BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some straight talk. I've always had at least one bike in the workshop since the late 60's. Don't know much about the new EFI stuff but handy otherwise, my bikes generally don't go back to the dealer, I look after them. I'm seriously considering a new nineT, I've taken a short dealer test ride and was impressed, but before I jump ...
All bikes have some issues small or large, what can I expect to annoy me or fail on a new nineT?
Cheers, Gasket.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,501 Posts
The R9T is a pretty reliable machine. I've had my 2020 Pure for just over a year now, and it's at 11,000 miles and counting. I've also been on this forum for a little over a year. Both from personal experience and from all the hours spent on the forum, I can say I've not seen any common and repeated issues with these bikes. Some other bikes have electrical issues (like 6th gen. VFR 800s), some leak oil (like older Harleys), etc. but there don't seem to be any common problems with R9Ts. Folks might have an issue once in a while, but we don't see the same issue over and over across all R9Ts.

As for servicing the bike, it's an easy machine to service yourself. I've had the local dealer do a couple services for me, but I've changed my own oil twice and I've installed all my own mods, though a buddy helped me with the suspension swap a couple months ago. I'm planning to do more of my own service as I go. There are some very good guides here of course, but you can also order a Haynes manual.

As for the seat and suspension, they aren't great. The seat is fine for maybe 60-90 minute rides, but after that you'll hate it. I bought a Sargent within a couple weeks of buying my Pure. And the suspension might be fine depending on your weight, riding style, and the road quality where you ride, but maybe budget some money to upgrade it just in case.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Agreed suspension is mostly crap, seat is too hard (On my R Nine T) and mine has a rattle from inside the tank. Paint on frame is not the best quality either.
Agreed...already swapped out rear shock for a Nitron R2 and looking to replace the seat with a Wunderlich Robbie ;-)

Reactions: gasket

·
Registered
2021 R nineT Option 719, Triumph Bobber
36 Posts
I think the front suspension on the standard bike (upside down forks) is actually fairly good. This is on a 2021 model. The rear however is not so good. Mine has the pre-load wound right down, but seems to have negligible sag. However I have a Nitron shock on order to replace this.

Overall the build quality in my view is superb. My bike wont see the inside of a dealer either, but service is pretty simple and maintenance intervals are generally sensible. I will probably get a copy of MotoScan to allow me to reset the service reminders.

·
Registered
Urban G/S
71 Posts
I agree with the above although I have kept the standard seat & with a pair of Moto-Skiveez I'm comfortable for a full day riding.

If you are planning to do your own servicing you'll need a GS-911 to reset the service indicator. (or Android & Motoscan)

The other thing I would call out - depending on the model you buy it may have tubed tyres, for me that would be an issue. My Urban has tubeless.

Also read the posts on the forum about servicing, access to air filter and battery requires removal of the petrol tank, which is time consuming but not difficult.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm at 23k miles on my 2018 and have only changed cosmetic / utility things. It consumes oil, thats about the most annoying thing, but all flat engines do, and you'll go through back brake pads quickly if you are in traffic a lot (I use my rear brake all the time). Other annoyance is the icon for service that needs to be reset with a $300 dongle or a trip to a shop/dealer. It flashes a wrench icon.

Other annoyances: no fuel gauge, no gear indicator on the cheaper models. Doesn't really matter what gear you're in though, lots of torque regardless, but I wish it was geared a bit taller for touring, I'm always looking for a 7th gear.

Fuel injection has been around since the 70s, so it's not really experimental or anything.

The suspension is fine, just basic. The seat is fine if you are under 200lbs, and it gets softer with use just like all upholstery. I've never had issues with either holding me back.

It's a great low maintenance german sledgehammer.

·
Registered
198 Posts
....correct me if I'm wrong. The only year that you can cancel the fault codes without a special tool or using the dealer is the 2014 model year.. Other years you need to take it to the dealer or buy one of them-thar machinee things that you plug in to clear the fault.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to those who have so far commented on my post. Early morning here, a couple of routine jobs to do and I'll then make time to digest and reply. Others, please jump in with your knowledge, I am seriously listening and appreciate all input.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,829 Posts
Reactions: gasket

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have an Urban GS, as soon as bought suspension changed front and rear, seat re-done and a few do dads added, bash plate, bar risers, crash bars etc. Only 15000kms but zero problems, I have three boxers and do my own work, I happily chucked the warranty on this one and it has not seen a shop since I bought it with 1500 kms on it when it was near new. Don't let the fuel injection scare you, it's actually one of the better "modern" things about the bike and likely less potential for roadside dramas than carbs. The earlier advice re tubed/tubeless tyres, absolutely tubeless! What part of Australia are you located?:cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again to those who commented. Rather than reply to each individually I'll briefly comment on the main points so far mentioned.
Basic suspension ... I'm OK with that, over the years I've ridden and raced some truly horrible handling bikes. When adjustability is offered I'll tweak it but I'm also adaptable to ride whatever I find myself on.
Seat comfort ... These days a half day ride with a coffee stop or two is enough for me so my rear end can put up with a hard seat.
Pillion comfort ... A non-issue, my dear wife retired herself from cycling duty.
Paint quality ... I'll take a little longer than usual to inspect before the $'s are handed over.
Common and repeated issues ... That is encouraging, I've owned many bikes that before you take delivery you know what is almost certain to fail (R/R's on Street Triples and VFR's etc).
Time consuming basic servicing ... No problem, retired.
Resetting computer ... Sounds like I come to an arrangement before I purchase or get one of the mentioned dongles.
Tube / Tubeless ... I've been riding spoked tube wheels for a long time but appreciate tubeless. This time if I get spokes again I'll probably do the tape and silicon tubeless conversion.
VAGUEOUT, I'm just south of you north end of The Illawarra.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I think the front suspension on the standard bike (upside down forks) is actually fairly good. This is on a 2021 model. The rear however is not so good. Mine has the pre-load wound right down, but seems to have negligible sag. However I have a Nitron shock on order to replace this.

Overall the build quality in my view is superb. My bike wont see the inside of a dealer either, but service is pretty simple and maintenance intervals are generally sensible. I will probably get a copy of MotoScan to allow me to reset the service reminders.
You won't be disappointed with the Nitron unit....Ive just fitted an R2 + Remote HPA to mine and its the dogs doodahs
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Bicycle tire

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Thanks again to those who commented. Rather than reply to each individually I'll briefly comment on the main points so far mentioned.
Basic suspension ... I'm OK with that, over the years I've ridden and raced some truly horrible handling bikes. When adjustability is offered I'll tweak it but I'm also adaptable to ride whatever I find myself on.
Seat comfort ... These days a half day ride with a coffee stop or two is enough for me so my rear end can put up with a hard seat.
Pillion comfort ... A non-issue, my dear wife retired herself from cycling duty.
Paint quality ... I'll take a little longer than usual to inspect before the $'s are handed over.
Common and repeated issues ... That is encouraging, I've owned many bikes that before you take delivery you know what is almost certain to fail (R/R's on Street Triples and VFR's etc).
Time consuming basic servicing ... No problem, retired.
Resetting computer ... Sounds like I come to an arrangement before I purchase or get one of the mentioned dongles.
Tube / Tubeless ... I've been riding spoked tube wheels for a long time but appreciate tubeless. This time if I get spokes again I'll probably do the tape and silicon tubeless conversion.
VAGUEOUT, I'm just south of you north end of The Illawarra.
On my second boxer, this is a great bike ('17 Scrambler, bought with 600 mi). Adding only a few comments and observations:
Seat (Scrambler bench): max 2 h for me; though the new /5 seat is supposed to be much better. An easy fix for you later.
Resetting computer: that's a must, by dealer or yourself, since even a service indicator will become a pesky irritant and could possibly overlay a warning (ask me how I know...)
Tubeless on spoked rims: Point for BMW! The spoked rims are spoked to the perimeter, so you run tubeless tires. A clever solution.

Cheers from S. Florida, and let us know how you decide.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,501 Posts
For me, it's not that the seat was hard. If anything it was too soft or too thinly padded. Coupled with the soft suspension (too soft for my weight), I felt every little bump on the road, and the big ones got to be kind of painful and traveled right up my spine. Also, after a couple hours the edges of the seat pan would start to dig into my flesh. I bought a Sargent soon after buying my Pure. (I was fortunate on the timing as I got it on sale.) I'd had a Sargent on my VFR for over a decade and loved it. This one isn't as good as what I had on my VFR, but it's still a big improvement on the OEM seat.

The good news is, if you find the original seat uncomfortable it's an easy upgrade. Not cheap, but if and when you're in the market for another seat keep an eye on the forum's classifieds section, as lightly used seats sometimes come up for sale. (Note: You need a minimum of 30 forum posts to use the classifieds here.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
All bikes have some issues small or large, what can I expect to annoy me or fail on a new nineT?
I've put coming up on 56,000 miles on mine in the past 4 years, almost trouble free. I had a stumbling/misfire issue that kept recurring, replaced the ignition coils and fuel pump but it kept happening, then I switched to ethanol free fuel and hasn't happened since. I bought this bike for a high mileage commuter that was easy to work on maintenance wise (no chains, easy access to spark plugs/valves) and its turned out to be one of favorite bikes out of 16-17 bikes or so. Just keep on top of the relatively easy maintenance and there shouldn't be any issues, this engine has been around for quite awhile.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,501 Posts
I've put coming up on 56,000 miles on mine in the past 4 years, almost trouble free. I had a stumbling/misfire issue that kept recurring, replaced the ignition coils and fuel pump but it kept happening, then I switched to ethanol free fuel and hasn't happened since. I bought this bike for a high mileage commuter that was easy to work on maintenance wise (no chains, easy access to spark plugs/valves) and its turned out to be one of favorite bikes out of 16-17 bikes or so. Just keep on top of the relatively easy maintenance and there shouldn't be any issues, this engine has been around for quite awhile.
That's a impressive number of miles, especially on an R9T! Kudos!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts