BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I wait for my Ohlins shock to get back from service and I have the rear end of my 9T tore down to replace dry rotted swing arm boots and to check all of my shaft splines, I got curious and jumped on the BMW web site to see what the latest and greatest stuff was. Am I really seeing that the new 9T's have cruise control and all of the other new tech offered on the rest of the BMW line up? WTF?

· Premium Member
3,418 Posts
As I wait for my Ohlins shock to get back from service and I have the rear end of my 9T tore down to replace dry rotted swing arm boots and to check all of my shaft splines, I got curious and jumped on the BMW web site to see what the latest and greatest stuff was. Am I really seeing that the new 9T's have cruise control and all of the other new tech offered on the rest of the BMW line up? WTF?
It’s the market Rotowrench. Hight tech is hip. New generation of buyers. Large expendable Incomes. Good taste in motorcycles AND it’s stoked with high tech stuff.
One day soon it will be a rolling link to the internet, have its own AI and built in GPS too. It will talk and tell when you’re low on fuel or need air for a low tire or oil change. 👍

· Registered
2017 Prambler
560 Posts
The more I see from BMW, the more glad I am I got my 2017. I realize "fly by wire" is the way everything is going these days, but as an old school rider, and an old guy, I like my bikes as simple and as mechanical as possible. YMMV.

Best,
-Tim

· Registered
2020 BMW R9T Pure, Ali tank.
808 Posts
The more I see from BMW, the more glad I am I got my 2017. I realize "fly by wire" is the way everything is going these days, but as an old school rider, and an old guy, I like my bikes as simple and as mechanical as possible. YMMV.

Best,
-Tim
Agree mostly and I suppose my 2020 Pure just escaped most updates.
However, I would like a cruise control that kept speeds constant up hill and down dale.
Cheers,Ken.

· Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,349 Posts
Some changes were probably necessary to meet Euro 5 emissions regulations, in order just to keep making these bikes. Considering how old the engine design is, I suppose it's a miracle they pass any emissions standards anywhere at all. But the 2021s didn't get all the wizardry of the more refined bikes, like ESA, quickshifter, and TPMS. Despite the electronic throttle and other electronics, I think the R9T is still more analog than digital, and that's one reason I love it.

Oh, and there's a huge new BMW cruiser called the R18. Opinions are, um, shall we say, "divided?" :LOL:

· Registered
2021 BMW R NineT Scrambler
290 Posts
I guess I come from the 'never to much' side of the room, I'm pretty sure I clicked on the AI option, iris scanner for security, and ejection pillion just for good measure, for the Bean....

· Premium Member
271 Posts
TPMS saved my life on an S1000RR, and I absolutely love the quickshifter on that bike and my Ducatis — you don’t have to use it, you can still clutch as much as you’d like. I also love having cruise control. Though I rarely use it, it comes in handy when my wrist needs a brake on the slab. One thing that may not seem at all necessary is the blind-spot warning on the new Multistrada, but it is a truly wonderful safety feature that is sure to save lives — and come to BMW soon.

I’m old too, and I appreciate the analog feel of the R nineT, but features like these — as well as ABS and traction control — keep a lot of us alive to enjoy these beautiful machines.

· Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
544 Posts
I like the safety features as well such as TPMS and ABS Pro. I can't add ABS Pro but I did add TPMS (Fobo Tire 2) and I find it very useful, even without ever having had a puncture, but it has warned me a couple of times that it was time to add a couple of tenths of bar of pressure. It's a good thing to have.

· Registered
126 Posts
Well, I feel grumpy and the urge to share my thoughts ....
So. one cross each and off we go (you can hang, draw and quarter me later :)
I have been driving motorcycles for over 45 year now, my 2018 Turban being bike number 56 or 58. I lost count on the way through the ½ a million plus kilometers I have done on my bikes.
Consisitency probably never has been my strong side, especially when it came to types of bikes or makers. I had, for example, sworn never ever to ride a BMW again after a serious issues with an F800S but am a very happy owner of a Turban now :cool:
I ride bikes because I like to. Don’t even own a car....
The thrill, the danger, the excitement, the wrenching, the differnt way of taking in your surroundings all appeal to me.
If it was possible I would have bought the Turban without the ABS, by the way.
If I wanted to travel safely, with all the creature comforts and all the suggestive safety possible, I would do it on foot or in a car.
No matter how much wizardy the industry will throw at it, you can’t change natural laws.
f you go too fast – you die, if the roads are too slippery – you die, if a tire suddenly looses pressure at a 100 mph – you die.... Well, maybe you get only badly maimed, but the basic idea stays the same, unfortunately.
All those gizmos may give you the impression of being in control all the time.
Well, the beauty of riding a motorcycle for me is – I most definetely am not, and I try never to forget that fact.
Do you think TMPS, ABS Pro, rain mode and traction control will safe your hide when you duly stop at a traffic light and a 95 year old graveyard candidate mows you down, late on their way to church? Or a stressed young mother of 3 who desperatedly needs to read the last social media post on her smartphone does not see you in a turn....?
For me the beauty of riding a bike is using all my senses to take in everything around me, enjoy the movement - and surviving. I don’t want electronical gadgets to take over that responsability and I do not think they are able to either.
So, for me: no GPS (ok, I may occasionally fall for one of those – though it totally messes up my natural sense of orientation and route finding), no rain modes (I just am more careful in adverse conditions – taught to me by umpteen years of all-year-round driving) no cameras, Bluetooth, music etc....
And most certainly no twiddling on jog wheels, circling with joysticks or scrolling through pages of „information“ on a 10“ touch screen while driving.
It probably means being a complety OCD person, but I do actually check before every ride for fluid leaks, tire pressure, working brakes and loose spokes.
Sometimes I wonder how people who are piloting planes (and hence know all about pre-flight checks) have such different approaches to driving their much more dangerous motorbikes.
I am a keen fan of T.H.Lawrences writings and opinions on motorbikes and speed, though I would rather like not to die like him (on his Brough Superior).
For all who think they have to feed that evergrowing marketing beast selling us ever more gadetry – have a little read on what happens to you when the 70 cent battery on your TPMS sensor gives in after 2 years. Not detrimental to your health but very bad for your wallet.
And if you can’t be bothered to check the tire pressure before every ride, or don’t sense a drop in pressure while you ride – you can happily clap your hands while flying off, when your TPMS informs you of a catastrophic drop in pressure.
As a final thought it would be interesting to see whether BMW with this whole new range of „goodies“ maybe managed to produce waterproof headlights or switchgear.
Nobody commenting on even more unrepairable electronics, but still the same 1970'ies ish fork internals for the right side up forks?
Perhaps it is great to have a rain mode in the 2021 model, but I would have appreciated waterpoofing on my components much more.......
Or small little common sense things like an ignition lock that doesn’t function as a raincollector (and then freezes in winter), mudguards worth their name or just a seat which can be removed without a tool.
Or just putting the control glasses for clutch and brake fluid on the driver side so you can actually see them when you are sitting on your bike.
That’s just my 5 cents for now – fire away....

Bernhard

· Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
398 Posts
I have been driving motorcycles for over 45 year now, my 2018 Turban being bike number 56 or 58. I lost count on the way through the ½ a million plus kilometers I have done on my bikes.
Consisitency probably never has been my strong side, especially when it came to types of bikes or makers. I had, for example, sworn never ever to ride a BMW again after a serious issues with an F800S but am a very happy owner of a Turban now :cool:
The thrill, the danger, the excitement, the wrenching, the differnt way of taking in your surroundings all appeal to me.
If I wanted to travel safely, with all the creature comforts and all the suggestive safety possible, I would do it on foot or in a car.
No matter how much wizardy the industry will throw at it, you can’t change natural laws.
f you go too fast – you die, if the roads are too slippery – you die, if a tire suddenly looses pressure at a 100 mph – you die.... Well, maybe you get only badly maimed, but the basic idea stays the same, unfortunately.
Well, the beauty of riding a motorcycle for me is – I most definetely am not, and I try never to forget that fact.
Do you think TMPS, ABS Pro, rain mode and traction control will safe your hide when you duly stop at a traffic light and a 95 year old graveyard candidate mows you down, late on their way to church? Or a stressed young mother of 3 who desperatedly needs to read the last social media post on her smartphone does not see you in a turn....?
For me the beauty of riding a bike is using all my senses to take in everything around me, enjoy the movement - and surviving. I don’t want electronical gadgets to take over that responsability and I do not think they are able to either.
So, for me: no GPS (ok, I may occasionally fall for one of those – though it totally messes up my natural sense of orientation and route finding), no rain modes (I just am more careful in adverse conditions – taught to me by umpteen years of all-year-round driving) no cameras, Bluetooth, music etc....
And most certainly no twiddling on jog wheels, circling with joysticks or scrolling through pages of „information“ on a 10“ touch screen while driving.
It probably means being a complety OCD person, but I do actually check before every ride for fluid leaks, tire pressure, working brakes and loose spokes.
Sometimes I wonder how people who are piloting planes (and hence know all about pre-flight checks) have such different approaches to driving their much more dangerous motorbikes.
I am a keen fan of T.H.Lawrences writings and opinions on motorbikes and speed, though I would rather like not to die like him (on his Brough Superior).
For all who think they have to feed that evergrowing marketing beast selling us ever more gadetry – have a little read on what happens to you when the 70 cent battery on your TPMS sensor gives in after 2 years. Not detrimental to your health but very bad for your wallet.
And if you can’t be bothered to check the tire pressure before every ride, or don’t sense a drop in pressure while you ride – you can happily clap your hands while flying off, when your TPMS informs you of a catastrophic drop in pressure.
As a final thought it would be interesting to see whether BMW with this whole new range of „goodies“ maybe managed to produce waterproof headlights or switchgear.
Nobody commenting on even more unrepairable electronics, but still the same 1970'ies ish fork internals for the right side up forks?
Perhaps it is great to have a rain mode in the 2021 model, but I would have appreciated waterpoofing on my components much more.......
Or small little common sense things like an ignition lock that doesn’t function as a raincollector (and then freezes in winter), mudguards worth their name or just a seat which can be removed without a tool.
Or just putting the control glasses for clutch and brake fluid on the driver side so you can actually see them when you are sitting on your bike.

Bernhard
There is merit in your statement. For many the nine t is a return to basic/ bare bone maybe just a tad less. I like my heated grips and ABS. I like the cable accelerator, unfortunately the fly by wire is the way to go with BMW if you want cruise control, which is nice to have when doing long stretches of open road. The men in white coats have to comply with euro 5, hence all the changes in engine design. We have a liquid cooled boxer because of euro requirements, etc. All the safety and mode options is because more people demand it. It would have been more sensible if they upgraded just the suspension, the suspension reminds me of riding a bike in the eighties. However, I can live with stock suspension and doubt that I will look at modifications. At end of the day the bikes will evolve, safety always a consideration, but we have to stay safe and be sensible when riding. I hope they keep the nine t spartan on electronics. I fear that my GSA has evolved to far with to many electronics. When they improve suspension of urban and scrambler the GSA will find a new captain.

· Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,349 Posts
I agree with both @blbace and @JohanH -- I don't need all the modern electronics some bikes offer, but it's nice to have some things that make motorcycling safer and/or more enjoyable. One of the reasons I chose my 2020 R9T Pure over one of my dream bikes, a newer R1200R (liquid-cooled) because it was a simpler machine overall. I'd love to have cruise control (and maybe the LED headlight) from the 2021, but a simple throttle lock will do the trick for me when necessary. Otherwise I love how basic my BMW is compared to many other new bikes.

· Premium Member
804 Posts
BMW replaced my swinging-arm boot for me for a considerable fee and managed to displace the rear wheel ABS sensor such that it was abraded and failed and cost me more BMW-quids.

As I wait for my Ohlins shock to get back from service and I have the rear end of my 9T tore down to replace dry rotted swing arm boots ...

· Premium Member
804 Posts
It would be great if the latest models didn‘t rust, corrode, fail, etc. And the indicators
were waterproof and the instruments cable didn‘t break and the switches fail. The quality of my ‘93 Honda VFR750f is something BMW can only dream of.

· Premium Member
Squashed Roadster
542 Posts

Bernhard

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.