·
Premium Member
81 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bike design and engineering has come a long way since the late 60's when that bike's essentials were designed. But I can imagine how scary that slapper must have been.

FWIW, I took the damper off my Urban that has its rear raised a bit. The bike is stable upwards of triple digits even on rough pavement. And it feels so much better at low speeds. Emphasis on "FWIW".

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Bike design and engineering has come a long way since the late 60's when that bike's essentials were designed. But I can imagine how scary that slapper must have been.

FWIW, I took the damper off my Urban that has its rear raised a bit. The bike is stable upwards of triple digits even on rough pavement. And it feels so much better at low speeds. Emphasis on "FWIW".
oh, tell that my 2016 Triumph Speedtriple that slapped the heck out of my hands at a little higher than usual speed....tank slappers still exist at newer bikes if the conditions (pothole) are just right!

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I agree with drotor. Experienced twp sever slaps on a f700 GS on the Continental Divide trail when I hit deep sand at 45 mpk while running TKS 70s. No fun at all. Just installed a rebranded hyper pro to the tour tech name, and it is a plug and play install. With a bit stiffer front wheel, counter steering on the highway is as it should be instead of having to continually fight it to keep from wanting to stand up on her own. I'm a fan. And with the hand adjustment, just a reach away to loosen up for slow off road riding.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I’m hard pressed to think they’re needed for road riding on these bikes. Especially the Scrambler and Urban with the big heavy GS wheels. Has anyone who has removed theirs experienced a tank slapper?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've had mine off since I got my Turban in 2018, 34 000 km, no tank slapper.
But like Weschmann says, probably needed more offroad.
It's happened to me once or twice, where I have stopped on an uneven dirt road and the handlebars have fallen quickly to one side, banging against the steering stop.
Steering damper would have helped with that I suppose.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I'll admit to not experiencing a tank slap on the highway, only on gravel road the had patches of serious sand that you couldn't see coming into, mainly because of dust from forward rides. But I have felt some slight head wobble a couple of times that immediately put me on edge of a possible developing slap. Once you go through a couple, the warning signs are pretty apparent.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
CB650? That must have been a wee while ago. Are you comparing that to our beloved ride?

I had a tank slapper at 160 kph on a CB650. Never want to ride without a damper again.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
CB650? That must have been a wee while ago. Are you comparing that to our beloved ride?
Would have been late 80s (bike was 1980 model). Actually pretty comparable. Also a naked roadster. And it’s suspension was better than the stock R9T suspension.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Well, 20,000Kms so far without a trace of a wiggle. The thought of comparing such bikes is somewhat risible I posit.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Well, 20,000Kms so far without a trace of a wiggle. The thought of comparing such bikes is somewhat risible I posit.
Ris away. I prefer riding to rissing.

More seriously, speed wobbles or tank slappers can happen to any bike and any rider.

Google it and in your first five results will be a S1000RR video. Now that bike and the R9T are about as far apart as my CB650 and my R9T.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
I must be doing something wrong then because in my 43 years of riding I've never experienced such a thing.

Ris away. I prefer riding to rissing.

More seriously, speed wobbles or tank slappers can happen to any bike and any rider.

Google it and in your first five results will be a S1000RR video. Now that bike and the R9T are about as far apart as my CB650 and my R9T.

Reactions: gristle

·
Registered
616 Posts
I’d love to see evidence for that claim, that they can happen to most any bike. That certainly doesn’t match the experience of the riders I’ve spoken to or my own. Or my understanding of what causes a wobble (steering geometry, stiffness of suspension, etc).

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
So I guess it's time for a survey from different bike owners. Of tge seven different models I've owned in the past 12 years, only one, a BMW F 700 GS was prone to tank slap. At that was with TKC 70 tires, fully loaded touring and hitting sand over gravel atv45 mph. I have felt solid wobble with my turban on tarmac a couple of times though that had me cautiously concerned. Really love my upgraded touratec dampner.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Once. In 28(?) years and 150,000 miles plus. Husky TE610 when the rear shock was set too soft and I put my feet on the back pegs and accelerated at 75 mph. The bars were ripped from my hands. Which caused the bike to slow and stabilize. Needless to say, I made some adjustments.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
I’d love to see evidence for that claim, that they can happen to most any bike. That certainly doesn’t match the experience of the riders I’ve spoken to or my own. Or my understanding of what causes a wobble (steering geometry, stiffness of suspension, etc).

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts

Main causes appear to be front wheel issues (balance, alignment) or front tyre issues (pressure too high or too low) rather than frame or suspension geometry.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts