BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Yamaha Fazer
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All.

Living in Singapore, Motorbikes (and cars) have a complicated system of being taxed up to 100%, meaning even a used bike cost easily significantly more than a new one elsewhere around the world.

Long story short: I came across a 2016 model with aluminum tank, first registered in 2018 (that can happen in Singapore) and only ran 2k km up to today (also not unusual in a city state with rich people having those in their garages and only ride them for an hour on the weekend).

Whats the risk here in buying this vs a (twice as expensive) new 2021 model:
a) I am concerned about the low mileage (test rides are not common in Singapore, as well as taking the bike to the dealer for a pre-purchase check-up)
b) I don't really know what features I would miss on the 2016 vs the 2021: So far I gathered non adjustable suspension on the rear and LED lights - what else that's important? Suspension, ride-modes, etc?

I have not ridden a Scrambler or BMW before, I had mostly Yamaha's (XJ600, Fazer) until early this year :)

Thanks all for the feedback.
tom

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
656 Posts
1.) I’d find out first how long you still have manufacturers warranty. Different countries have different regulations. If it started with the day of its first registration, you might still be covered, which would give you piece of mind. If anything happens, BMW will pay for it.
2.) I bought my 2016 12 months ago with only 200 miles on the clock. No issues whatsoever, I’m a very happy camper. It was a great deal.
3.) The differences between the model years are debatable, see one of the latest threads
here on this forum. In my opinion it comes down to marginal little things, and if you’d do a “blind testing” (no, I did NOT say, do that!!!) people probably wouldn’t notice the differences. Some things are better, some are worse.
4.) Are you able to judge the previous owner - do you trust in his matureness to not have done wheelies all day long in Singapore, especially during the break-in period? Usually people won’t over-stress the engine, unless they are a complete moron. Try to find out, asking the right (tricky) questions. If he keeps raving about its acceleration, top-speed and drag-racing from red lights, I’d stay away from that specific bike. (How do the tires look? Are they the original ones, check the production date. If they are, and look ok, chances are the dude was reasonable) How’s the general condition - if it’s spotless, that’s a great sign. Age of the battery (visible on the right side) - if its still the original, that might be an item needing replacement at some time. On the other side, if it is, and it still works, that would be a sign that the previous owner took good care and had it on a charger most of the time. What services were done and when - prepare at least for the cost of the usual yearly fluid changes (oil, brakes) if the last service is a while ago.
5.) Half price is really hard to beat - it leaves you plenty of room to “invest” / splurge in the customization, suspension always being one of the first that come to mind.
Good luck! See you around here soon!

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,662 Posts
Hi, Tom. @Norbi made some great points above, but I'll add a few thoughts here.

2,000 km in about three years (2018 to 2021) isn't much, so it sounds like the 2016 motorcycle sat a lot. That's not good for any vehicle. That being said, hopefully it was ridden regularly, even for short distances, and then stored properly when sitting for weeks or months.

If you can't take it for a test ride yourself, ask the seller to start the bike cold and let it warm up. Check the sound, check for leaking fluids, shifter action, clutch and brake lever travel, etc. Unless it's been done recently, all the fluids will likely need to be changed, and if the original tires are still on the bike plan on buying a new set immediately. I have no idea what the situation is, but you could even ask the seller or shop to demo the bike for you. Just stand and watch and listen as the bike pulls away and then comes back.

Also, if the tires, fluids, and battery do need to replaced, use that as a bargaining chip in your negotiations.

There are some nice upgrades from the 2016 bikes, but the 2021 is more similar to the 2016 than it is different, if you understand what I mean. The new 2021 Euro 5 compliant bikes have some slight changes to the engine, but it's still an air/oil-cooled engine and the bike overall will ride very much like the older ones. If the 2016 looks good and runs well, you can probably save a lot of money in both the purchase price and taxes to pay for any needed maintenance, tires, and then maybe some nice modifications to the bike (if you so desire).

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out. (y)

·
Registered
Yamaha Fazer
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all for the opinions. Does the 2016 model had ASC next to ABS, or was that only available in later models?
In this thread it appears like the 2016 model does not have it? link

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Scrambler 2021
66 Posts
As a 2021 owner, I'd say go with the 2016 if it's half the price. I know it's pretty pricy to own motor vehicles in Singapore, so the savings could easily be converted to upgrades. You don't need heated grips, probably don't care about cruise control, so there isn't much besides headlight and USB port (well Euro 5, not sure if that matters in Singapore), which are both very cheap compared to paying double.

Did the owner provide you maintenance records and perhaps list of their own upgrades? This could probably give you a better apples-to-apples comparison, but at the prices, at 2,000 km, I think it's a good deal if properly maintained.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All.

Living in Singapore, Motorbikes (and cars) have a complicated system of being taxed up to 100%, meaning even a used bike cost easily significantly more than a new one elsewhere around the world.

Long story short: I came across a 2016 model with aluminum tank, first registered in 2018 (that can happen in Singapore) and only ran 2k km up to today (also not unusual in a city state with rich people having those in their garages and only ride them for an hour on the weekend).

Whats the risk here in buying this vs a (twice as expensive) new 2021 model:
a) I am concerned about the low mileage (test rides are not common in Singapore, as well as taking the bike to the dealer for a pre-purchase check-up)
b) I don't really know what features I would miss on the 2016 vs the 2021: So far I gathered non adjustable suspension on the rear and LED lights - what else that's important? Suspension, ride-modes, etc?

I have not ridden a Scrambler or BMW before, I had mostly Yamaha's (XJ600, Fazer) until early this year :)

Thanks all for the feedback.
tom
Tom, I see this thread is 6 Months on. What did you end up buying? I’m also in Singapore and I’m wondering the same as you. I’m leaning towards getting the first gen 9Ts or the first gen scrambler. Hope to get some wisdom from what you learned :)

·
Registered
Yamaha Fazer
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tom, I see this thread is 6 Months on. What did you end up buying? I’m also in Singapore and I’m wondering the same as you. I’m leaning towards getting the first gen 9Ts or the first gen scrambler. Hope to get some wisdom from what you learned :)
Hi,

I decided for a new model from 2021: 5 years warranty, free COE, and the dealer of the used machine even went up in price instead of trying to negotiate. All in all not much of a difference to the new bike. Happy with it, and did lots of customization already.

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
327 Posts
Hi,

I decided for a new model from 2021: 5 years warranty, free COE, and the dealer of the used machine even went up in price instead of trying to negotiate. All in all not much of a difference to the new bike. Happy with it, and did lots of customization already.
Sensible decision in the circumstances, the fact that you posted this question indicate already that you were uncomfortable with buying the 2016. I would rather pay extra and have a warranty and know how the bike was driven from the beginning. Plus working on any bike is super expensive and very quickly repair cost is more than the saving. Enjoy your purchase.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts