BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
I ordered a set of OEM pads along with my hump since I was getting 10% off. I have yet to put them on though.

I have been working on my riding from including squeezing the tank with my knees and I am afraid that I may have grit in my riding pants and end up scratching so the pads will go on.
I just ordered the Wunderlich ones and have the OEM installed. If you wanna return the ones you bought, you can have mine for $20.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
They have not shipped yet. Let me see if I can cancel them.
Thanks anyway but they had already shipped. Paid $42 for them and they had to order so if I return I have to pay a 15% restock fee ($6.30) plus return shipping ($8.00) plus a trip to the post office... Not worth it.

If you want to unload them, try eBay of the FS section here. I appreciate the offer though!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Put on the BMW pads and love them! Was able to take the risers off as I am better able to grip the tank with my knees which takes the weight off my wrists. I thought I would have to adjust them to be at the right position for my knees but with BMW template had them positioned perfectly.

I'm happy with the functionality and the look as they match my engine guards. Now I just need a tail tidy...

·
Registered
644 Posts
I screwed up. I did not appropriately prepare the surface of the tank. Evidently there was some oil on one side of my tank that was not noticeable. I applied the pads one evening and next morning one was on the floor. I reapplied after cleaning the tank but once again it fell off. Does any one know of an adhesive that can be applied by spray that would work ? I like the look I just can’t seem to make them permanent.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure on adhesives. I put the tank pads on last week, hated the look, they did not fit my knees at all (too high on tank), so I took them off. They did provide a small amount of knee traction on tank, but I'm not missing it and I thought they looked weird.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have to say that I was immediately drawn to the proportion and aesthetic of the Wunderlich pad. How it breaks up the large silver panel and the lines seem to be just right to my eye. Waiting for warmer weather to install my set.

A fun video on how they're made:

Pics from earlier in the thread

·
Registered
644 Posts
Why doesn’t the bottom angle of the pads match the lower angle of the tank and the three indents?

It’s maddening.
😂
Your right Gristle, my eye does the same thing. I’m the same way about pictures hanging on the wall, if they are not symmetrical it bugs me. Did you notice that even the hand made leather ones are the same way. Just off by enough to bug me. Why can’t the designer see that ? Is there some standard templet thats off as well. I love the idea of the knee grips, especially at speed and I agree with Nervous that it breaks up the big aluminum panel on the tank I just wish that the symmetry that began with the edges of the tank would continued with the indents ... that’s not to much to ask for on a bike that’s ALL about symmetry and proportion. I’m going to take a shot at trimming my set to fit. I’ve found an adhesive I think will work but I need to get them on perfectly because I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to get them back off even if I wanted to. Picts to follow in a few days. I like the leather ones too but I’d like to know what material is the backing, and what is the fill, foam how stiff is it and how long before they begin to sag ? Maybe never, who knows ? I’m going with the rubber, I think it grips my knees better.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Great, now I’ll never look at them the same. Haha
Sorry Boomer, I’ve been measuring things for so long I can tell you their measurements from six feet away + or - an 1/8”. Sometimes it’s a curse, but it’s handy when I forget my tape measure.

·
Registered
2017 R NineT Scrambler
25 Posts
I've been thinking of maybe cutting my own from some silicone sheets, has anyone made their own pads?

Ok, seems silicone is not viable since you have to chemically bond it.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts