BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear tyre is due replacement soo, but i have plenty of life left in the front. Looking around on the internet i see some suggestion that front and rear tyres should match, others just say to stick with the same brand and some say any similarly spec'd tyre should be fine. So i currently have Metzeler Z8's on the bike, do i need to replace with another Z8, or will i be able to get away with putting a Metzeler Roadtec 01 or Michelin PR4 on?

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
My rear tyre is due replacement soo, but i have plenty of life left in the front. Looking around on the internet i see some suggestion that front and rear tyres should match, others just say to stick with the same brand and some say any similarly spec'd tyre should be fine. So i currently have Metzeler Z8's on the bike, do i need to replace with another Z8, or will i be able to get away with putting a Metzeler Roadtec 01 or Michelin PR4 on?
Hi Jelly,

No the tires do not have to match.

I've ridden the Trans-America-Trail (TAT) from East to West, and during those two weeks learned tons from other lifelong Adventure/Dual-Sport riders:

Most ran the following combo:

FRONT: Continental TKC80

REAR: Heidanu K60 Scout

Front TKC80 provides top notch grip for adventure & dual-sport riding and any gravel/mud/dirt/sand/road surface

Rear K60 Scout provides long tread-life, is quiet, and you get great adventure & dual-sport capability with great all around handling & grip.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jelly,

No the tires do not have to match.

I've ridden the Trans-America-Trail (TAT) from East to West, and during those two weeks learned tons from other lifelong Adventure/Dual-Sport riders:

Most ran the following combo:

FRONT: Continental TKC80

REAR: Heidanu K60 Scout

Front TKC80 provides top notch grip for adventure & dual-sport riding and any gravel/mud/dirt/sand/road surface

Rear K60 Scout provides long tread-life, is quiet, and you get great adventure & dual-sport capability with great all around handling & grip.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just curious, how many miles did you get from the rear Z8?
I'm replacing mine at 11,000 miles.
In the center of the tire in one spot I can start to see the belt.
Actually getting it replaced tomorrow.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just curious, how many miles did you get from the rear Z8?
I'm replacing mine at 11,000 miles.
In the center of the tire in one spot I can start to see the belt.
Actually getting it replaced tomorrow.
I'm at just about 8k miles on my UGS with OEM Z8's and the rear will be done by the end of summer if not sooner. Theres no way I'd make it to 11k. Roads are average here, but I tend to do spirited launches.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Jellyhead,
Where possible I like to use a softer tyre on the front, for example I have a Dunlop Roadsmart on the back and a Dunlop Sportsmart on the front. This mix is possible with other tyre makes too, with some research. It makes for a nice mix of longer life on the rear and a bit more grip on the front and they compliment each other well.
Having said that, I don't have an RNineT yet! (hopefully next week).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Jellyhead,
Where possible I like to use a softer tyre on the front, for example I have a Dunlop Roadsmart on the back and a Dunlop Sportsmart on the front. This mix is possible with other tyre makes too, with some research. It makes for a nice mix of longer life on the rear and a bit more grip on the front and they compliment each other well.
Having said that, I don't have an RNineT yet! (hopefully next week).
That makes a lot of sense, thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts