BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned this in another thread earlier. No matter how hard we try, we are going to scratch out tank paint, with plastic zippers, metal zippers, key chains, or whatever. I have very minute scratches on the tank, after only a week. I purchased some 3m material to protect the tank, but I just don't like the looks. (and I am good at installing it too). Does anyone have a suggestion on a good Carbon fiber, Leather, or rubber tank protector for the first 3-6 inches of the tank from the seat? I have looked at items online, and so far I am not impressed.

BTW, I am putting a small 3m piece on the tank until something more desirable shows up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi rkevwill
Had the same problem on hp2 sport tank
Everything I seen was tackiness. .
In the end I used some clear silicone 12mm pads.
They are the type found in diy stores.
Been on now for 4 years and look great.
They stand off by about 3mm.
I didn't want the types with carbon look plastic or names embossed on them.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
I've installed a couple pieces of Zagg Invisible Shield I cut out to fit. One by the key, one by the lower center part by the seat where my jacket might rub and the lead for my Gerbings comes out. I had an extra kit for a MacBook Pro laying around I cannibalized, used it for years on laptops with great success, but am impressed by how it completely disappears on the tank. It was developed for military helicopter blade protection, now being used on a nineT!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I've installed a couple pieces of Zagg Invisible Shield I cut out to fit. One by the key, one by the lower center part by the seat where my jacket might rub and the lead for my Gerbings comes out. I had an extra kit for a MacBook Pro laying around I cannibalized, used it for years on laptops with great success, but am impressed by how it completely disappears on the tank. It was developed for military helicopter blade protection, now being used on a nineT!
From military use to a NineT....it only makes sense, the NineT is just as badass as some military vehicles

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try one out. I sure don't like the surface of the 3m material. I only need a piece the size of the iPhone, perhaps smaller.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The Zagg Invisible Shield you used is the same stuff they sell for iPhone screen protectors?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sort of hate to say it but the leather look strap that holds on the BMW tank bag (which I don't particularly care for) looks really good when the bag is off and meets all of your protection criteria. Suppose the tank bag would be good to when you need it too.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have the tank bag ( and the strap of course ), and I can tell you it is a fantastic solution for me as a daily commuter. It packs a ipad, surface pro 2, pocketdrives, DVDs, mail, Tylenol, lunch, books, and more...

And what's even better, its exactly what Thomcat says, its protects against buckle scratches and the like.

Some might say that it will rub some finish off the tank, well I was told it would not ( and that was by someone who has ALWAYS used BMW brand tank bags ) but since I'm not a freak about scratches and wear ( its a motorcycle for jeepers sake, not a museum piece) I don't care.

·
Registered
748 Posts
mine is still backorder.... should arrive next week...hopefully...
I use the tankbag on my GS since years and many many long tours. Up to now, no scratch at all...

Reactions: Bonkorama

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Gerry, your going to really like it I believe. I put a scrap on mine, so I can sling it over the shoulder as needed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
that's the best protection against scratches. I've never bought such a protection for two reasons :
- even if well made, I don t like the look
- I prefer spend my money elsewhere (clipons for the ninet)

and my protection against scratches is dual :
- be careful
- use from time to time a polish paste

but to be honest, this bagster bag is not that bad, considering the look of the tank is quite respected, compared to the one for my current bike.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just email TheTankSlapper.biz - The Product and if someone is willing to let him measure the bike, he will make the sheets. They are in:
Pacific Auto Trim
P.O. BOX #460951
ESCONDIDO, CA, 92046

Phone: 760-739-0100
Fax: 760-741-9325
Email:
Lucas' product is great. Been talking to him ever since I got a delivery date from BMW in February. He says he needs to borrow a bike for measurements. Can anybody help out? The tankslappers he designs will be great. My tank is already showing scuffs. (Black shows every mark.)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just got an email from Lucas at Tankslapper.biz

His website should have kits early next week. Again, I highly recommend. If you use your knees a lot, consider getting the 3M film.

Reactions: Bonkorama
1 - 20 of 75 Posts