BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
@nervous I suspect that you could fit the bags on either side. My concern, however, would be that they won’t be secure when used on the “wrong” side, particularly at high speed.
I may be misunderstanding but because they are side specific mounts you can't mount them the wrong way. Left side bag (pick your bag size) and left side mount or right side bag ( again, choose your bag size) and right side mount. No mix and match.

·
Registered
8 Posts
May I suggest dropping an email to the manufacturer, to see if the larger bag comes with the right fixing device (sorry for my English).
I sent an email last year to the Italian importer and they answered me (I am quoting/translating) "the bags come with the fixing system already installed, if you want, you can 'reposition' it making other holes in the bag".
"Other holes" was a no-go.
If I have to make such an experiment, I'm gonna do it on 10 euros bags from AliExpress, not on expensive stuff...

Inviato dal mio SM-A750FN utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
If it's the Classic you're referring to the LC2 bag in the larger 13.5L size is available for both right and left sides so I have to think that there is suitable room on the mullfer side for the larger bag. And I see these listed as 9.8L and 13.5L sizes. The BMW variant is the same mount an made bt SW Motech as far as I know, just slightly different styling..

They can be purchased as each, in either size or as a pair:

Oh ok I was of the opinion you can get the 13.5l Legend pannier only for right side... But if I can buy it for the left as well then that's great, cause yes I believe the left side big bag can clear the exhaust muffler. Especially the original double Akrap, cause it seats a bit lower than your titanium Akrapović, right Nervous?

Only I am in EU so doesn't make sense to order from Revzzilla . But let's say I would order directly from SW-Motech. Anyway I am gonna try that upholstery guy to fabricate the bags for me first. If it turns out impossible I will just buy the bigger Legend panniers.

Two plates with mounts are not that expensive, they're about 50€ each.

Cheers Nervous and thanks. ☻☻😁

·
Registered
161 Posts
Oh ok I was of the opinion you can get the 13.5l Legend pannier only for right side... But if I can buy it for the left as well then that's great, cause yes I believe the left side big bag can clear the exhaust muffler. Especially the original double Akrap, cause it seats a bit lower than your titanium Akrapović, right Nervous?

Only I am in EU so doesn't make sense to order from Revzzilla . But let's say I would order directly from SW-Motech. Anyway I am gonna try that upholstery guy to fabricate the bags for me first. If it turns out impossible I will just buy the bigger Legend panniers.

Two plates with mounts are not that expensive, they're about 50€ each.

Cheers Nervous and thanks. ☻☻😁
I can't comment on the relative heights of the double stock vs. the sport that I have but I am think the double are lower otherwise I can't think they would sell a bag in the larger sizing fot the left side that wouldn't fit. The Revzilla links were merely for easy product reference for what is available. And you're very wlecome. Whatever I can do I am happy to contribute as everyone here so willingly does. Fabulous community.

·
Registered
147 Posts

1. I can't comment on the relative heights of the double stock vs. the sport that I have but I am think the double are lower otherwise I can't think they would sell a bag in the larger sizing fot the left side that wouldn't fit. The Revzilla links were merely for easy product reference for what is available. And you're very wlecome. Whatever I can do I am happy to contribute as everyone here so willingly does. Fabulous community.
    I couldn't agree more I believe we're blessed to have this forum.
Ok you really helped me with your comments and photos. I am sure the bags are great, are they well made and have a good waterproof insulation bags inside?

BTW where did you get the Snorkel letters from ? Your 9T is just like mine so it's really good to share about equipment, stile and practicality for the Roadster. I plan to get a Daedalus Minima tail light with turn signals, I think you should do the same. Even though it's very expensive.

·
Registered
161 Posts
  1. I couldn't agree more I believe we're blessed to have this forum.
  2. Ok you really helped me with your comments and photos. I am sure the bags are great, are they well made and have a good waterproof insulation bags inside?
BTW where did you get the Snorkel letters from ? Your 9T is just like mine so it's really good to share about equipment, stile and practicality for the Roadster. I plan to get a Daedalus Minima tail light with turn signals, I think you should do the same. Even though it's very expensive.
The bags are very good quality. Well made and seemingly sturdy. They are a roll top so that something you have to live with. Not my favorite thing but there are compromises to be made with all these things. I originally thought it was just a simple single flap, not a roll top. I am not sure if the BMW variants are the same design. And because of that design they're a bit 'rustic' or vintage in their overall appearance and a bit fiddly with the end cover hooks but not awful. I also did not love the full length velcro on the top rim of the bags. Just another thing to fuss with when using them.I'll tell you how I solved that in a sec. The liners are seam sealed and look like mini dry bags. Again roll top but with a plastic snap buckle to secure teh roll and keep water out. Pretty nice. These too have velcro though. Then the lightbulb cam on. I turned the liners inside out, reinstalled into the outer bag, male to female velcor and problem solved! I have liners and no velcro hassle to deal with. And I can revery any time simply by removing and inverting the liners to their original state. Mind you the bags are waxed cotton canvas so they may need some love from time to time to keep them as water resistant/waterproof as possible. I am a pretty fair wrather rider so I am not concerned. But if I got caught in something as occassionally happens I am confident the liners would do their job well.

To your recommendation on tail lights I'll take a look. But it's funny, I just did a fairly lengthy post on a rear rack project I am working on that probably makes it best to keep things stock back there. Oddly I am not repulsed by that section as many are.

This thread will get you what you need on the snorkel letters:

·
Registered
147 Posts
The bags are very good quality. Well made and seemingly sturdy. They are a roll top so that something you have to live with. Not my favorite thing but there are compromises to be made with all these things. I originally thought it was just a simple single flap, not a roll top. I am not sure if the BMW variants are the same design. And because of that design they're a bit 'rustic' or vintage in their overall appearance and a bit fiddly with the end cover hooks but not awful. I also did not love the full length velcro on the top rim of the bags. Just another thing to fuss with when using them.I'll tell you how I solved that in a sec. The liners are seam sealed and look like mini dry bags. Again roll top but with a plastic snap buckle to secure teh roll and keep water out. Pretty nice. These too have velcro though. Then the lightbulb cam on. I turned the liners inside out, reinstalled into the outer bag, male to female velcor and problem solved! I have liners and no velcro hassle to deal with. And I can revery any time simply by removing and inverting the liners to their original state. Mind you the bags are waxed cotton canvas so they may need some love from time to time to keep them as water resistant/waterproof as possible. I am a pretty fair wrather rider so I am not concerned. But if I got caught in something as occassionally happens I am confident the liners would do their job well.

To your recommendation on tail lights I'll take a look. But it's funny, I just did a fairly lengthy post on a rear rack project I am working on that probably makes it best to keep things stock back there. Oddly I am not repulsed by that section as many are.

This thread will get you what you need on the snorkel letters:
Thanks Nervous I really appreciate everything you wrote and explained about the legend gear.
I decided I might just buy the big bags. I contacted my local Motech dealer and they told me big 13.5 l bags for both sides can be ordered on request by customer. Cost for the whole set including SLC carriers is about 470 € . so it's certainly not cheap. But I guess if my upholstery fabricator won't know how to make the panniers. This is second best solution.

BTW tnx for the post for snorkel letters I was aware of this one.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts