BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought a pair of soft panniers for my Pure. They are the saddle bag throw over seat type, but sold as for R9T.
No instructions and and with the over saddle straps at their shortest the left bag rests on the exhaust muffler and the right bag will just swing/blow into the rear wheel.
Email the company in Germany and they said ‘As these panniers are a universal fit, you will have to fabricate/make something to support them.
Ken.
image.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
This doesn't surprise me at all.
I have received similar answers myself (which restrained me from buying).
I see there are products that can help insulating the bags from the heat (the Italian Givi makes something), but for the bags supports it's a nightmare.

First of all: do the bags interfere with the turning lights?
This was another no-go for me.
Second, you could have a look at Rizoma for example:

These are not cheap but will provide the support you need, I believe.

Inviato dal mio SM-A750FN utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Geez. The curse of "universal fit."

Rizoma makes these, at $112 - each.

BMW makes something similar, for $96 (also each):

Problem is you will have spent twice as much on brackets as you probably spent for the bags themselves... 😖 1582303519715.png 1582303772610.png

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi,
I bought a pair of soft panniers for my Pure. They are the saddle bag throw over seat type, but sold as for R9T.
No instructions and and with the over saddle straps at their shortest the left bag rests on the exhaust muffler and the right bag will just swing/blow into the rear wheel.
Email the company in Germany and they said ‘As these panniers are a universal fit, you will have to fabricate/make something to support them.
Ken. View attachment 129442
I have a set of those GIVI bags and the support structure isn't so much of a nightmare. They’re considered semi soft. I love mine. They aren’t fully water proof but come with elastic covers that are water proof. They also have a collapsible ring that when unzipped almost doubles the cubic size.
I think they are more for soft goods like cloths, not tools or camping gear. They lock to their frame with a key and the zipper has a tiny padlock as well. Their great for a night at a motel and are equipped with handles like a suitcase. I wanted something like luggage and not toolboxes. I’m very happy with mine. One trick when you install the rack is don’t tighten anything down till all the nut and bolts are threaded and in place. They fit tight to install but once snugged up are very sturdy.
I’d give them 5 stars for convenience and looks too. If your actually interested I’ll take some more detailed Picts and post them for you to view. P.S. Their not meant for off road, they will scratch if dragged through the bush. Strictly for touring on highways. P.S.S. My mounting rack is very different than the one posted above by CerealOwner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The BMW brackets are really nice and doesnt clutter up the nice look/design of the bike, like alot of square shaped brackets do.

The BMW ones are also just rebrandes SW-MOTECH SLC brackets. That means it will open up for the usage of SW-MOTECH pannier bags that you latch/click on. No need for a strap bag system, unless you absolutely want to use strap bags/panniers.

I bought the SW-MOTECH brackets, then bought their universal side plates/mounts to put my rugged Kriega OS-18 bags. Like the solution alot, only caveat is the slightly overly expensive Kriega bags.

Not the best angle of view, but you get the point. On paralever side is a 32 litre pannier and on exhaust side is a 18 litre bag (smaller to keep it clear from touching the exhaust).

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I see there are products that can help insulating the bags from the heat (the Italian Givi makes something), but for the bags supports it's a nightmare.

Fabrizio,
With the bags as far back (Touching the turn signals) as they’ll go, when I’m seated on the bike the front edge of the bags just touches the back of my thighs, so not ideal, but I could live with it.
I’m going to give the job a lot of thinking about before deciding whether to spend what to me seems a lot of cash for simple brackets.
Thanks for all replies,Ken.
PS. It’s not helped by the fact I removed the rear subframe.:(

·
Registered
562 Posts
Fabrizio,
With the bags as far back (Touching the turn signals) as they’ll go, when I’m seated on the bike the front edge of the bags just touches the back of my thighs, so not ideal, but I could live with it.
I’m going to give the job a lot of thinking about before deciding whether to spend what to me seems a lot of cash for simple brackets.
Thanks for all replies,Ken.
PS. It’s not helped by the fact I removed the rear subframe.:(
Ken here some better shots of semi-soft bags. Again these are not well suited for off road.
I took the stock turn indicators modified a bit (LED’s) and installed them on a top carrier that I fabricated

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like very much the side bags.
But I have a scrambler so the (extremely beautiful) exhaust gets in the way.
So I decided to install the hepco luggage carrier (or "rack"), fixed a cheap canvas bag on one of the side "arms", and use the bag to store what I consider essential: the tyres repair spray (i don't know if this is the correct term in English), the two pieces rain suit and an Abus disk lock.
When I travel, I fix a tarpaulin dry bag on the rack with my stuff.
I would love to have bags on the sides but the unitgarage (just to mention one of the most common) are crazy expensive and not practical.
Plus, I have a tank bag - the one in the picture is a Chinese polyurethane leather-like bag on which I have mounted a Givi tanklock system taken from another bag. I have another more "serious" tanklock bag for travel, a 12 liters capacity or something like that.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, for the replies and pictures.
I really don’t want any extra metalwork on the back of the bike, (Really into minimalistic) so I’ll probably keep using a rucksack on my back When capacity needed.
I did have a magnetic tank bag up until 8th of this month.
Went to the Dragon Rally in Wales and on the way home (125 miles each way) the tank bag decided to bail out...in it was my plastic thingy for going under the kick stand on soft (And the Rally field was SOFT) ground, a couple charging leads and my TomTom.
Was doing 75 in heavy traffic and high winds, not safe to stop where I was so ignored it.
I’d previously tested it up to a ton without problem, ah well.
Thanks again,Ken.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thanks guys, for the replies and pictures.
I really don’t want any extra metalwork on the back of the bike, (Really into minimalistic) so I’ll probably keep using a rucksack on my back When capacity needed.
I did have a magnetic tank bag up until 8th of this month.
Went to the Dragon Rally in Wales and on the way home (125 miles each way) the tank bag decided to bail out...in it was my plastic thingy for going under the kick stand on soft (And the Rally field was SOFT) ground, a couple charging leads and my TomTom.
Was doing 75 in heavy traffic and high winds, not safe to stop where I was so ignored it.
I’d previously tested it up to a ton without problem, ah well.
Thanks again,Ken.
I lost a tank bag the same way Ken. Bought another this time with clips. Fabricated a leather cover for the tank, both to protect it from scratches and to hold down the new bag.
It hooks up under the seat and around the fork bearing so it’s not going anywhere .... I put my iPad Mini in it with map directions .... I just can’t loose that one. I’m confident short of a wreck it’s not coming off. I run a full ton every time I mount up. Sorry you lost your bag ... I know how pissed I was .... no more ....one ton or better

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BlitzSchnell,
Looks like an excellent job, you certainly have a talent for making things to improve your bikes. Like also the stays on your screen, another great job.
Cheers,Ken.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The BMW brackets are really nice and doesnt clutter up the nice look/design of the bike, like alot of square shaped brackets do.

The BMW ones are also just rebrandes SW-MOTECH SLC brackets. That means it will open up for the usage of SW-MOTECH pannier bags that you latch/click on. No need for a strap bag system, unless you absolutely want to use strap bags/panniers.

I bought the SW-MOTECH brackets, then bought their universal side plates/mounts to put my rugged Kriega OS-18 bags. Like the solution alot, only caveat is the slightly overly expensive Kriega bags.

Not the best angle of view, but you get the point. On paralever side is a 32 litre pannier and on exhaust side is a 18 litre bag (smaller to keep it clear from touching the exhaust).

Seongie, I plan to buy the same set up, SW-Motech SLC R and L carrier plus the metal plates which clip on to the SLC carriers, both sides. But I first made sure to find a local leather fabricator who can make a pair of nice panniers for me by my owne design. I will cut of the excess corners and sand down the metal brackets. Make them nice and a bit more compact, have them ready to get glued and stitched in to the back sides of the leather and nylon canvas panniers. Hopefully the local leather upholstery fabricator will do a great job with the panniers I designed for my 9T. I love the SW-Motech system, or original BMW OEM carrier SLC system... But just don't like any of the panniers on offer, Legend comes close but I can make it even nicer. Plus both sides they only make 9.8 l bag. I am sure when I take my measurements I will be able to design them both a bit bigger. Like at least 12 liters. I guess will see.🤔☻😁

Cheers Riders ☻☻😀

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just picked up a very nice used set of the SW Motech Legend bags and mounts. I know they have been discussed elsewhere here but I have to say they are really very nice. The 2 point mounts specifically are a really good system. Went on in under 60 seconds per side and IMHO bleng very nicely into the scheme of the bike espesciallt if the pasender section and original tail light/fender system are still in place. I am trying to find that happy balance between what I like and what I need and am trying hard to maintain the beautiful simplicity of the original design without just tacking things on willy nilly. I am finding that editorial process a challenge at times. But as a good looking bag system, that's very easy on and off, my first impressions are positive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just picked up a very nice used set of the SW Motech Legend bags and mounts. I know they have been discussed elsewhere here but I have to say they are really very nice. The 2 point mounts specifically are a really good system. Went on in under 60 seconds per side and IMHO bleng very nicely into the scheme of the bike espesciallt if the pasender section and original tail light/fender system are still in place. I am trying to find that happy balance between what I like and what I need and am trying hard to maintain the beautiful simplicity of the original design without just tacking things on willy nilly. I am finding that editorial process a challenge at times. But as a good looking bag system, that's very easy on and off, my first impressions are positive.
I totally agree.
The only thing that bothered me (even more with the original BMW bags) is to keep the right passenger footrest open to accommodate the bag

·
Registered
161 Posts
Because it was requested I thought I'd add some SW Motech Legend system pics for reference. I bought a complete right and left side set used, in excellent condition, with waterproof liners etc., from a great seller, at a price I couldn't pass up. I originally only wanted a right side bag and that will be mostly fro my occasional morning commute to work and carrying and stowing the small small essentials and a large thermos.

The mounts blend beautifully and look quite factory to me.

Big bag on the right, can top roll either direction. I am curious how they will interact with a passenger. As was mentioned, bigger bag means the passenger peg must be down.

I actually think I prefer the smaller bag overall.

Couldn't be easier on and off with the three point mount and wondering if the mounts are swappable for side. The mount holes look similarly placed and I might try for fun and also so we would actually know for posterity.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Because it was requested I thought I'd add some SW Motech Legend system pics for reference. I bought a complete right and left side set used, in excellent condition, with waterproof liners etc., from a great seller, at a price I couldn't pass up. I originally only wanted a right side bag and that will be mostly fro my occasional morning commute to work and carrying and stowing the small small essentials and a large thermos.

The mounts blend beautifully and look quite factory to me.
View attachment 129584

View attachment 129585

View attachment 129586

View attachment 129587

Big bag on the right, can top roll either direction. I am curious how they will interact with a passenger. As was mentioned, bigger bag means the passenger peg must be down.
View attachment 129588

I actually think I prefer the smaller bag overall.
View attachment 129589

View attachment 129591

Couldn't be easier on and off with the three point mount and wondering if the mounts are swappable for side. The mount holes look similarly placed and I might try for fun and also so we would actually know for posterity.
View attachment 129592

View attachment 129593

View attachment 129594
Thanks Nervous,
I can see everything quite clearly now, exactly what I needed to see. I love the system and the Legend pannier bags, they are very nice. And yes you might be right, the small bag 9.8l is big enough. But I think 11l would be a perfect fit for both sides, I am not happy about nonsymmetrical panniers. I want mine to be the same size both sides, so I was wondering can the big bag fit on the left side, with the original exhaust muffler? From your photos it seems to me it would fit without much problems?

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Nervous,
I can see everything quite clearly now, exactly what I needed to see. I love the system and the Legend pannier bags, they are very nice. And yes you might be right, the small bag 9.8l is big enough. But I think 11l would be a perfect fit for both sides, I am not happy about nonsymmetrical panniers. I want mine to be the same size both sides, so I was wondering can the big bag fit on the left side, with the original exhaust muffler? From your photos it seems to me it would fit without much problems?
Hey, Markan,
Things that are different, needn’t be alike! ;)
Ken.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks Nervous,
If it's the Classic you're referring to the LC2 bag in the larger 13.5L size is available for both right and left sides so I have to think that there is suitable room on the mullfer side for the larger bag. And I see these listed as 9.8L and 13.5L sizes. The BMW variant is the same mount an made bt SW Motech as far as I know, just slightly different styling..

They can be purchased as each, in either size or as a pair:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts