BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we explore the removal of the suction silencer and air filter housing? According to this picture, it's a project worth undertaking.

I find the housing for the air filter bulky and hugly. Looking at the RSA software, it takes a massive amount of work to remove it.... 33 work hours plus the disassembling of most of the rear components, including drive shaft, brake lines......

In addition, there is an air temperature sensor incorporated into the housing. I am not aware of any other systems incorporated into the suction silencer.

My post goes to discuss the removal of such part of the nineT and the installation of after market filters on each cylinder, maybe K&N or else.

There is the need to determine if remapping is needed and also how the relocate the air temperature sensor and perhaps other systems I am not aware of. Besides that, then is the need to explore a relocation for the battery.... Maybe a lithium ion battery.....

Saludos from Bogotá, Colombia.

XT1200Z/2014
WR250F/2014
BMW 9T/2015

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
It is believed that this mod would be purely visual improvement and will do nothing, or possibly opposite, for ridebility.
Probably, along with reduced engine life.

The snorkel forced air in which adds to performance.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
I do very much hate the look of the snorkel. Did not even look at Multistrada cuz of the stupid beak.
I love it. It depicts performance of NA engine :D

Reactions: markh

·
Registered
633 Posts
I do very much hate the look of the snorkel. Did not even look at Multistrada cuz of the stupid beak.
I like the snorkel on our bike(and I can't see removing it as a good option, the tank is cut to make room for it so if you remove it it will be unbalanced), but I agree on the multistrada. That beak has to go, I'm not riding a **** bird.

·
Registered
633 Posts
A local tuner here is doing a 9T project that I have had the fortune to watch. His solution to removal of the air box was simple. Freeze it and smash it into lots of little plastic bits. Sure beats splitting the bike in Two.
That's a neat trick. Reading the first post I quickly decided the stock airbox was just fine considering the 33 man hours to get it out, lol!

·
Registered
483 Posts
There is somebody in German Forum who has already removed it !

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If one decides to remove the air box, the snorkel can be left or can be replaced.

I love the look of the snorkel......

In our particular example bike, problema was solved with a cover

XT1200Z/2014
WR250F/2014
BMW 9T/2015

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
As an starter, I found this pal who had modified a R1150R.it seems to me he has done a great job for relocating the air temperature sensor, the crankcase ventilation hose (wrongly called PCV) and the A/F manipulations using greenroots methods.

This can be a great reference for this post.

http://www.r1150r.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21772

XT1200Z/2014
WR250F/2014
BMW 9T/2015

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is believed that this mod would be purely visual improvement and will do nothing, or possibly opposite, for ridebility.
I agree with you. It will be needed to read spark plugs, change timing, etc.

I am suspecting many of the workshops modifying motorcycles for customers or else, are doing it for pure cosmetological reason with none or little care for performance or engine longevity.

But is just an unsupported claim! Just gossip.

XT1200Z/2014
WR250F/2014
BMW 9T/2015

·
Registered
246 Posts
This seems to add more area for dirt to get into. The rear wheel is already kicking up enough stuff into the rear shock area, I can't imagine what that area would like like after a ride in the rain.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts