BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
161 - 180 of 181 Posts

· Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,349 Posts
My local BMW dealer has 2-3 new 2021 R9Ts in stock, with a couple more expected to arrive soon. I'm looking forward to seeing the new bikes, but I think I'll be able to resist the urge to trade in my 2020 Pure. ;)

· Registered
13 Posts
Another thing we found out today. Pro-Race exhausts are near us and borrowed one to do photos. Seems the diameter of the pipe outlet/can inlet is 2mm bigger and the flappy paddle (exhaust servo) is now integrated into the can. No more valve eliminator without a new can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,349 Posts
I visited the local shop Saturday to see the new 2021 R9Ts. They had the 'classic' in Option 719 Aluminum paint scheme, with the 719 billet parts installed. What a terrific looking motorcycle. The styling is bolder but not garish by any means.

They also had a Pure in Teal Blue Metallic Matte. I'm not normally a fan of flat paint finishes, but I dig this one. What makes it look even better in my opinion is the black front fender with teal stripes, something you can't see in the photos online. This bike had the "Select" option package with adaptive headlight, cruise control, and rider modes. Also, both bikes had better tires than the Metzeler Z8s my bike (and most R9Ts) came with. I didn't note the shoes on the classic, but the Pure had Michelin Road 5 2CT tires.

I can't see trading my 2020 Pure for a new bike at this point, not after just six months and 3,000 miles of ownership. Also, I love my 2020's style (the Option 719 white/black paint scheme). Honestly, however, another part of this is just financial. I feel like I got a good deal on my current bike, and I'd also hate to start over on my motorcycle loan. I just need riding season to start soon so I can spend more time riding than looking at other bikes on the web! :LOL:

· Registered
2020 BMW R9T Pure, Ali tank.
808 Posts
I visited the local shop Saturday to see the new 2021 R9Ts. They had the 'classic' in Option 719 Aluminum paint scheme, with the 719 billet parts installed. What a terrific looking motorcycle. The styling is bolder but not garish by any means.

They also had a Pure in Teal Blue Metallic Matte. I'm not normally a fan of flat paint finishes, but I dig this one. What makes it look even better in my opinion is the black front fender with teal stripes, something you can't see in the photos online. This bike had the "Select" option package with adaptive headlight, cruise control, and rider modes. Also, both bikes had better tires than the Metzeler Z8s my bike (and most R9Ts) came with. I didn't note the shoes on the classic, but the Pure had Michelin Road 5 2CT tires.

I can't see trading my 2020 Pure for a new bike at this point, not after just six months and 3,000 miles of ownership. Also, I love my 2020's style (the Option 719 white/black paint scheme). Honestly, however, another part of this is just financial. I feel like I got a good deal on my current bike, and I'd also hate to start over on my motorcycle loan. I just need riding season to start soon so I can spend more time riding than looking at other bikes on the web! :LOL:
That gap you get between what your 2020 will trade in for and the price of a 2021 model looks awfully wide whenever I think about doing such a thing!
And would you really enjoy the ride any more?
Cheers, Ken.

· Registered
135 Posts
Ugh, while I'm not surprised, for 2021 North America (or at least in the US) finally got LED indicators on the NineT, however, we still get a different version than the rest of the world, I blame US D.O.T for this....here in the US the LED indicator lens is like a "frost white" and the entire housing illuminates when active; while the rest of the world apparently get the nicer "blacked out" and slimmer indicator which has a unique illumination design.

While I know there are better aftermarket options, for those interested in the EU Spec LED Indicator it is part # 63138557188

Attachments

· Registered
110 Posts
Ugh, while I'm not surprised, for 2021 North America (or at least in the US) finally got LED indicators on the NineT, however, we still get a different version than the rest of the world, I blame US D.O.T for this....here in the US the LED indicator lens is like a "frost white" and the entire housing illuminates when active; while the rest of the world apparently get the nicer "blacked out" and slimmer indicator which has a unique illumination design.

While I know there are better aftermarket options, for those interested in the EU Spec LED Indicator it is part # 63138557188
The new indicators seem to be a direct fit for previous model years. Do you know if the dealer still needs to flash the ECM so they work correctly?
Automotive lighting Automotive design Rectangle Automotive exterior Font

· Registered
52 Posts
The new indicators seem to be a direct fit for previous model years. Do you know if the dealer still needs to flash the ECM so they work correctly? View attachment 141509 View attachment 141509
If you want LED signals, go aftermarket. OEM is just going to be more expensive and probably less bright. I’d rather save money and get some bright LED signals (although they may be illegal)

· Registered
135 Posts
The new indicators seem to be a direct fit for previous model years. Do you know if the dealer still needs to flash the ECM so they work correctly?
On a 2017-2020, for sure you'll need either a resistor or flash the ECM for LED.

Mine is a 2016 (the 14-16 are less picky about LEDs) and I have fitted some cheap "BikeMaster 8 LED Turn Signals" and it didn't require a resistor nor have I ever flashed the ECM.

[I should add, that I did purchase the Rizoma Indicator plug and play pigtail harness and their plastic mounting adapters for a clean install]

· Registered
2017 R9T Classic
263 Posts
This past Saturday we had a nice weather day so I rode over to check out Bob's BMW (MD/USA). They had a 2021 roadster on the floor, all silver the average person would not notice a difference between the 2021 and previous year models. Main thing I'd like is the LED headlight. I wonder if BMW will make that an option to purchase and retrofit (probably not)

Ended up taking home a left side saddlebag inside my right side saddle bag.

Good to see they are making some improvements while keeping the look of the bike. I just got my 2017 in January so no chance I'm trading in most likely I'll get a faster 2nd bike with a faring.

· Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
794 Posts
The new indicators seem to be a direct fit for previous model years. Do you know if the dealer still needs to flash the ECM so they work correctly
In the US dealers are still not able to reflash the ECM to enable LED mode on pre-2021 bikes as far as I know. That option was removed from their software around 2018.

I wonder if BMW will make that an option to purchase and retrofit (probably not)
Several folks including myself have looked into it. Just the parts would be prohibitively expensive, considering everything from the mount forward would need to be swapped including the headlight bucket. The connectors appear to be different, without a standard H4. in addition none of the pre-2021 models have any option available for low resistance LED headlight mode so a resistor would most likely still be required in order to avoid a headlight error. You appear to be better off with any of the myriad available aftermarket sealed LED options.

· Registered
2021 Urban
102 Posts
First proper ride on my 21 UGS yesterday as we emerge from hibernation in the uk. Love it, more than any bike I’ve had. Only thing I’m disappointed in is the exhaust. Not too bad a sound (it’s the twin pipe Akrapovic) but zero pop on the over run. Euro 5 I guess. Even my previous gs 1250 did that, but this is supposed to be a modern classic. Anyone know if taking the baffles out will help?

· Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
794 Posts
First proper ride on my 21 UGS yesterday as we emerge from hibernation in the uk. Love it, more than any bike I’ve had. Only thing I’m disappointed in is the exhaust. Not too bad a sound (it’s the twin pipe Akrapovic) but zero pop on the over run. Euro 5 I guess. Even my previous gs 1250 did that, but this is supposed to be a modern classic. Anyone know if taking the baffles out will help?
View attachment 141612
if it is like the Euro4 the baffles are welded in. And no, removing baffles won’t suddenly give you overrun fuel to burn off.

· Registered
2018 Scrambler
7 Posts
New crop is looking good! I like the red frame on the UGS.
I don't personally see what all the fuss is about on the existing wheels, but it's nice to see BMW does listen.
I'm curious to see what the new airbox covers list for, it's a much cleaner look - hopefully, they will be less expensive than the Al ones on the /5.
I picked up a set of airbox/side covers for my 2018 scrambler today. I had to special order at the dealer and took two weeks from Germany. Surprisingly cheap for BMW, 28 bucks each! Then of course mounting bits and screws. It all came out to be around $79. And no, they don’t fit older models, even though the dealer said they would. Too new and they must have assumed… It will have to be a fabrication/modding project as stated above. If anyone is doing, or has already done it, please share. I love the look of these bad boys. The best part of the refresh in my opinion.

· Registered
85 Posts
I picked up a set of airbox/side covers for my 2018 scrambler today. I had to special order at the dealer and took two weeks from Germany. Surprisingly cheap for BMW, 28 bucks each! Then of course mounting bits and screws. It all came out to be around $79. And no, they don’t fit older models, even though the dealer said they would. Too new and they must have assumed… It will have to be a fabrication/modding project as stated above. If anyone is doing, or has already done it, please share. I love the look of these bad boys. The best part of the refresh in my opinion.

Agree 100% - at that price, I'm willing to do a work around. Did they give you part numbers? I've been searching for part fiches on the 21's but am not having any luck.

161 - 180 of 181 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.