BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, in order to prepare a mini emergency kit for travels, I was looking for buying some spare bulbs for the front light (one standard H4 lamp and the smaller 'position' 5W light) and got stuck looking for the same thing for the rear (LED) light. So I discovered BMW sells the whole rearset and that on realoem there's no smaller component. So there's no such a thing as a single led 'bulb' available for it? Neither non BMW part?

Administrator
I've not done this so this is simply an opinion...

You can't easily replace the rear LED bulbs in the tail. They are not designed to be user-replaced. Probably you'd need to de-solder the connections, then replace the faulty LED (there are a few in a line, probably soldered onto a circuit board).

My view is that the LED tail unit will be very unlikely to fail and personally I wouldn't carry a spare LED assembly for general riding around or even touring unless you're planning to circumnavigate the globe.

Filament bulbs are a different matter and I always carried a set with me if I was touring anywhere (or had a set in the garage otherwise). Some countries (like France) require that you carry a spare set of bulbs by law (but I doubt this would include LED units as most can't be user replaced).

Reactions: Alligator

Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Registered
On the other side, altough it is unlikely for a LED unit to fail, it is possible for the LED unit to get smashed or broken. Just my pesimistic 2 cents :geek:

Registered
They can get damaged from excessive shaking and rattling as well. On my Urban one of the LED's is very dim. Thankfully it is still under warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts