BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
MOD EDIT

Doesn't everybody just love a good ol' fuel thread? ;)

We have a few on the site as they do tend to break out sporadically, you might have noticed...

So in an attempt to put all the....erm...varied...opinions in one place we've merged some!

ENJOY! :)

END EDIT

Hi guys,

Curious what RON fuel you using ? the manual states to try and use higher RON types.

Cheers

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
98RON at city pumps, but often on touring in country 95RON as that's all that's available. Min recommended is 95RON which is actually fine and won't knock. On these engines it isn't going to make a difference, just stay at or above 95RON.

Can't recall if the 9T engine has a knock sensor, but the R1200GSA had a knock sensor that would allow low 91RON due to traveling to remote areas.

Reactions: RichardR9T

·
Registered
442 Posts
The US 9T manual specifies 98 ROZ/RON and 91 AKI (US uses AKI ratings) with 95 ROZ/RON and 89 AKI being acceptable. So apparently the engine computer system can make some adjustment though not a heck of a lot.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Whatever the highest is where i fill up
Agree with last post .. No sense buying a premium product and then feeding it rubbish

·
Registered
551 Posts
Whatever the highest is where i fill up
Agree with last post .. No sense buying a premium product and then feeding it rubbish
Ok, I'll bite. What is rubbish, and why is it rubbish?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Ron filled my tank on the way to work today. I suppose Ron used SHELL fuel as this is the gas station i was at. And unless Ron screwed up it was 91 as this is the highest grade of piss we can get here in USA CA.

When i lived in NY there used to be 95 at some Sunoco pumps. I would have had Ron pump that if it was available

·
Registered
442 Posts
If a BMW R9T needs 91 (US) octane to get the most from the engine (which is the case per BMW), putting in fuel with higher octane does nothing useful. You are not doing something "good" for your engine, you are just paying more money for fuel to get identical performance.

That being said, depending on the area, there may be no option but to use higher-than-necessary octane. For example, in Mexico there are two gasoline grades - regular (US 87) and Premium (US 93). 87 is too low per BMW so the only option is 93.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Cheapo 95 ron supermarket fuel for starters
Anyway it was a figure of speech, so you can climb down from your high horse, stop biting and relax :x
I´m sitting comfortably in my couch, thanks. Don´t even own a horse, and that´s no figure of speech.

In standard form this engine is made to live off of cheapo 95 RON supermarket fuel. Feeding it anything more expensive is just fattening some oil executives wallet and thinning your own.

·
Registered
551 Posts
And if someone is falling for the marketing hype of "power" fuels, here is a quick and dirty test made by the TV show Fifth Gear.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ok landski thankyou for correcting me, its really appreciated and much fun.

All my toys (cars bikes jetskis) have always had the good stuff put in them and will continue to do so

Good luck at the supermarket bud

·
Registered
160 Posts
By the way, heres a snip from the handbook, page 114 (sorry its a bit dim)
If I'm not mistaken, it suggests 98 ron for best performance, with an alternative of 95 ron with possible side effects

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
used to fill up only with higher octane - used the std stuff in error one day & never switched back - bike runs so much smoother on the stuff - no idea why, no expert - try it & offer feedback (bike runs non-std headers, mufflers, PCV, no lambdas, professionally dyno-tuned)

1 - 20 of 119 Posts