BMW NineT Forum banner

521 - 540 of 544 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
For starters, my 2nd car back in the day was a 1968 GTO, so shout out to your name :-D

I got a Pure, and for exhaust, I tried a bunch of iterations with the single Pure exhaust, the double classic euro4 exhaust (fixed baffles) ,the double classic euro3 exhaust, with and without baffles.

One of the things that made it sound "healthier" was git rid of the servo flap doo hickey.
Then adjust exhausts to taste.
Gotta get the tone right.

I'm about to upgrade the rear shock, but pondering the Bilstein below.
If nothing else, it looks cool as all heck

Cheers
When you pulled the exhaust servo flap doo hickey did it require the ECM be re-tuned ? Some how I got the idea that it would run lean and possibly burn valves .. yes ... no ? This is my first fuel injected bike. I can tune a normally aspirated engine but this is over my head. The ECM tool (looks like a cell phone) is like $600. I’d have to read the manual from cover to cover just to turn it on.
In 1968 I had a canary yellow Chevelle 396 with Hurst 4 linelock
almost killed myself a few times but what fun that was ! GTO’s were my biggest competition in 1/4 mile and whipped me many times.

·
Registered
2019 R Nine T Pure
43 Posts
No re-tune, servo flap is for noise. And pretty sure minor changes in exhaust are automatically adjust for.

Man, we were hooked up in the Car department back then yoe !!!

When you pulled the exhaust servo flap doo hickey did it require the ECM be re-tuned ?

In 1968 I had a canary yellow Chevelle 396 with Hurst 4 linelock
almost killed myself a few times but what fun that was ! GTO’s were my biggest competition in 1/4 mile and whipped me many times.

·
Registered
610 Posts
There is some do-dad that plugs in somewhere that fools the electronics into thinking the flapper is still there. What’s that called ? I read somewhere you get a fault light on the instrument cluster with out that do-dad plug. Yes ? I’ll order the connection tube to replace the flapper do-dad .... I wonder if the pipe clamps will work on the new tube. Yes ? Thanks for your time and help. I’m an old shade tree Mechanic on my way out. I’m from the era of points and condensers, plugs and needle valves and fuel jets. I really appreciate you overlooking my ignorance.

·
Registered
2019 R Nine T Pure
43 Posts
Servo Buddy, below is what I used

Clamps worked fine, the above 2 was all I needed

·
Registered
610 Posts
Wow, this is my first experience in a forum. You guys are great, thank you, especially rick.
Thank you my friends ... and whoa-whoa my little GTO turn it on ..rev it up ..burn it out GTO!
Just placed my order with Revzilla ... thanks again ✌

·
Registered
89 Posts
Can anyone confirm that there is negligible difference be it noise or torque when said flapper is removed ??

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,625 Posts
More noise at low rpm but not excessive, I never noticed any torque decrease.

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,625 Posts
Well you did ask... lol

I did it for the better noise, fair enough if you feel that's not a good enough reason. We are all different. :)

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I removed mine to clean up the back end when removing the charcoal thingy and the rear sub frame.
I like quiet exhausts and found mine too noisy after performing the flapperectomy, so considering putting it back.
Ken.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I removed mine to clean up the back end when removing the charcoal thingy and the rear sub frame.
I like quiet exhausts and found mine too noisy after performing the flapperectomy, so considering putting it back.
Ken.

Have you changed back Ken ?

·
Registered
R nine t 2014
34 Posts
I've probably added to the wrong thread as the flapper seems to be a popular subject with multiple threads.
Anyway went to my local silencer manufacturer and got a 67mm 2.5inch diameter peice of stainless pipe today. A quick job it was not. The bolts were seized solid and I ended up cutting off the bolts. Now I have the "nuts" soaking in penatrating fluid to try and free them. If I can't are they available to buy?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,388 Posts
The bolts were seized solid and I ended up cutting off the bolts. Now I have the "nuts" soaking in penatrating fluid to try and free them. If I can't are they available to buy?
Thanks.
The nuts and bolts are sold as a set with the exhaust clamps.
You may be able to get similar sized high tensile replacements elsewhere.

Description: CLAMP - D=66MM
Part #: 18 12 7 716 478

·
Registered
R nine t 2014
34 Posts
Thank you. I've managed to save the originals now.
Next question, if I'm going to keep the "black box" and tuck it away, how do you separate it from the pipe please?

·
Registered
R nine t 2014
34 Posts
For fear of driving people mad asking the same question if I just unplug the unit and leave the plug open circuit will it cause any errors/faults?

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Did you do anything with the plug Ken?
Yes, went to a member here, along with the bit of tubing that replaced the flap valve.
Cheers,Ken.
PS. Not sure that’s the answer you wanted.
When I did the Flapperectomy I bought a bit that plugged in in place of the valve plug to prevent faults registering.

·
Registered
R nine t 2014
34 Posts
Yes Ken it was. Without the plug does it show a fault light on the clocks or just register a fault in the ecu?

521 - 540 of 544 Posts