BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
R nine T Classic 2019
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 classic. I have upgraded the rear shock to Wilbers 642 nightline. That seemed to help a lot. I live in the inner city. I find the bike a little sketchy at slow speed corners where the road surface is uneven. I am wondering if a steering damper up grade might help. Or better technique. Or both.

Can anyone explain what benefits you will get from an upgraded steering damper in addition to stability at high speed. Particularly what are the benefits at low speed.

·
Banned
660 Posts
I have a Hyperpro RSC, it's adjustable and i run it very light, felt sketchy at first compared to the heavy std non adjustable one but i'm used to it now and i barely even remember it's there, high speed stability is a non issue, knobbies and all. Being the RSC it's reactive so under normal use it's barely there but hit a rutted section or pot hole and it firms up instantly it deflects and does it's job perfectly. It's like it's a two stage damping circuit in it.

Any adjustable Damper will suit you better simply because you can set it how you want it, Ohlins make a very good damper, Hyperpro do the RSC and a CSC there are others, some are rebranded Hyperpro CSC versions so do your research, you may be paying extra for their branding...

Don't hang on so tight, be loose on the bike, let it do it's thing under you and that will make as much difference as buying a new adjustable damper, won't wear you out as much either.
IMG_2502.jpeg

Reactions: sp3000

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a Hyperpro RSC, it's adjustable and i run it very light, felt sketchy at first compared to the heavy std non adjustable one but i'm used to it now and i barely even remember it's there, high speed stability is a non issue, knobbies and all. Being the RSC it's reactive so under normal use it's barely there but hit a rutted section or pot hole and it firms up instantly it deflects and does it's job perfectly. It's like it's a two stage damping circuit in it.

Any adjustable Damper will suit you better simply because you can set it how you want it, Ohlins make a very good damper, Hyperpro do the RSC and a CSC there are others, some are rebranded Hyperpro CSC versions so do your research, you may be paying extra for their branding...

Don't hang on so tight, be loose on the bike, let it do it's thing under you and that will make as much difference as buying a new adjustable damper, won't wear you out as much either. View attachment 129571
Crop man, sorry for asking about the RSC again, but I was wondering, can you make it a bit more tight at low speeds... Get it to feel a bit more firm like OEM Damper, since it is adjustable and has a clicker. I get that it's better you don'r feel it at low speeds, that is the hole point of this system. But still can you make it a bit firmer if that's what you wanted ?

·
Registered
R nine T Classic 2019
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Don't hang on so tight, be loose on the bike, let it do it's thing under you and that will make as much difference as buying a new adjustable damper, won't wear you out as much either. View attachment 129571
Thank you crop duster. I might give the not hanging on so tight a try. And if that fails move to technical aides.

·
Banned
660 Posts
y
Crop man, sorry for asking about the RSC again, but I was wondering, can you make it a bit more tight at low speeds... Get it to feel a bit more firm like OEM Damper, since it is adjustable and has a clicker. I get that it's better you don'r feel it at low speeds, that is the hole point of this system. But still can you make it a bit firmer if that's what you wanted ?
Yep, you can,
It has i think 25 or 30 clicks, you can make it almost lock solid if you want to

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
A tighter steering damper makes the bike harder to control at slower speeds. You can't use a light touch, it takes a firmer push/pull to move the bars so you get an over compensation and weave back and forth. Tighter works better at high speeds. The stock non-adjustable damper is very stiff. I took mine off and felt an immediate difference, much easier to turn around in parking lots, much easier to ride in the city traffic. The bike steers lighter, better. So I knew I wanted an adjustable one. It's nice to have a damper when you hit the open roads, and an adjustable one will give you the most benefit because you can get exactly the feel you want. Generally you'll find one setting that you like for everything and leave it there. But if you know you're going to be on the racetrack, or on a Fast highway for a long time it's easy to reach down and crank up the setting. But be careful because when you slow down without loosening the damper setting it can cause you to wobble and crash.

I have the Ohlins and love it, one of the best options I've bought.

·
Registered
451 Posts
IMO, for better control in corners over bumpy roads the core issue to tackle would be the suspension.
Please don't get me wrong, I still believe that in the situation, the adjustable steering damper is a great assist.

"four wheels good, two wheels better"

·
Registered
230 Posts
So 3000 isn't the RSC the version Crop had talked about and installed on his 9T? I was of the opinion CSC is the one that only is adjustable by clicks not the sensitive one which Firm's up at speeds by itself? If you don't mind me asking, how much was this from Willbers and is it the version that Firm's up on it's own?

·
Registered
179 Posts
https://suspensionsrus.com.au/index...duct&path=44_122_124&product_id=539&filter=35

I don't remember the price I paid exactly, but it would be around what they are selling it for now, about AUD570 maybe a little less at the time.

To clarify, Cropduster said the rebranded ones are CSC and that's what I was referring to, my Wilbers is the CSC version, I think you can only buy the RSC with Hyperpro branding. I must admit I didn't do too much research when I bought the damper. I did lots on the rear shock and bought the damper from the same place and they don't stock Hyperpro branded only Wilbers versions. I was happy to match the colour of the shock. I haven't thought about it since, but maybe the RSC would be the pick...I couldn't say. I do like the matching adjustment wheel though!

·
Banned
660 Posts
You are correct i believe, the RSC is only available as a Hyperpro product, the CSC version they rebrand for others,
My RSC is available in the full range of colours but the only option that didn't have the gold rod stopper and knob was the grey version that i ended up getting. I didn't want it looking like a trinket from saturday night fever......

Suspensions R Us are a wilbers agent but they can also get the Hyperpro for you if you want it, they directed me to the suppliers website and i chose what i wanted and had them order it, seeing as they were supplying my Nitron stuff it just made it easier.
And i was happy to support them for the excellent work they did and service they provided.

Reactions: sp3000

·
Registered
179 Posts
Suspensions R Us are a wilbers agent but they can also get the Hyperpro for you if you want it, they directed me to the suppliers website and i chose what i wanted and had them order it, seeing as they were supplying my Nitron stuff it just made it easier.
And i was happy to support them for the excellent work they did and service they provided.
Yeah, I didn't think to ask at the time and as I don't ride very hard I didn't pay a huge amount of attention to the damper, just knew I wanted a lighter feeling one than stock.
Adam at Suspensions R Us was awesome, I can't say enough good things about them, absolutely top notch shop.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Older tread but I think I have either a little issue, or not getting the instructions. I installed the Hyperpro dynamic dampener (RSC) and the way I understand, no matter how you set the dampening, when making normal and small steering adjustments, it should feel as if there is no dampening, they call it “free” in the manual. However, when I adjust it fully clockwise, I can barely ride and steering is way to hard. I think that’s more how the regular linear damper should work, no? I does say RSC on the dampener itself, unless it’s engraved wrong. Can you guys test, set to full clockwise and see how the slow speed steering feels, rock hard or free as described in the manual?

thanks al lot

·
Registered
2019 R Nine T Pure
77 Posts
When you installed the Hyperpro, was it just plug and play, or any adapter kits, or modifcations needed ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
I threw mine away a long time ago. Couldn't see the use. The bike is fine at any speed up to 150MPH and is easier in the city and the esses.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
I threw mine away a long time ago. Couldn't see the use. The bike is fine at any speed up to 150MPH and is easier in the city and the esses.
I had a tank slapper at 160 kph on a CB650. Never want to ride without a damper again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
When you installed the Hyperpro, was it just plug and play, or any adapter kits, or modifcations needed ?

Thanks
Simple plug and play, nothing needed. I also figured out the correct settings and is all good now. So much easier at low speed but still protected against tank slippers, which I experienced years ago on the highway...no fun!

·
Registered
2019 R Nine T Pure
77 Posts
Thank you ...

Simple plug and play, nothing needed. I also figured out the correct settings and is all good now. So much easier at low speed but still protected against tank slippers, which I experienced years ago on the highway...no fun!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts