BMW NineT Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
My MRA screen. Winter roads meant I’ve not tried it too much yet but fit was good and one ride did feel as if protection is going to be better.
@Scooter Paul: is yours the MRA model NTM? Something like 28cm high, 38cm wide?

I'm between the MRA and the Dart Classic, and would love to hear how the MRA screen fares, especially at highway speed (or even "Autobahn speed"?)

TIA!

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,652 Posts
Guys I merged the screen thread from the Scrambler section with this one. Good to keep all scrambler screen resources in one place, plus the Scrambler section is really only intended for general discussion about the Scrambler. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Guys, is it standard practice to bolt the screen to the upper fork clamps, the clamps on the ends of the bracket that mounts the fork to the bike frame?
I am concerned that the screen bracket might be acting as a washer in a less desirable place, messing with the fork/clamp torque values.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Guys, is it standard practice to bolt the screen to the upper fork clamps, the clamps on the ends of the bracket that mounts the fork to the bike frame?
I am concerned that the screen bracket might be acting as a washer in a less desirable place, messing with the fork/clamp torque values.

I think you're over thinking this. The Dart Flyscreen mounts where the dials mount. Adding a washer as you say doesn't change the torque values at all.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think you're over thinking this. The Dart Flyscreen mounts where the dials mount. Adding a washer as you say doesn't change the torque values at all.

You might be right... and the dials mount is a much better position.

I bout a brushed-alu Rizoma screen clone from ebay. It came with well made brackets, but they mount to the fork end clamps.
The fork clamping bolts are nicely recessed into the mount... I guess I must check the length of the bolts, so there is enough meat to torque it to the correct spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts

In my opinion mounting a screen (or anything else for that matter) to the yoke/fork bolts is a bad idea, and that's why we at Dart don't do it. The bolt's job is to apply constant pressure to a cylindrical component and as such it is tightened to a torque value only, without having a positive 'stop' (a datum in engineering terms). It's not good practice to use this as a place for attaching other components, though I'm aware some do, including some manufacturers.

Our screen is mounted to the yoke via the instrument bracket mounting points - they're much less critical and have a proper datum.

Steve Sleddon
Dart Flyscreens Ltd

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just fitted the dart flyscreen and so far I am very impressed. I think it looks like a factory fitted screen. Good quality and although a bit fiddly to install everything fits well. I haven't ridden with it yet but I imagine it should shunt the wind up a bit.

·
Super Moderator
10,652 Posts
Nice post @conncarr ! There's been a few Dart screen threads that I'd been meaning to merge and your post just reminded me of this. I've merged some of the threads together, including yours. Now most of the Dart screen (only) posts are in one nice bite-sized chunk of Dart screen-ness!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I fitted the Dart Flyscreen to my 2015 R Nine T. It gives a surprising amount of protection for its size. I used to get helmet lift at 120 kph now get to 150 kph for the same effect. On the down side, it reflects engine noise but this is a small price to pat for the added comfort. Definitely recommend it.

·
Super Moderator
10,652 Posts
Cam't say I've noticed increased engine noise, but it's probably drowned out by by bleedin' loud exhaust system! :ROFLMAO:

I do agree with the significant reduction in wind pressure to the helmet and upper chest area, never regretted buying mine!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I fitted the Dart Flyscreen to my 2015 R Nine T. It gives a surprising amount of protection for its size. I used to get helmet lift at 120 kph now get to 150 kph for the same effect. On the down side, it reflects engine noise but this is a small price to pat for the added comfort. Definitely recommend it.
I agree about the increased engine noise. I did a long run (100 miles, lol) the other day and I thought that the engine sounded a bit tappety. I think that this might be reflected noise. I'm pretty sure that the engine is fine, its only done 1000 miles .... The screen does look great and help with the wind though so it stays!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you done the install on a bike like mine with the single speedo dial? How many of the cable ties had to be removed?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Giving thi sone a bump in teh hopes someone might know the answer to this please.

I just purchased a lovely used Dart Classic screen from a very accommodating forum member. Installing on a 2015 Classic. Looking things over, cleaning and polishing pre install. Great shape and just about ready to go. But, in reviewing a couple threads to brush up on the install procedure I found something interesting. The spacers that came with this unit are quite different from what I see in a few places and referenced in the install instructions at the Dart site.

This is the hardware I received. I knew that he 5mm x 30mm hex screws were replaced. No issue there. But, its the spacers that jave me concerned. All four measure 14mm dia x 10mm high, all four are the same:

The ones that seem to come standard are both shouldered, at two different heights, as follows:
2 x aluminum bushes (15mm)
2 x aluminum bushes (12mm)

So, all mine are shorter and non shouldered. Was this a variation for some models/years?

I suppose I could add additional spacers to make up the difference but would like to knwo more before I start taking things apart.

2/13/20 EDIT: I contacted DART and they send me this bit of info

"It sounds as if you have bought for the 2017+ which requires the four smaller spacers. Pre 2017 have 4 spacers but two different sizes which you require for your model 2015."

So, there are two different styles and they were very responsive and accommodating in arranging the correct spacers to be sent. Those and a new matching set of M5x30mm mounting screws for $19.95 delivered.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts