BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago i bought a Urban G/S (2018)..

Did a fair few mods but the only thing that annoys me is the following:

I am an average height rider; i measure in at 1.84 metres tall and weigh around 70kg (not very heavy)

When i come across a road looking like this..

Or any other bumpy road..

I get the feeling:

How can i make my Urban a plusher ride? im not a sporty rider.. i just dont want my eggs to be scrambled after every ride.. (it's also not a scrambler after all :whistle:)

I know there's allot of suspension options.. but what would be the right one for me?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it just you even though this forum is packed full of posts about how bad the suspension is?
I do read allot about bad suspension.. but i am wondering or it's not my weight being too light.
I can imagine if you are heavier the stock suspension serves u better.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
807 Posts
It's not just you. I think at either end - very light rider or very heavy rider - the stock suspension's limitations show themselves much more than for the average rider.

I'm a big guy, much heavier than the average rider. After increasing the preload last fall, my 2020 Pure's stock suspension is adequate around town, but it's not good on rough roads. And over any bump in the pavement at speed, it feel like the bike is trying to buck me off it. It feels much like how it looks inside that car in the gif above. Since before I even bought this bike late last summer I've been prepared to spend some money upgrading the suspension, and will decide very soon what to buy.

My only advice, and this is only after reading through some threads on this, is to avoid Ohlins. Fantastic equipment, but most people say they ride harsh, and it sounds like you're after a bit more compliant ride.

One other thought: I'd check into progressive springs for the fork. I really don't know if that's the answer, but it's worth researching in my opinion.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am already looking into M-Shocks or Hyperpro suspension (local Dutch Company).

I had Hyperpro on my NC750X.. it improved the handling of the bike night and day.

Looking into Hyperpro for the R nine T aswell; a streetbox would cost 600 euro's (Ex mounting)

But also would not shy away from spending double this amount for an even better suspension set. This bike is a keeper.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
481 Posts
My only advice, and this is only after reading through some threads on this, is to avoid Ohlins. Fantastic equipment, but most people say they ride harsh, and it sounds like you're after a bit more compliant ride.
Ohlins is racing suspension at its core. I wouldn’t necessarily call it harsh, but it isn‘t trying to be plush. There are certainly fully adjustable models that can be adjusted all the way to plush for around town then to sporty for canyons and such, but that takes a lot of learning and tinkering to figure out for a basic rider.

I think you hit the nail on the head though that the complaints come from both ends of the spectrum. The guys that really want super sport suspension for lighter riders complain. So do the guys that want plush stuff to cruise around town. BMW gave us roadster suspension that tries to lean a bit more toward joyride. For me it is more than sufficient but people come into this bike with expectations all over the chart I think and common knowledge and terms for suspension don’t often provide enough information to explain what exactly people are unhappy with.

in the end I think the smart route is always to call a shop or brand and attempt to explain what you are after so they can set it up rather than blind buying off an online page.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still do truly enjoy the bike every second.. i also testrode the normal R nine T which had way better suspension.
In the end i went for the urban g/s because of the higher / upright seating position and offroad looks.

Will keep this thread updated on my suspension option search.. (if it is allowed to stay like this by the mods).
Also will try to reach out to different brands/manufacturers and ask what they can offer for what prices etc.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
even though it's been advised against, i have always put ohlins on every bike i've ever had that didn't come with ohlins -- even my sportster 48. it's the best you'll get and fully adjustable. unit garage sells a high kit for the urban that seems to fit the bill exactly, imo.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ohlins on my bike, with the set-up tuned specifically for my size and ride style - definitely an improvement over stock, not at all harsh and it holds the road.
Just the Ohlins will not have given me this ride, it is the combination of Ohlins and the suspension tune by a shop specialized in the craft.

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
324 Posts
I’ve followed most of the inputs here, with the stock Urban GS unfortunately you have not too many dials to tinker with. One big reason why they are priced a bit lower. My “classic” has the Wilbers in the front, fully adjustable, the rear is stock. I’ve learned a lot from Dave Moss’s website, it was certainly worth subscribing to his service (full access to all videos and articles) to be able to understand and adjust enough on my bike to be happy with it now. I certainly wasn’t before. But then, there are a lot of folks who state that “this is the best mod ever/why haven’t I done this before” If I were in your weight class (which is part of your problem in this suspension case, but otherwise congrats!), I’d probably try to find people in your neighborhood who have done the upgrades, whatever brand it is. (But make sure they are the same skinny as you!) Wilbers has a reputation to be not as track-oriented, I’m sure the Touratech or Wunderlich guys can also give you some good advice (and maybe even a test-ride). Make some calls, they’re both not far away from you;-)

·
Registered
178 Posts
No it's not you. BMW factory went low budget on the R9T suspension with a shock that is too stiff and forks springs that are too soft. I went with the Hyperpro rear shock and fork springs kit, made a huge improvement in the ride and feels more planted in the corners. I agree the R9T is a keeper and is even better when the suspension is sorted out.

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
212 Posts
The standard suspension is usually for 80kg riders. The chances are that the set-up is way to hard for you. I am fortunate to know a motocross rider that helped me set up the suspension, played with tyre pressure and tyre size and it worked on my Racer. It is ok. Before spending a lot of money first get it set up and maybe meet up with riders who changed suspension. For me not worth the money. I do yoga and pilates. It helps me save a bit of money.😁

·
Registered
649 Posts
Let’s not mix our models too much when it comes to the forks. The springs in the Urban and Scrambler are different from those in the Racer and Pure. And, of course, the ‘classic’ has its entirely different fork.

I’m just shy of 200 lbs (90 kg). I found the front fork on my Urban to be quite stiff. Racetech emulators made a significant positive difference. I am still going to replace the springs with something lighter.

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
212 Posts
Let’s not mix our models too much when it comes to the forks. The springs in the Urban and Scrambler are different from those in the Racer and Pure. And, of course, the ‘classic’ has its entirely different fork.

I’m just shy of 200 lbs (90 kg). I found the front fork on my Urban to be quite stiff. Racetech emulators made a significant positive difference. I am still going to replace the springs with something lighter.
That is why I identified the model. Having said that, I was not aware of difference. I am aware that suspension not great. After setting it up for myself weighing in at (105 kg) I was satisfied enough. I played around with suspension on mountain bike, problem is that bicycle suspension not designed for anybody heavier than 100kg. Still learned a few lessons and one is that it is often easier and cheaper to shop around for bike with the suspension you like. Often you are happy with a bike, try and improve a suspension and not get what you were looking for but then you are stuck with it. Suspension is also personal. I can live with the unpredictable Racer suspension. I find the 1250 GSA to plush. The Africa twin not as solid on tar road and as planted as GS, but more fun on dirt, nothing beats KTM on dirt, etc. Twiddle the suspension if no joy play bit and give us some feedback. There are many opinions and lots of suggestion, see what works for you. Keep us posted that is how we learn.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I decided the suspension on my Pure was a little, er,rough, so went down the Hyperpro route.

So far just the front springs fitted and agreat improvement.

I am already looking into M-Shocks or Hyperpro suspension (local Dutch Company).

I had Hyperpro on my NC750X.. it improved the handling of the bike night and day.

Looking into Hyperpro for the R nine T aswell; a streetbox would cost 600 euro's (Ex mounting)

But also would not shy away from spending double this amount for an even better suspension set. This bike is a keeper.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking at the comments i got an idea for a small experiment.

I am quite lightweight compared to other riders (looking at the different comments). I can put weights in my jacket , backpack and in my saddlebag.. (and aim for a total of +25kg of weight) and then see how the bike handles.

I'd almost say i try eating way more food for a month, but fast metabolism does not help.
(Anything that goes in gets burned while i am sitting doing nothing.. almost like how fast our engines burn through euro98 :oops:)

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Chris, in the long run – I've been experimenting with adjusting what the Scrambler offers as well as tire pressures – I came to believe there's no way around upgrading components front and rear. Not worth it if one changes bikes often, totally however when you're like me and simply keep it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a Turban, I knew before I bought it that the suspension was bad, after one ride I learned that it wasn't bad but outright wrong! It was dangerous on Australian roads. Have modded suspension on a number of bikes over the years and currently have 3 BMW boxers all with modded suspension, Ohlins, Wilbers and Andreani spread over them. If I was going through the process again I would put an Ohlins Nix cartridge/spring in the forks and basic Ohlins or Wilbers in the rear. I am surprised that at this point in time you are surprised at how bad the suspension is! Any forum discussing the R9T is pretty full of the suspension topic. Once you change to real suspension at each end you will really enjoy your bike.:cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am a short lightweight rider (5'4" - 69kg) and I adjusted the rear suspension sag on my Scrambler which improved it no end for me. If I later decide to upgrade the suspension, it will be for a new Nitron rear shock.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts