BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
R nine T standard 2015 (goldie looking forks)
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Firstly thanks to everyone who contributes to this. It’s been a lifeline in terms of my bike at least. I have been an r nine t rider since 2015 ish and 30,000 miles is starting to show.
I just got an estimate to replace the front and rear discs and pads which came to over £800. The front disks alone are £143.23 each.
I found some on Ebay in Italy that are brembo for the scrambler. I don’t want to assume that they also fit my standard r nine t and wondered if anyone could confirm.
This Pandemic and second lockdown has hit my income so I’m watching the pennies like a bad game of Monopoly.
Now that I’m actually registered here I’ll try to put put my two Peneth in on some of the issues I’ve encountered.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi all.
Firstly thanks to everyone who contributes to this. It’s been a lifeline in terms of my bike at least. I have been an r nine t rider since 2015 ish and 30,000 miles is starting to show.
I just got an estimate to replace the front and rear discs and pads which came to over £800. The front disks alone are £143.23 each.
I found some on Ebay in Italy that are brembo for the scrambler. I don’t want to assume that they also fit my standard r nine t and wondered if anyone could confirm.
This Pandemic and second lockdown has hit my income so I’m watching the pennies like a bad game of Monopoly.
Now that I’m actually registered here I’ll try to put put my two Peneth in on some of the issues I’ve encountered.
Thanks again.
Give Rory at Pier City Cycles in Brighton a call. He will advise on what discs and he might be able to supply them.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The part number for your front rotors cross references to the following models from BMW. Replacement disks for any of those bikes should fit yours. There are very good aftermarket options from EBC, Galfer, Brembo, Braking, Spiegler, etc. Any of these will be equal to OEM performance at a lower price than a BMW dealer.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
401 Posts
Just curious, are your original disks out of spec? To me, 30,000 miles seems low to have to replace them. Maybe that's average for an R9T but I hope not.

By comparison, I used to replace the pads on my VFR every 18-20K miles, but the disks lasted much longer. I always used EBC HH Sintered pads and they always worked great, but I have no idea what most R9T owners buy and install. I guess I'll find out in a couple years since my bike is still pretty new. ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
@TimC brings up a good point. Unless the pads were worn to the point where the backing plate damaged the rotors, I can't imagine how the rotors could need to be changed so early.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would use a vernier caliper and measure the thickness of your rotors to see if they are still within factory specs. If they are save yourself $$ and just buy new brake pads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious, are your original disks out of spec? To me, 30,000 miles seems low to have to replace them. Maybe that's average for an R9T but I hope not.

By comparison, I used to replace the pads on my VFR every 18-20K miles, but the disks lasted much longer. I always used EBC HH Sintered pads and they always worked great, but I have no idea what most R9T owners buy and install. I guess I'll find out in a couple years since my bike is still pretty new. ;)
Hi
Yes I was surprised as well. I thought that disc replacement was only needed if you didn't keep an eye on the pads.
The guy at BMW said I had done quite well to get 30k. I find the brakes even now to be pretty amazing though compared to some others but Ill have to get this sorted I guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi
Yes I was surprised as well. I thought that disc replacement was only needed if you didn't keep an eye on the pads.
The guy at BMW said I had done quite well to get 30k. I find the brakes even now to be pretty amazing though compared to some others but Ill have to get this sorted I guess.
oh and yes they are the original Brembo discs that came with the bike
Give Rory at Pier City Cycles in Brighton a call. He will advise on what discs and he might be able to supply them.
Thanks I'll check them out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The part number for your front rotors cross references to the following models from BMW. Replacement disks for any of those bikes should fit yours. There are very good aftermarket options from EBC, Galfer, Brembo, Braking, Spiegler, etc. Any of these will be equal to OEM performance at a lower price than a BMW dealer.
Thanks, I'll look at some of those other brands. The discs currently are the original Brembos.

·
Registered
286 Posts
IF your dealer is saying that 30K is decent life to get out of the rotors I would strongly suggest either going to a different shop to get a second opinion, or stopping by a machine shop and having them measure the thickness of the rotor at the contact point. A worn rotor at 30K seems very suspicious to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IF your dealer is saying that 30K is decent life to get out of the rotors I would strongly suggest either going to a different shop to get a second opinion, or stopping by a machine shop and having them measure the thickness of the rotor at the contact point. A worn rotor at 30K seems very suspicious to me.
Thanks very much for your advice. They did also say there was some warp to the disk but I haven’t noticed any brake noise and I push it around quite a lot.
I am planning to take it to a non BMW place who are better priced. To be fair, there is a small step at the outer circumference and the pads should probably be changed very soon regardless.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You nailed it in your previous post. It's checking for warpage.
Thanks for clarifying. I had myself down as a light braker but maybe I’ve generated more heat on those disks than I realised.
I’ll get it double checked before throwing all that money at it.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
I have a few more miles on you since 2016 and my brakes are fine fine fine. What have you been doing to yours?

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a few more miles on you since 2016 and my brakes are fine fine fine. What have you been doing to yours?
Hi
I generally ride a 60 mile round trip from my home in Hertfordshire into central london so a decent mix of A roads and 10miles of motorway. I guess a lot of filtering through traffic and stop starting at the London end could have taken its toll on those discs.
Ive had a second estimate from the non BMW place thats approx £100 less. They haven't seen it yet but they said would advise if it needs doing or not when they do see it. I could do without the expense right now

BTW impressive milage, you beat me by nearly 9000 miles. lets hope they keep on going a while longer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts