BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
That could work if you didn't want to remove the air box. I ordered a couple of filters like those to run some tests on my 2017 with a scan tool so I can monitor how much the ECU is adapting to the increase in air into the motor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I removed my airbox and besides the induction noise haven’t noticed any loss of power or problems. It was the most recent of a number of modifications that could effect performance. I’ve installed a booster plug, catless headers, trumpet exhaust, and removed the flapper. With the exhaust changes I did notice a little less engine breaking but no real change in power. I haven’t dynoed the bike so this is just from my impressions but I definitely have looked for any loss (or gain) and haven’t noticed it. There has been a number of super positive handling improvements but I don’t want to hijack the thread. I am happy with the airbox change which in my opinion is
aesthetic.

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
I ran some butt dyno tests after work and I really like the way this bike rides with just the filters instead of the whole airbox. It doesn't have as much of that 3-5K RPM torque but it feels like it really spins up through the RPM's quick. Without a dyno, my best guess right now is that with just the filters, there's a drop in the torque curve throughout the lower RPMs but an increase in HP in the higher RPMs. I'm searching for a place to Dyno the bike both ways over the next month.

Here are a couple of quick photos with the cheap filters I found locally. I'm going to order some nice K&N filters for when I actually remove the Airbox.

Attachments

·
Registered
R9T Scrambler
53 Posts
The snorkel make it look more modern as with the example bike it looks more classic, I like both. my greatest concern with the air filter elements exposed would be wet weather riding or dusty days, it seems this will need a bit more maintenance.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The snorkel make it look more modern as with the example bike it looks more classic, I like both. my greatest concern with the air filter elements exposed would be wet weather riding or dusty days, it seems this will need a bit more maintenance.
I completely understand your thoughts on the water and dust getting on the filters. I plan to have the K&N filters with an angle in the end so the filter is neatly tucked just under the frame to keep it out of the rain but the ease of cleaning and oiling a K&N filter that can be simply removed with one clamp is much better than having to raise the tank and removea bunch of screws and bolts. I ride year round and on dirt roads and I don't see how it will change anything about how I ride.

·
Registered
2015 R Nine T
40 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm about to jump into removing the airbox with a Dremel and put some KN filters on. Using the PCC kit. does anyone have any recommendation on how to go about attacking the airbox? do you just go after it until it doesn't exist? I'm excited and terrified at the same time..... Thanks!

61 - 68 of 68 Posts