BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delighted to announce that after many months of work, the Dart classic flyscreen is now available for the RnineT!

It wasn't an easy design process, but we're delighted with the result - the bracket is really discreet, and almost invisible when installed, so the screen appears to float without any fixings.

Cheers!

·
Administrator
11,520 Posts
Look what arrived in the post yesterday... Top marks to Nik and Dart Flyscreens for next day delivery! The item was well packaged and the screen came in a nice presentation box. Means nothing as regards the screen itself, but I always think first impressions mean something...

"Out of the box" impressions are of a very well made product. The custom mounting bracket is made of steel, seems well-engineered and is nicely powder-coated with no sharp edges.

The screen itself has a high quality feel about it and is made of thick polycarbonate material (I'd guess about 5mm thick).

The instructions make it seem like a straightforward job. Its recommended that you disconnect the headlight from the bottom yoke to give you room to fix the screen bracket to the stock instrument mounting bracket (mounting method seems like a very neat idea). However for owners using the Roland Sands instrument surround there might be mounting issues if the RS kit comes with it's own custom mounting bracket. Obviously no problem for bikes with the stock instrument console and bracket!

@NikHeydel do I have your permission to post the mounting instructions on the forum? Might help members decide whether to buy the screen or not.

I'll report back when I've had time to install the screen. Might do some/all of it today, but I've got a party to go to later, so it might take a while to post any progress depending on how sore my head is! ;)

EDIT - You might want to know that I have the light tint screen, there are two darker tints also available.

Reactions: amac9 and aha9t

·
Administrator
11,520 Posts
Screen Installed

Well a very leisurely 90 minutes in the garage and the screen was installed. Pretty easy to be honest. The way the bracket installs onto the bottom of the instrument bracket is a marvel of engineering.

Proper DIY install thread with pictures will be in the pipeline, but the instructions supplied are pretty good and didn't have me guessing.

A couple of photos:

So far I'm happy with the result! :D

Reactions: JamesM and kebo

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks great! Can't wait until mine comes in

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
yep - a few days ago I took out my wife's Ducati Scrambler on which I installed the Dart last year > noticeable less wind pressure on chest area. Just ordered the Dart for my 9T.

Thanks Steve & Nik for coming up with a great & elegant bracket design - and that substantial discount, much appreciated!

Hey Nik, do you even see Steve in your workshop - or is he glued to the seat of his 9T? haha

cheers Chris

btw, thanks Baldy for posting those pictures :)

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Just back from a weekend away ride with GS riders and we were running speeds of 160kph. The Rizoma screen does stop the helmet lift I had with the stock setup. The WL screen was far better though. Rider height and position is going to vary results though.

For me though the only screen that look marginally ok is the Rizoma. I will only put it on for touring though as IMO still looks better in naked form.

Personally think any screen detracts from the 9T's looks. It is difficult to have that 'cool' factor and remain functional though. Wish someone would make the RSD concept style fairing... sigh!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Personally think any screen detracts from the 9T's looks.
Maybe that's a strong case for Dart introducing a completely clear screen option for the R9?

Dart (Nik)......over to You!!:)

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Maybe that's a strong case for Dart introducing a completely clear screen option for the R9?

Dart (Nik)......over to You!!:)
Looking at the design of the Dart screen, I'd certainly say it will reduce buffeting. Also the attachment to the cluster is far neater than all the other options.

It isn't aesthetically pleasing to my eye though. The 9T needs a fairing design similar to this....

·
Administrator
11,520 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yep - a few days ago I took out my wife's Ducati Scrambler on which I installed the Dart last year > noticeable less wind pressure on chest area. Just ordered the Dart for my 9T.

Thanks Steve & Nik for coming up with a great & elegant bracket design - and that substantial discount, much appreciated!

Hey Nik, do you even see Steve in your workshop - or is he glued to the seat of his 9T? haha

cheers Chris

btw, thanks Baldy for posting those pictures :)
Can't take any credit for the design, Steve is the brains behind it and in all honesty, I still get amazed when the final products are in front of me. :dizzy:

Haha you would have thought! Most of the time he's busy designing concepts for new models in his head and then out of the blue pops out a genius design like for the 9T!

:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I duly received the screen I ordered, and have to say I'm VERY impressed.

The parcel arrived through the post well protected, the boxed screen was firstly bubble wrapped and then inserted inside another box....so minimum chance of it being damaged in transit.

First impressions mean a lot....so even the box the screen comes in is high quality and very well presented....and when opened you find the contents are exactly the same.

The screen, bracket and fixings are all well above what I was expecting, the quality and finish are absolutely top notch, and simply couldn't be higher than they already are, IMHO. Even the instruction sheet oozes class.....no cheapo illegible photocopied bits of paper from Dart, unlike what you get with some aftermarket accessories!!

This is my first Dart screen, and I would have no hesitation in buying again in the future, or recommending them wholeheartedly.

Lastly, I'd like to say I have no connection with Dart whatsoever, apart from being a very happy and highly impressed customer.

Reactions: BaldyDave

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've seen the Dart flyscreen on the Triumph and it impressed me with its quality.

I'm hoping they come out with the slightly larger Marlin version. I would be first to buy one if they did....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just got my Screen in the mail! Easily is the best packaged part I have ever got in the mail for all my motorcycles! I'll install and post a pic as I got the midnight tint screen.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok I installed my midnight tint screen. Love it!! I found it very easy to install and completed in about 30 minutes (That included stopping to drink a beer or two) So some quick pics here as its 0200 and stupid hot in my garage.

·
Administrator
11,520 Posts
Reactions: amac9

·
Registered
50 Posts
Scrambler Windsreens?

Has anyone found or had any luck with windsreens specifically for the Scrambler? I have been searching but with the traditonal style forks on the Scrambler, the ones for the standard R nineT will not fit. Seems MRA and Powerbronze have one but don't seem available yet. Looking for one about 9 to 12 inches high.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts