BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So does the bike come with a nice tool kit
Or is it like the others I have (pay more get less) 1 rocker oil key ,1 spanner, plastic envelope type cover.?
Old gs 1150 came with approx 20 piece kit
Plus puncture repair kit and c02 bulb for inflation.

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
Or is it like the others I have (pay more get less) 1 rocker oil key ,1 spanner, plastic envelope type cover.?
You should be lucky you picked the R NineT with it's piddly tool kit. The last two BMWs I bought didn't come with one at all.

·
Registered
269 Posts
There isn't much on this bike that you can use a tool kit for.
If you get a flat, you are screwed as there is no centerstand.

Even if you had one of those fold up stands, you would need a bead breaker, tire spoons, a pump, tire repair kit, tools to remove the silencers.

Your 1150gs had tubeless tires, the R Nine T uses tubes.

The tool kit is there to adjust the mirrors, the headlight and the suspension and that is about it.

Worse yet, the tool kit fits under the pillion seat and you need that horrible torx tool to get at it.
AAA, a cell phone and a credit card are the real tool kit for this bike.

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
There isn't much on this bike that you can use a tool kit for.
If you get a flat, you are screwed as there is no centerstand.

Even if you had one of those fold up stands, you would need a bead breaker, tire spoons, a pump, tire repair kit, tools to remove the silencers.

Your 1150gs had tubeless tires, the R Nine T uses tubes.

The tool kit is there to adjust the mirrors, the headlight and the suspension and that is about it.

Worse yet, the tool kit fits under the pillion seat and you need that horrible torx tool to get at it.
AAA, a cell phone and a credit card are the real tool kit for this bike.
I carry all that stuff in the bottom of my tank bag. Really doesn't even take up that much room. I'll take the 30-45 minutes to change a tube roadside. It beats being stranded a day or two waiting for a dealership to open. Heck, it beats waiting an hour for the tow truck to show up. :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I saw first hand what tools / effort it takes to put the bike on a trail stand, remove the exhaust, remove the wheel, break the bead, take the tube out, replace the tube, reset the tire on the wheel, reinflate, put the tire back on the bike and then remount the exhaust...

It all would fit in a tube sock.
And it was done without even breaking a sweat.

And with pics to prove it. Check out LostRiders thread. He invited me over to his place to learn how easy it was.

And guess what. I went home and bought the few tools I didn't have.
Bring on the flat tires. I don't give a cr*p now! :D:D:D

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tool kit supplied is dismal.
Hp2 sports came with quality ratchet , spanners , pen type torch etc.
will have to add a few items to the supplied kit.
Not sure where I can store.
Mobile phone is number one on list.
The trail stand that lost rider put up is ideal for getting bike up in the air for punctures.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had 3 R1200Rs. The first one came with a basic toolkit. It was very basic but it had a few essential tools and I could determine what they were by looking at them.

By the third bike the tools were completely unrecognizable. It's like they just took some random, seldom used hardware out of the shop, shoved it in a bag and stuffed it under the seat.

With the R9T it's all recognizeable. There's an open ended wrench, a screwdriver with an interchangeable bit and a hex key.

Here's my question. Where's the plastic wrench to remove the oil filler cap? Mine didn't come with one. You can get a wrench, a screwdriver, a hex key anywhere. But you can only get an oil filler cap wrench from BMW and they don't provide one. That's the most basic and essential tool. Why isn't one included?

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I also have a BMW R90S and it comes with a comprehensive toolkit including an airpump. This bike's kit is a complete farce - and where is the effin' centre-stand, eh!?

As soon as I get my topbox (Hepco und Becker) I'll be able to have a proper toolkit; as it is I feel really vulnerable when out and about.

Also, the piddly little space where the piddly little toolkit is jammed in was full of sand and dirt - is that normal? There is a gap at the rear where I suppose it comes in - I might try and block it up. Doh!

·
Registered
422 Posts
First aid kit and tool kit (small toiletries bag I found) al fit in the tail hump. I suspect if I split the load and used the under seat storage I think I could get all the bbits that everyone worries about for a roadside tire repair that Bonk cited above (the thread Lost did). May make it my next mission. There is always somewhere to store another little wrench or bit and bob you can zip tie in under the seat frame or somewhere - part of the fun of having a new machine. Still loving the **** out of mine despite its (minor) short comings.

·
Registered
889 Posts
They sent me a BMW road side assistance card
So I guess this is for the missing center stand
And not to mention the tool kit that I just
Added a torx set to it an a couple of more things
But I have Geico insurance and I liked them fory other bikes
Cause they seem to have the best roadside assistance for an extra 10 dollars or so
They will tow you back up to 250 miles with their insurance plan
So that was my reasoning for going Geico
It was the roadside assurance and the longest distance that a insurance company offered
Unless I missed something out there from another Carrier

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have a RED tool bag ( like a carpenters bag, i bought at a hardware store), in it is everything to do a major roadside repair. Its red, so i can call the wife (if shes home and IF she will take my call.. yes my wife wont answer the phone sometimes.. haha ) and tell her to grab the RED bag and meet me at " insert my location here".

The bag has tire irons, tubes, rim protectors, Slime Pump etc., etc., and all the wrenches a monkey needs to do a job. And a couple of protein bars, and some water.

I grew up poor, in a poor neighborhood where everyone fixed whatever they possibly could themselves, whether they knew how to or not, they tried. So as a grown man, i fix what i can, every time. The idea of towing my bike for a flat or anything short of a crash isnt me. My garage is full of angry bored tools. They need satisfaction.

Its just how i was raised. Everyone is different. But i do keep AAA fully up to date. Last time i towed a bike was a number of years ago, I snapped a clutch cable on my 98 RT, late on a sunday night in a bad neighborhood here in Los Angeles, so i thought i better just get the h*ll outta there. Thats a big dumb easy job to do but its time consuming, and thought it best to just do it in the garage.

The tiny toolkit is like our human appendics, its good for something, only no one knows what for. :D:D:D ( ok to to open the oil filler cap.. there.. i said it).:cool:

Reactions: Parkblu
1 - 20 of 31 Posts