BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, could you guys provide me with thoughts about lifting a BMW R Nine T. I’d like to remove the front and rear wheels for general cleaning and maintenance.

I have found a couple options for rear wheel stands:

Moto D @ $164.95
https://motowheels.com/i-23901180-moto-d-pro-series-s-s-swingarm-stand-bmw-r-nine-t.html

T-Rex Racing @ $154.95

I’ve explored the Becker-Technik, but they’re not available in US.

What is a good option to lift the front wheel?

My other thought is that for the cost of two stands (front/rear), I might consider the Bursig.

Thanks, -Patrick
BMW R Nine T - 2016 Classic

·
Super Moderator
497 Posts
Hello Patrick,

I have a Bursig stand and I think it's great. It's a little pricey, but the whole bike is easily lifted and then you can spin it around to place it where you want it. Both tires can be removed at the same time as well.

Ray

·
Registered
98 Posts
That does look like an excellent lift. However, at over $600.00 US with the R9t attachment, I’ll need to think long and hard on this one.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Hello Patrick,
I have a Bursig stand and I think it's great. It's a little pricey, but the whole bike is easily lifted and then you can spin it around to place it where you want it. Both tires can be removed at the same time as well.
Ray
Hi Ray, When looking at my Scrambler I can't imagine how a Bursig stand grabs the bike. Either side, right or left, I can't see where it can insert it's pegs and lift. Can you take a pic of how it attaches?
Thanks, Kent

·
Super Moderator
497 Posts
Hi Ray, When looking at my Scrambler I can't imagine how a Bursig stand grabs the bike. Either side, right or left, I can't see where it can insert it's pegs and lift. Can you take a pic of how it attaches?
Thanks, Kent

Hello Kent,

You have to remove a hex nut in the frame and replace it with a new nut that acts as a male pin for the female receiver in the stand. That's the first point of contact and the second point is a contoured Delrin® pin that craddles the tube of the frame.

Here's a shot that shows you are on the left side of the bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find those front and back lifters get in the way when working on a bike, so I've used one of these center stand lifters from Hornig, does the job and doesn't take up a load of space in the garage.

Then one or two of these are a must in any garage, place one under the front forks when you remove the wheel then have another to sit on while working, prevents getting piles from a cold floor.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On my Multistrada I used to reverse the footpegs (invert them) and use a floor jack to lift then axle stands below the pegs to support the bike. Not sure if this is possible with the Urban GS. Mcgiver solutions inc.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hello Kent,

You have to remove a hex nut in the frame and replace it with a new nut that acts as a male pin for the female receiver in the stand. That's the first point of contact and the second point is a contoured Delrin® pin that craddles the tube of the frame. View attachment 127383

Here's a shot that shows you are on the left side of the bike. View attachment 127384
I need to buy me one of these!

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I've had good luck with the Abba stand. Similar principle to the Hornig stand (above), but looks like this:

You can then use a scissor jack and blocks (carefully placed) to raise the front and get the front wheel off the ground, like this:

·
Super Moderator
10,471 Posts
I have the same ABBA stand and can vouch for its versatility. Pretty cheap for the functionality and with a little ingenuity (like @CerealOwner shows) both wheels can be raised off the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Till the Pitbull stand came in, I had cobbled together a stand of sorts made from a length of piping and car chassis supports .
[No worries, I am not going to post pix of what is my patchy engineering :) ]
The Pitbull stand makes maintenance and storage much easier, worth the $340 I paid.
For the Canucks reading this, the Pitbull stand with the R9T spool, was not available on Fortnine, Twisted Throttle, Royal Distributing, Amazon and I got mine from Motostarz. I did not want to risk a purchase from e-bay.
* Moderator, please feel free to redact the "shop" names, if their mention does not fit into forum policies.

"four wheels good, two wheels better"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts