

Continuing east on hwy 20: Twisp to Okanogan has a nice incline (And Twisp to Sun Mountain Lodge is great). Then, the section of hwy 20 from Republic, over Sherman Pass to the Columbia River is wonderful!
-Nespelem, through the Colville reservation (Cache creek rd) to the Columbia River is an incredible road.
-(same area): Bridge creek rd: eastward towards the Columbia/Inchelium.

Northwest:
Not really a lot of “good roads” here. But,
-Chuckanut drive and Edison to Bayview.
-Conway to LaConner. Via Fir Island: as you cross the Skagit River out of Conway, take an immediate right and follow the dike all the way around Fir island to the next bridge over the Skagit. Lots of corners, curves, good chip seal, and pissed off farmers ( if you go too fast).

-Mount Baker road is thrilling from Glacier to the ski area (although pavement is a little sketchy).
-Mosquito lake road is good, but there is a lot of frost heave.
-Reese Hill road(547) out of Sumas to South Pass rd and Silver Lake road to Maple Falls is fun.
Also, the South Pass road from Nooksack to 547 is good.

I think these are some of the best roads I have found in WA, and some of these are off the beaten path.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Almost anywhere in Colorado west of I25. If you want to get high you can ride up Pikes Peak and Mt Evens. Both are over 14k feet. The most spectacularly beautiful part of the state is the south west corner. Take the Million Dollar highway from Ouray south through Silverton and down into Durango. While you are in Durango, take the train back up to Silverton.
Anywhere in the mountains are great roads and great scenery.

·
Registered
2017 BMW R nineT Racer S
19 Posts
View attachment 156796
First of all, I want to thank all forum members for sharing tips and suggestions on the R9T; and especially helping me spend thousands more on my bike than I ever imagined I would.

My wife and I are retired, and we (now) live in our motor home full time: traveling North America.

I have my 2017 RNT Racer that travels with us, and look for the best roads to ride through out N. America.

My riding Style is different than some, so I will outline what I look for:
-Curves, canyons, good road surface (clean, no/few chuckholes, frost heave, tar snakes, patching), curves, no interstates, curves…
I would consider myself a fairly aggressive rider, and have ridden for 50-years and over 200,000 miles.
I do not “tour” on this motorcycle. Harley riders are usually the “bane of my existence”, and I always pass ‘em.

Some of my favorite roads to date: Malibu canyons, CA., HWY 3 and 36 in N. CA., Appalachian mountains from Georgia to the Virginias (anything that includes the word “Devil” in it, “most dangerous roads…”, etc.

Again, curves, corners, good road surface, few cars.

So, my reason for posting: if you have spectacular roads to share in N.A. please do.

Best to all.
I can’t help your quest as I’m from the UK 🇬🇧 but I’m always interested to know what after market parts have been fitted, including luggage, especially as your bike is a Racer.

·
Registered
2017 BMW RnineT Racer
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Almost anywhere in Colorado west of I25. If you want to get high you can ride up Pikes Peak and Mt Evens. Both are over 14k feet. The most spectacularly beautiful part of the state is the south west corner. Take the Million Dollar highway from Ouray south through Silverton and down into Durango. While you are in Durango, take the train back up to Silverton.
Anywhere in the mountains are great roads and great scenery.
BHF: Thanks very much for the suggestions:
After riding Rocky Mountain National Park, we are heading to Co. Springs for a few days so I can ride Pikes Peak (always has been on the radar). Not sure Mt, Evans will be done this time since I just learned about that ride last week.
I have done the Million Dollar hwy and it was beautiful!
Do you know of anything West of the greater Denver area and North of Hwy 50 that I should ride?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2017 BMW RnineT Racer
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I can’t help your quest as I’m from the UK 🇬🇧 but I’m always interested to know what after market parts have been fitted, including luggage, especially as your bike is a Racer.
Well...this may be a long list.
I'll just try to regurgitate from memory, and if you want more info. on anything specific, let me know.
Aesthetics: Dedalius(sp?) Tidy tail, Rear fender (sort of), smoked screen, valve cover protectors.
Suspension: Ohlins: rear, front springs (NIX22), steering dampener.
Ergonomics: San Jose BMW handlebars + triple clamp (I consider this a must for the Racer). Option 719 Rear-sets (huge improvement. Thank you Island Falconer). Bar end mirrors.
Luggage: SW Motech bags (13 LTR + 9 LTR) and Motech "quick release" tank bag (see below).
Tom-Tom GPS, Quadlock mount for I-phone.
Performance: Akropovik headers (huge improvement).
I am also having a Bren Tune (ECU tweaking) installed later this month along with some Weisertech front indicator/driving lights.
Deletions: Flapper valve, charcoal canister, Cat's.

I'm sure there is more, but that's all I can think of today.

Sky Tire Cloud Wheel Fuel tank

·
Registered
35 Posts
BHF: Thanks very much for the suggestions:
After riding Rocky Mountain National Park, we are heading to Co. Springs for a few days so I can ride Pikes Peak (always has been on the radar). Not sure Mt, Evans will be done this time since I just learned about that ride last week.
I have done the Million Dollar hwy and it was beautiful!
Do you know of anything West of the greater Denver area and North of Hwy 50 that I should ride?
Thanks again!
I had planned on doing this loop today but things came up and I’ll try again next week.
Colorado Springs to Deckers to Pine to Georgetown to Breckinridge to Guffy to Cripple Creek to home. 5 passes. Lots of twisties. 300ish miles.
Map World Atlas Parallel

·
Registered
147 Posts
Any mountain road in CA. Hwy 1 from SF all the way to avenue of the giants is spectacular. You get the Mendocino Coast and the climb up to Leggett and then the Redwoods. Souther CA is Palomar Mountain. The northern CA roads are great too and much more rugged and wild feeling.

NW Arkansas Ozark mountains are great. Staying in the town of Eureka Springs is awesome. AR123 and AR341 Push Mountain road are great twisties.

All of Western NC and down in the GA are great too as many have said.

Jumping back west to WY...Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph are both great....especially the view of pilot peak traveling NW on the Chief Joseph...which always reminds me of the Matterhorn ride at Disney world.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,043 Posts
Are you aware of these: Motorcycle Maps – Butler Motorcycle Maps
They are available online as well, so you can filter according to their „beauty-ranking“. Should cover your quest wherever you are. Have fun!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd love to vouch for the maritime provinces here in Canuckistan, but your criteria is not satisfied here.

There are fantastic roads here, and I love this end of the country dearly for it, but I do find I use all the suspension travel on my UGS more often than not.

·
Registered
2017 BMW R nineT Racer S
19 Posts
Well...this may be a long list.
I'll just try to regurgitate from memory, and if you want more info. on anything specific, let me know.
Aesthetics: Dedalius(sp?) Tidy tail, Rear fender (sort of), smoked screen, valve cover protectors.
Suspension: Ohlins: rear, front springs (NIX22), steering dampener.
Ergonomics: San Jose BMW handlebars + triple clamp (I consider this a must for the Racer). Option 719 Rear-sets (huge improvement. Thank you Island Falconer). Bar end mirrors.
Luggage: SW Motech bags (13 LTR + 9 LTR) and Motech "quick release" tank bag (see below).
Tom-Tom GPS, Quadlock mount for I-phone.
Performance: Akropovik headers (huge improvement).
I am also having a Bren Tune (ECU tweaking) installed later this month along with some Weisertech front indicator/driving lights.
Deletions: Flapper valve, charcoal canister, Cat's.

I'm sure there is more, but that's all I can think of today.

View attachment 156807
Thanks very much!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts