BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
2022 Scrambler, HD Rocker FXCWC;
1,117 Posts
They always come up with some excuse so they don't have to warrent it... oh, your case attachment made the engine run unbalanced...

they are so full of it.... but then again they have to run a business and make money...

· Registered
2015 BMW R nine T 2018 BMW 1200GSA Rallye, 2018 BMW R1200R Sport, 2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
134 Posts
They always come up with some excuse so they don't have to warrent it... oh, your case attachment made the engine run unbalanced...

they are so full of it.... but then again they have to run a business and make money...
Probably a subject for a completely seperate thread but I've found that my experiences with BMW motorcycle warranty issues over the years have really come down to the individual dealer much more than 'head office' policy. By that I mean how much the service manager is willing to go out on a limb to help the customer.
I've owned bikes that have technically been well outside of the warranty period and problems have been dealt with fairly sympathetically in my view. The old R1200 Cruiser was a classic example. They very quickly developed an unfavourable reputation for the chrome, of which there was plenty, peeling and coming away. The BMW dealer in Perth operating within the main BMW car dealership initially denied that it was a widespread problem however a business trip to Adelaide found me in the local dealership which in those days was multi franchised. They had no qualms whatsoever in agreeing that it was in fact a well known problem. Bear in mind that this was just pre internet so these types of issues weren't as widely known/publicised as they are these days with online forums. Armed with my new found knowledge I approached the dealer in Perth again and from that point forward I had a lot of parts on the bike swapped out including at one point a complete front wheel assembly, hub and rim! Unrelated but they also replaced the rear brake master cylinder for free when it developed a leak. I think that the bike was about 4 years old by that point but had very low mileage on the clock.
Subsequent issues I've had with various GSA's were also remedied without quibble. As much as it can be relatively expensive, having the bikes serviced at the dealer by the book from new obviously strengthened my case. I've also found that building a good relationship with the service manager helps enormously. As the old saying goes, "You catch more flies with honey than you do with shit"!

· Premium Member
1,183 Posts
You would think that the developers of windscreens have a testing chamber where they can make a light simulating the sun shine 360 degrees from any direction at the windshield. And then see or there's any "hot spots" caused by the windshields they make. I bet there's even software that can do this.

· Registered
2013 R1200GSA 2021 Urban GS 2014 Moto Guzzi 1400 Touring
160 Posts
The melted the trim on the dash of a GSA I had. The shield had that rolled edge and it acted like a magnifier enough to melt a pencil width spot in my upper dash.

Threw a rag over my dash after that. No problems since.

· Registered
2018 Urban G/S
316 Posts
When I installed my Puig, it came with a warning about lensing potentially causing damage. I assumed it was a CYA and went ahead anyway, because I've had an after market windshield on all my prior bikes, including a Puig on my R100R. But then one time last fall, when it wasn't even very hot out, I stopped at a coffee shop for about 45m. When I rode off again, I noticed the LCD display was totally black, and then slowly faded back to normal over the first couple of miles. The only plausible explanation is heat caused by lensing. This thread seems to support that theory. So I guess I'll carry an old TShirt around with me to put on the windshield from now on.

· Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,324 Posts
Why should they? User's fault, sorry. Maybe you'd removed the fairing before running to the dealer?
And instead of old/new shirts or junk towels use Plastic Tint Spray
Have had 2 bikes, both with tinted shields - because ot that mess.
I’d agree in the case of the Puig device, esp. now that @Ric Vilbig has stated that Puig themselves provide such a warning. In case they don’t do that consistently (did they, @GOAM ?), they should be liable, esp here in the US where litigation is crazy.
In case of the above BMW OEM Adventure screen destroying a “regular” GS, (post#7) I’d definitely not accept that reasoning. That’s silly.

@UGS_Tom where in Germany do you have to struggle with sunlight, and since when?😂

· Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,324 Posts
Interesting, get in touch with @Ric Vilbig and find out why he had different instructions. You might have a case there!

· Registered
2018 Urban G/S
316 Posts
Interesting, get in touch with @Ric Vilbig and find out why he had different instructions. You might have a case there!
It wasn't on the instructions (which I still have). It was a separate piece of paper which I unfortunately tossed. I would actually like to reread it now, in light of this thread, it just seemed like a silly CYA at the time.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts