BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Height

Nice. How high beyond the top of the fork's bolt does it extend?

The UGS is almost 7" and I can tell a significant difference riding with and without the screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found that Dart will sell the brackets for their screens separately, so was able to re use the "classic" I fitted to my old Bonneville T120 on the Scrambler. A big thumbs up to them for that.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Rode about 140 mi (286km) yesterday, half of that in blustery head wind of up perhaps 20-25 mph. That was more of a nuisance and tiring than I remembered and anticipated, having ridden naked as well as windshielded bikes – Triumph Tiger, R 1150R naked, with fly screen and with windshield, various Hondas.

Looks like the next farkle will be a windshield, current favourite being the Dart Flyscreen. It seems the Dart really is "function over form" and not the other way around, from what BaldyDave wrote and what I can read on Dart's site.

Any recent experiences you would care to share?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have the regular Dart Classic Flyscreen and it does an alright job of keeping the wind off my chest. It's no cruiser bike windscreen though. Most days I don't mind the wind I do have but on a really bad weather day, It would be nicer to have a larger one. I do think that if you were looking for a bike with a larger windscreen, I would have chosen an F800/850GS or even an R1200GS. On the really nasty rainy days, I do with I had an R1200GS fairing and windscreen to hide behind.

Here's the front of mine with the Dart Classic Winscreen.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've mostly owned naked bikes. I'm 6'1" and even when I rented a K1600GTL, I wasn't super impressed with the windscreen, always a bit of annoying turbulence. It does keep the bugs of the jacket and visor but aside from that, the best windscreen I've ever experienced was having none at all. Yes you get more wind, but it's turbulence-free and it also helps reminding you how fast your going. Going 250km/h tucked in on a sports bike is a walk in the park, on a naked, it feels like someone is trying to rip your helmet off from above. It helps compensate for my lack of self-control.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
@sturgeon: The Dart looks really good on the bike, but even better and more important is that it seems to work at higher speeds, taking a bit of pressure off at upper speeds; same what BaldyDave reported. Which is exactly what I'm looking for.
@TwoShoes: To clarify: I chose the Scrambler on purpose after much research and riding, vs. say an R or a GS (coming from a Tiger with a relatively large screen, an 1150R and various Honda Shadow cruisers, all unfaired and unscreened. – Yes: the follies of a faded youth...)

S. Florida is not really interesting riding territory, so you often have to shuttle to the (slightly) nicer roads. With average traffic speed typically 75+ mph on interstates, and 70+ on divided four-lane highways, a bit of relief on faster sections will be ideal.

Thanks all for your input.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I have installed a Dart Classic Flyscreen

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,471 Posts
And here's the light tint Dart Fly Screen installed on my 9T... :) Old pic but you'll get the idea!

41 - 60 of 76 Posts