BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I too have experienced the motor stalling on my 9t a couple of times. It happened during slow traffic with the clutch engaged. Any advice and or suggestions. Love the bike though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not sure why there's another thread about this, but... just did the 6,000 mile service and the dealer reflashed the computer. All seems well now but only used her 50 miles so far since the service and it was intermittent. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2020 RnineT
26 Posts
I've just had this happen to me on my 2020. ~2000 miles on the odometer. I've also noticed it almost stalling over the weekend. I noticed there's a hiccup when I shift down from 3rd to 2nd, but hold the clutch engaged a little longer (traffic situation), rev it with the clutch engaged and it clucks a little weird; today it actually stalled. Engine temp was about 230-240F

·
Registered
396 Posts
There have been some threads about the engine either stalling or misfiring/detonation/ping with a very slow and weak amount of throttle kind of like if you do a soft/half-assed throttle blip, or when letting the clutch out to let the RPMs drop to idle. I would say it does it more when it's cold, but mine has also done it when up to operating temp and I've grabbed the clutch lever for a few seconds at speed and then blipped the throttle, like when slowing in traffic and lazily shifting down. My 2018 still does it occasionally even with 23k miles on the odo.

It's a big old german air cooled boxer engine. You gotta show it who is the pack leader, otherwise it'll show you.

·
Registered
2020 RnineT
26 Posts
There have been some threads about the engine either stalling or misfiring/detonation/ping with a very slow and weak amount of throttle kind of like if you do a soft/half-assed throttle blip, or when letting the clutch out to let the RPMs drop to idle. I would say it does it more when it's cold, but mine has also done it when up to operating temp and I've grabbed the clutch lever for a few seconds at speed and then blipped the throttle, like when slowing in traffic and lazily shifting down. My 2018 still does it occasionally even with 23k miles on the odo.

It's a big old german air cooled boxer engine. You gotta show it who is the pack leader, otherwise it'll show you.
Exactly the behavior I'm seeing. Yesterday it stalled again while I was passing through the toll booth on the Golden Gate bridge at about 30mph. Same thing: grab clutch, blip throttle, heard a clunck (like a locking of sorts) and it died.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Exactly the behavior I'm seeing. Yesterday it stalled again while I was passing through the toll booth on the Golden Gate bridge at about 30mph. Same thing: grab clutch, blip throttle, heard a clunck (like a locking of sorts) and it died.
Try for a bit softer blip, if you get it, then go for a larger one then you can begin to release the clutch slowly as you pick up the rev’s you made with the blips …. A two cylinder with our firing sequence when at idle …is then asked for torque at the wrong moment in that sequence she will fail almost every time. It’s not a big multi cylinder V6 or V8 etc… with a plug firing every nano-second… at idle that opposing 2 has a weakness .. but rev her just a little and she comes alive…. Then when your in any gear up around 8K RPM she’s da Boss ! Be just a bit more insistent with the throttle any time your at idle BEFORE you start clutching her out… you won’t ever stall again. There are times when an engine out of tune will stall frequently but frankly most times stalling on this moto is more about learning how to clutch this boxer than a mechanical issue. Practice and don’t be shy about blipping her a bit before you ask her to jump into action. Try it, you’ll get it !
……Blitz

Reactions: mihai

·
Registered
2020 RnineT
26 Posts
Try for a bit softer blip, if you get it, then go for a larger one then you can begin to release the clutch slowly as you pick up the rev’s you made with the blips …. A two cylinder with our firing sequence when at idle …is then asked for torque at the wrong moment in that sequence she will fail almost every time. It’s not a big multi cylinder V6 or V8 etc… with a plug firing every nano-second… at idle that opposing 2 has a weakness .. but rev her just a little and she comes alive…. Then when your in any gear up around 8K RPM she’s da Boss ! Be just a bit more insistent with the throttle any time your at idle BEFORE you start clutching her out… you won’t ever stall again. There are times when an engine out of tune will stall frequently but frankly most times stalling on this moto is more about learning how to clutch this boxer than a mechanical issue. Practice and don’t be shy about blipping her a bit before you ask her to jump into action. Try it, you’ll get it !
……Blitz
Will give this a try. I've been doing some of this, but of course sometimes I don't do it right. I'll likely ask them to diagnose it too at my next service, just in case. while it's still under warranty. Realistically, it's probably me

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Will give this a try. I've been doing some of this, but of course sometimes I don't do it right. I'll likely ask them to diagnose it too at my next service, just in case. while it's still under warranty. Realistically, it's probably me
It was all of us until we got used to the boxer behavior so don’t feel bad. It’s just part of the bikes personality. She’s a little shy till you blip her a bit … practice, you’ll get it…

1 - 10 of 10 Posts