BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RnineT
78 Posts
Thanks for the info about the BMW car horn that is a straight fit! I just bought this same model one that comes with free shipping and looks like it's in good condition:

I completed this horn swap yesterday. Bought horn on eBay for $12 and it was a direct plug and play as described. Took a bit of fiddling to get it properly situated. Lifting the front of the tank was necessary but easy to do. Much more robust and louder sound. Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
486 Posts
I completed this horn swap yesterday. Bought horn on eBay for $12 and it was a direct plug and play as described. Took a bit of fiddling to get it properly situated. Lifting the front of the tank was necessary but easy to do. Much more robust and louder sound. Thanks for the tip.
Mine is installed already as well. It is tight but it is doable and the voice of the bike is no longer ridiculous.

·
Registered
2020 Classic
18 Posts

This is what I fitted. Straight swap, tank bolts loosened but not removed and some skinned knuckles but done in about 15 minutes and massively louder. The plug is the same so no splicing or changing of connectors.
Thank a bunch, I'm gonna give this a try. Too embarrassed to honk with the standard horn!

·
Registered
2020 Classic
18 Posts
Swapped my horn out today. I went for Zanderk's solution in the end, coz I like easy and coz I couldn't bear the thought of something not new and shiny on my bike :)

From my point of view the new horn sounds much better, but I don't think it's actually any louder. It's just a much nicer tone. In fact I just checked specs on the web and it looks like both the stock horn (Clarton E9) and the one I bought (Fiamm Am80SL) are rated the same at 107 db.

While I was at it I looked up the Denali soundbomb mini, which is a fair bit louder at 113 db, and the Denali soundbomb which must be loud as balls at 120 db!

Maybe useful info for others considering this mod.

·
Registered
2021 R nineT Option 719, Triumph Bobber
191 Posts
I have also taken the Zanderk route. I had a pair of Fiamm hi and lo tone horns on the Triumph powered by a relay so I used one of these. Though I didn't have Zanderk's patience to fit the Fiamm in place of the oem unit. I just used the bracket that came with the Fiamm as there is a convenient hole in the frame and left the factory horn in place.

·
Registered
2020 Classic
18 Posts
I have also taken the Zanderk route. I had a pair of Fiamm hi and lo tone horns on the Triumph powered by a relay so I used one of these. Though I didn't have Zanderk's patience to fit the Fiamm in place of the oem unit. I just used the bracket that came with the Fiamm as there is a convenient hole in the frame and left the factory horn in place.
One small advice from my personal experience, be very careful now about water getting into the horn. If yours is like mine the "ear" of the horn is now angled slightly upwards, and water collects there after a wet ride or washing the bike. If water is sitting in there the sound is affected and it will trash the horn very quickly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
One small advice from my personal experience, be very careful now about water getting into the horn. If yours is like mine the "ear" of the horn is now angled slightly upwards, and water collects there after a wet ride or washing the bike. If water is sitting in there the sound is affected and it will trash the horn very quickly.
mine is also mounted like Zanderk's but i drilled a small hole at the bottom of the spiral so water drains properly if any gets in there.

·
Registered
2018 Urban GS
116 Posts
Question to the gents who installed the Denali Mini Soundbomb on the Urban GS using the original bracket. Did you manage to install it with the opening facing down? Best I could do is facing it to the side. Just wondering if I'm missing a trick?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
I'm practically blushing when using the horn – it sounds like I stole it from a kid's bicycle or go-cart. So I got one of the BMW X3 horns. But how do I get this
Wood Gas Household hardware Auto part Hardwood

into this?
Sky Vehicle Ecoregion Tire Motor vehicle

I'm baffled on how to get the stock horn out and this X3 horn dropped it?

Do I have to take the tank off? Zanderk referred to raising the front of the tank – what steps do I follow to do that? (Searched the site, couldn't find results).

Sorry if I sound dense and/or inept, but a lot of things that had been comparatively easy on my 1150R (replace starter, exchange horn etc.) seem to be more involved; seems mostly due to much tighter packaging.

TIA!

·
Registered
2021 R nineT Option 719, Triumph Bobber
191 Posts
I left my stock horn in situ and bolted the new one on with a bracket just behind the oil cooler. Getting the oem horn our looked like more trouble than its worth. I picked up an extension cable to feed the new horn from the original feed. I pretty sure you will need to lift the tank to get the oem horn out.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
@Parkblu I was in the same boat as you and like @Bobber101 ended out choosing a new mounting point for my PIAA horns where the flapper valve servo motor used to live.

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

I am sure plenty braver souls than I have successfully mounted them where the original horn is sited and hope someone helps you out.

·
Registered
2021 Nine T Pure 719 Aluminum
111 Posts
Personally I think the stock horn is a safety risk, when people tried to turn into me on the freeway, there was no way they could hear my little "beep beep".

I went with the Denali Sound Bomb and now they actually can hear me, have used it twice successfully and didn't have any road rage response--was being used defensively though.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
5,411 Posts

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
And here I consider myself such a good researcher :LOL: – Right. Why on earth I didn't find these threads is beyond me. Perhaps I wrote the search query wrong, e.g. using the German word "tank"instead of the English "tank"?

(Being goofy, but they are the same – no misspelling here).

In any case, many thanks, Captain!!

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
@Bobber101 and @BaldyDave – thank you both so much.

I'll check the scope of a swap via raising the tank, otherwise I'll follow your suggestion and mount the second horn in a different location. On my 1150R I had added one to the OEM, but that bike had enough space to mount them on one bracket.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts